Toxic Cleansing

Riiight... again, I have to ask you, where's the evidence that a diet, specifically the ones touted by Weil and that particular hooey circle-jerk, does anything to help with persistant chemicals?

Now I'm no clinical toxicologist, but I take a passing interest in the basics of the topic, so, I'm curious.

evidence....

thats a touchy subject because it always depends on who does it and who you ask. for example here some things that are just assumed but can be disproved when studied:

high cholesterol has an increased risk for heart disease.

If you look at the data on heart attacks, there is an equal amount of people with low cholesterol having heart attacks. Then there are people who have high (250+) living for years and not having one. So depending on which doctors or studies you read, the answer can go either way.

another...

eating animal fat causes high cholesterol. Again studies havent really shown this. It just assumed. Atkins people have alot of references to these studies. But studies have shown that eating bad fats like trans fat cause more high cholesterol than eating saturated/animal fats. Again it depends on who does it.

I can find you (i dont want too) studies that say that the cause of disease comes from being polluted. I've seen the references in many books. But they can all be discredited if you want too.

The only way to prove to yourself if this "theory" is true is to try it yourself or have a client/friend/family member do a cleanse and see if it works. I have done them and had others do them to address their problems. And i have had good success. Not 100%, but very good.

Why all the Dr. Weil hate? He's a Harvard Medical School graduate who has traveled all over the world learning about different health care practices and has cured more people of their chronic ailments and diseases than most doctors could ever dream.

You probly read that on the man's own website.

he's a quack.

Goku= "The only way to prove to yourself if this "theory" is true is to try it yourself or have a client/friend/family member do a cleanse and see if it works."

This is precisely incorrect. There's a reason that scientific testing involves the procedures that it does. Trying it for yourself is distinctly un-scientific: you lack controls, you lack outside observation, you lack blinds, and you're emotionally and financially invested in the outcome. ONE test is an anecdote; anecdotes are useful in some cases, however determining the efficacy of a treatment is not one of them.

I'm not sure how you got started on cholesterol and heart attacks, considering the topic of the thread is toxic cleansing. Again, do you have any credible evidence that these things are effective or even necessary?

And just to be clear about what I mean by 'these things' I mean things like bentonite, enemas, chelation, 'detox' diets, etc.

"And unless you have a tapeworm, or that fish that swims up your dick"

LOL!

"high cholesterol has an increased risk for heart disease.

If you look at the data on heart attacks, there is an equal amount of people with low cholesterol having heart attacks. Then there are people who have high (250+) living for years and not having one. So depending on which doctors or studies you read, the answer can go either way."

Gokuryu, refreshing to see more people are learning about the cholesterol myth.

"So depending on which doctors or studies you read, the answer can go either way."

You got that right, especially when there are conflicts of interest, unfavoarble studies not published and ignored, ties to the drug companies - and all well documented.

Are you saying that Ive been taking MILK THISTLE for my livers health and its not doing anything? That Im just wasting my money?

Hmm I dont know Ive felt much better and more regulare while taking it then when off.

Milk thistle seems to do something with preventing liver diseases. The problem I have with the terms 'toxin' and 'cleansing' is that they're so vague they're basically meaningless. In many cases you can get very specific information about what the supplements you take do, even though this is rarely published by the people selling it to you. I'll let you make your own conclusions as to why this is the case.

Here's an abstract that may be of interest. If you have access to a college library or something, you can probly get the whole article- click

Great post.

The best thing is to first make sure that your body has everything that it needs to do its job in taking care of itself (nutrition).

As for supplements, a new and pretty amazing (based on anecdotal evidence) dietary supplement is Phytoplankton (Marine Microalge) from the west coast of Canada.

Compare it to any vitamin or other supplement.. You will see...

You have to check it out. Well worth your time, I'll guarantee that you wont feel like your time was wasted looking at this stuff.

Read about it here www.bjjequipment.com/phyto.asp

I have been taking it for about two months. The first thing that myself, my son, and our bjj professor noticed is that our mental clarity increased.. almost immediately...