Training after a tattoo

My latest "piece"

man, I want that!

My freng jjd's tat.

Andre..2 inches? Wait 2 weeks before training. Once the scab comes off
then you are Ok to train. Rub AD ointment on the tattoo.

Carlos Jr and Feitosa doesn´t look 100% hetero on those pics.

Depends on where it is. Generally 2 weeks before you roll again. Keep it lubed and covered (allthough make sure you wash it off good post practice, cuz the tattoo needs to be able to breathe to heal).

It's gonna be about a month and a half before it's really healed. But with care, you can roll after the initial healing is over (ie: 2 weeks).

I've had a tat get staph infected though..not a pleasant experience..so use common sense.

The why:

A fresh tattoo is basically a glorified mat burn..it's opened and raw skin. What happens to mat burns that you don't give time to heal? Right, they take way longer to close up and heal over.

Simple as that.

keep it clean with neosporin under gauze.

I've been told a week until you roll. I got my last one done in Japan by Enson Inoue's tattooist, Takumi. He said Enson rolls on the same day.

I waited 2 days after the one on my back....I'm such a wimp.

GirthVader..Ringworm and staph infection...my school is notorious for
having some of the dirtiest gi's around. Since the tat is fresh it will more
prone to infection. Two weeks is the normal waiting period..I started
training after 1 week after my tat.

take this to the tattoo ground

dont listen to the advise on here - all wrong

you dont put A&D on it after the first day - EVER and then, if yo can see a shine, wipe off the excess -

different tats of mine required different times -

the longest was 3 weeks the shortest 3 days - if the scabs aint peeling, your safe - I'd give it 1-2 weeks - before rolling - but you can drill - wear a rash guard just so the gi isnt scrapping the fresh tat

andre, just keep that arm tucked inside your belt while training for a few weeks

some different answers here, but I may as well add my own, because I have experience in this area. Im heavily tattooed, and whenever I get work done, I wait until all the scab is gone before resuming bjj. This could range from a week to anywhere near a month depending on the area, but for most spots that arent on areas like elbow, ditch, etc itll be about a week.

The new skin will be very painful and easily irritated, but you wont be susceptible to infection or damaging the tattoo once the scab is gone. Personally Id wait about 2 weeks, but if you must at least wait until all the scab has fallen off and don't pick at it.

As for healing ointment, the best stuff I've used is burt's bees hand salve. You should be able to get it at most drug stores, apply a thin layer 3-4 times a day. If you can't get this, use first aid vitamin E ointment.