Training after hip replacement

I have been doing jiu-jitsu for over 20 years and my body is just wearing out. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer ignore or continue with my right hip in the present condition. I had it checked out recently and it appears as if a hip replacement is inevitable. Probably sooner rather than later.  My question to you guys is do you know of people who have continued to train after hip replacement surgery?  If any of you have experience with this I would love to ask you questions. 

I train with a friend of mine,  double hip replacement, in his fifties, still going.  Took about a year after the surgery to get back to hard rolling.

I had a total hip replacement on 02/08/16 my doctor said I could start training again.. my only restrictions are no running or playing tennis.. I could have returned to training after 6 months, but I got lazy, I really need to get back in..

My right hip is fucked too. How bad did your pain get before u went in for a diagnosis? I'm? stretching every morning but pain is still there. Do u limp when u walk?

I worked on the pain for about 2 years, at the end of 2015 I was walking into work and leaving using a cain, and pushing a cart around during work thru out the day, the company was great to me about it. The reason i waited so long was because, I was close to being 50years old and 30 years of service in the Carpenters and was going to retire before I had the surgery. It didn't matter, they changed the retirement age to 55 about 6 months before I was 50

deepu - My right hip is fucked too. How bad did your pain get before u went in for a diagnosis? I'm? stretching every morning but pain is still there. Do u limp when u walk?

The pain became unbearable at times. Sometimes I would wake up in the morning after a night of training and couldn't walk. Stretching does nothing when you have physical problems with the joint.  It has gotten progressively worse over the last two years. 

When I was getting x-rayed the x-ray technician said from behind the protective shield "Oh my God!" Which is something you never want to hear an x-ray technician say.  Currently my hip joint is loaded with arthritis and bone spurs and looks something like a cactus.  

Arthritis is a bitch for sure. I had my first acl done over 25 years ago so it's kicked in nicely now. Feeling my right hip for the last 5 years now. Anyway, good to hear that getting your hip redone is not the end of the world.

Danaher

Thought Danaher was going to retire due to hip issues? Maybe not Coach, but still train I guess.

Irish Pride - Thought Danaher was going to retire due to hip issues? Maybe not Coach, but still train I guess.

I think it's the knee replacement that is forcing him to retire, not hip.  From my understanding, hip replacement is not as bad as a knee replacement when it comes to sports.  Hip replacements have come a long way recently.

we have a blackbelt with a hip replacement

he still smashes everyone

AlphaSlap -

we have a blackbelt with a hip replacement

he still smashes everyone

Great to hear.   Is there any way you could pm me with some contact info for him.  I would love to ask him some questions.  

arthritic left hip.....good to hear people can bounce back from hip replacements. But id rather (and have) throttle back on training intensity and avoid it if possible.

I can see it being worse for someone working as a carpenter like indysjiujitsu, where even if tryimg to train more moderately your job just wear&tears on you.