Trade Paperbacks - Not as Cool?

Up until very recently, I wouldn't even consider buying a TPB. I always thought the personal value of the books were far less than actually owning the first printing of the comic, and I would much rather pay the market value for the titles.

I'm just now getting around to changing my mind because i don't have lot of extra cash. You know, starting to think that I'll never finish my full run of Incredible Hulk :(

What are your thoughts on TPB? Love them and the value, or do you think it's far better to just buy the comics?

What are your thoughts on TPB?

I love tpbs!

I buy them instead of getting the individual issues because they are much, much more affordable. I also buy them because it makes it easier to read complete arcs in one sitting.

i haven't really bought a lot of tpb's, i like them monthly, on the titles i really really read and follow closely, i buy and read monthly. there are others i buy but i wait for the story arc to finish and then i read them in one sitting.

one good thing about tpb, if they have them, are the extras.

What kind of extras do some of them contain?

scripts, sketchbooks, the covers without text, alternate covers, covers used and unused, character sketches, etc.

TPBs are the shit. I gave up on comic speculation about 10 years ago so I no longer kid myself into thinking that I'll actually sell my good books for any real money ya know?

I seldom if ever buy monthlies anymore. Now I look at titles and tell myself, "just wait till the trade paper comes out". Cheaper and you get the full story or arc. Don't have to worry about bagging them either.

I prefer TPB/hardcover editions. They look so much neater on a shelf.

However, the wait for them to come out in that format is sometimes annoying. Fortunately, Bittorrent can be used to alleviate that.

Honestly, i still prefer buying the comics if i can. The TPBs are good to buy for the for old stories that are just a pain in the ass to track down as back issues. TPBs are just very convient and the thing that i like about them is that i can give a title a try by buying a TPB, read an arc on what the title consists and from there decide if i want to collect the comics or other TPBs.

I go half and half with tpb's and comics. I get all the Ultimate stuff in tpb, really any Marvel story for that matter because within a month of a storyline finishing its out on trade.

so can i just go out and read every uncanny xmen in TPB form?

enlighten me, oh mighty geekground

so can i just go out and read every uncanny xmen in TPB form?

Unfortunately no.

Marvel has collected some x-men stories in tpb, but nowhere near all. It also complicates things that Marvel will collect, say the first 50 issues in a tpb, and then release a tpb for issues 208-218, so you're out of luck for issues 51-207. A lot depends on how "popular" the title was, and how well the title sold.

Having said that, I thought that Marvel had committed to their Masterworks program, which will reprint all "old" comics, in order, starting with issue #1, but who knows.... Marvel has released a DVD that contains the first 200 issues of Spiderman....perhaps if that does well, they will start doing that with other titles.

Not even script control over Star Wars Episode VII? :-P

because of this forum i have just recently begun to buy TPB....

"Marvel has released a DVD that contains the first 200 issues of Spiderman....perhaps if that does well, they will start doing that with other titles. "

a friend has seen these and says the scans are crappy work and on some or one page(s), there's a pen mark! Photoshop is pretty powerful and can fix up a lot of scans. this seems like Marvel is testing the waters and seeing what is the least amount of work they can do to get your $.

"Having said that, I thought that Marvel had committed to their Masterworks program, which will reprint all "old" comics, in order, starting with issue #1, but who knows"

For the Masterworks if you want them cheap go to Barnes and Noble. They have softback versions which are cheaper than the hardback. I just saw the other day 5 volumes for the Amazing Spiderman.

that's awesome news dude. i was worried about spending the $50 even tho i spent $40 on back issues today :P

Being very picky in what I buy, it annoys me when a trade I want to buy isn't produced in the best quality.

Hardcover editions will skimp on the "extra" material and give you the bare minimum of covers pre-inking/coloring.

Other times, when the back catalogue is being reprinted in trade format, the inking looks like it's fading and/or the coloring hasn't been redone so it still has the polka-dot pattern. Both of which detracts from the art, imo.

The new trade of the current Swamp Thing series is actually pretty good for a basic tpb. Glossy paper, 6 issues @ 22 pages an issue all for $9.95. DC should make all their trades look like this.

If anyone was as confused as i was on which Xmen issues they've covered in TPB form so far, this guy made a pretty nice list:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/36XQHDTFG9FJB/ref=cm_lm_lists/103-9507149-4300651

"Being very picky in what I buy, it annoys me when a trade I want to buy isn't produced in the best quality."

on the other hand i tried to get a trade of the JLA/Avengers thing and the only one they had was the double dip deluxe hardcover for $75......a bit much...

True, but I'm willing to shell out big bucks for the legendary stories that are a perfect blend of both writing and art.

Graphitti Designs has put out deluxe hardcover slipcase editions of Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, and Kingdom Come which go for easily over $100 on e-bay, but they are worth it, imo, as true masterpieces of the medium.

The Absolute editions of Authority are also worth it, imo.

My dream package would be several hardcover volumes collecting John Byrne's run on uncanny x-men with tons of extras like commentary, sketches, linear notes, other art of the X-men by John byrne done outside his run, etc... Say three volumes with imprinted covers, no dustjackets, in a slipcase!

I'm pretty sure JLA/Avengers will be released in a SC TPB later this year.