training again after a long layoff

Hi Roy I recently had some issues which have interrupted my training for a long period of time .Obviously after returning my ego and body have took a beating . Classmates who I used to handle with ease are enjoying taking thier revenge on me :)

I knew my conditioning would be bad , the only excercise I get is through BJJ class. What concerned me was alot of my basics were off like proper posture in guard ,breaking grips off of my lapel, and proper positioning on basic positions.

Are there any drills I can do in my free time away from the gym to correct my technical mistakes. Do you have any experience with the bubba dummy as opposed to a live partner.

SgtMac,

Here are a few ideas for training on your own:

1. Stairs or hills for 10 minutes a day, every day for 30 days. These will whip your butt into shape very quickly.

2. Stretch out your hamstrings, quadriceps, gluts, lower abs, lower back, upper abs, mid-back, chest, shoulders and neck. Stretching these out will help prevent injuries and make you more supple for grappling. Perform static AND dynamic stretches.

3. Shadown grapple. How does one do this? Simple. Use your imagination just like when you were a little kid. Imagine you are grappling in a submission wrestling tournament against Rickson Gracie and your match is for the title. Go through every position imaginable: Mount, side mount, guard, knee on belly, north and south, scarf hold, take the back, etc... Go through every submission and sweep you know: Arm lock, collar choke, heel hook, knee bar, elevator sweep, scissors sweep, etc... Stand up in base and then shoot in for a double leg takedown. Mix them all into your shadow grappling session. Do three rounds of five minutes.

4. If you have a grappling dummy, use it to bang out a few hundred reps of your favorite and your weakest techniques (each training session).

In short, if you want to get back to where you were when you stopped training, you can get there in one to two months of training. However, you'll have to train like a fanatic for those 30 to 60 days! Now, this doesn't mean you'll have to quit your job or anything drastic like that. However, you will have to dedicate 45 to 90 minutes each and every day for the next 30 to 60 days (this means you'll have to train twice on days you go to the academy).

If you are willing to do this, I believe you will be back to your old self in 60 days. Plus, the benefits you will have gained from doing this for 60 days will lay a solid foundation for you to take your game to the next level by late summer or early fall (read "September").

NOTE: Make sure you make time for sleep, relaxation and a decent diet during these 60 days!

Good luck on your journey,

Roy Harris