Tournament Prices. Wrestling has it right.

BJJ/No gi tournaments are a bit ridiculous price wise.

80 dollars to compete in one division at the bigger tournaments.

USA Wrestling had it right when I was a kid. You paid 50 dollars in the beginning of the year for your membership card. I'm assuming this gave you some kind of yearly insurance policy. Then every tournament was about 30-50 bucks.

If you competed twice, you already beat out Grapplers quest or Naga.

I think Judo has the same policy through the USJF/A. So my question is, why isn't there some sort of sanctioning body that does this for BJJ/grappling? It's certainly big enough.

Thoughts?

Yes, Judo is very similar. Membership card then about $30 for a tournament.

BJJ is big enough, but it is still fairly young as a big deal in the states. As the sport becomes more organized there will likely be something like the USJF that pops up.

USAW/FILA is already on it. they need our support.

forumnewb - USAW/FILA is already on it. they need our support.

Any info on this?

I get the USA Wrestling magazine, and there is always an article about submission grappling.

Liborio is the coach of the USA national grappling team.

Kids wrestling is ridiculously cheap. Where I live, each tournament only costs $15 maximum, and each kid gets to wrestle at least 3 matches. A tournament with 1000 wrestlers usually has the wrestling start just after 9am and the day is completely over by around 3-4pm. Most kids come home with some sort of trophy or medal as well. My son's room is filled with that stuff.

Our kid club charges $80 per season, and the kid gets a membership to USA Wrestling, a set of workout clothes, free hotel if they make it to state, and a nice dinner/ceremony at the end of the season.

JerseyJoeJitsu - 
forumnewb - USAW/FILA is already on it. they need our support.

Any info on this?

http://www.themat.com/

yes, but wrestling tournaments are over before 9pm. bjj tournaments may be expensive, but they run much much longer. would you rather spend $50 on a 3 hour tournament or $100 on a 10 hour tournament?

eviladam - yes, but wrestling tournaments are over before 9pm. bjj tournaments may be expensive, but they run much much longer. would you rather spend $50 on a 3 hour tournament or $100 on a 10 hour tournament?

...I'd rather not be there for 10 hours if that's what you're asking.

eviladam - yes, but wrestling tournaments are over before 9pm. bjj tournaments may be expensive, but they run much much longer. would you rather spend $50 on a 3 hour tournament or $100 on a 10 hour tournament?

Hope this is meant as a joke

tourist - I get the USA Wrestling magazine, and there is always an article about submission grappling.

Liborio is the coach of the USA national grappling team.

Kids wrestling is ridiculously cheap. Where I live, each tournament only costs $15 maximum, and each kid gets to wrestle at least 3 matches. A tournament with 1000 wrestlers usually has the wrestling start just after 9am and the day is completely over by around 3-4pm. Most kids come home with some sort of trophy or medal as well. My son's room is filled with that stuff.

Our kid club charges $80 per season, and the kid gets a membership to USA Wrestling, a set of workout clothes, free hotel if they make it to state, and a nice dinner/ceremony at the end of the season.

Yeah well, has your son ever brought home a fucking samurai sword?! Because I have. Just sayin...

As a militant capitalist, I have no problem whatsoever with $80 for a BJJ tournament. I do have a problem with a single ref on the mat with no rotating corner judges.

For wrestling now you pay like $50 for an annual usa card, and u pay $5-$10 for each tournament. So much cheaper than bjj

you guys seem to forget that wrestling is a established sport in the highschool and college lvl and gets funding from the government. BJJ does not...

I'm thinking of doing a wrestling tournament next weekend.

This is why I like the US Grappling circuit. I can get a minimum of 4 matches if I want and thats just if I stick to my age group. If I was nuts I could try and get 8.

CJJScout - I'm thinking of doing a wrestling tournament next weekend.

I will be there to watch :)

blanko - you guys seem to forget that wrestling is a established sport in the highschool and college lvl and gets funding from the government. BJJ does not...

USA Wrestling gets funding from the government for low level local tournaments? I'm honestly asking, not critiquing.

My understanding was that the Olympic committee distributed funds to prospective high level wrestlers who were trying out for the olympic team. I didn't think they actually helped fund tourneys.

Judo Scott - This is why I like the US Grappling circuit. I can get a minimum of 4 matches if I want and thats just if I stick to my age group. If I was nuts I could try and get 8.

Nice plug lol.

JerseyJoeJitsu - 
Judo Scott - This is why I like the US Grappling circuit. I can get a minimum of 4 matches if I want and thats just if I stick to my age group. If I was nuts I could try and get 8.

Nice plug lol.

lol.. its unsolicited though!

The pan ams just had 2800 competitors sign up. Why would they lower their fee? Imagine if they charged only $25, how ridiculous would it be?