Training for a Toughman comp.

I know a lot of you guys are serious athletes and fighters. I do not even work out consistently but I may be fighting in 2 months in a toughman contest, just for fun. I was thinking on top of my bagwork and sparring some calisthenics and plyos would help. The whole bout is 3 x 1 minute rounds so cardio is not a factor. Any suggestions for particular exercises? I havce never done much of either before, so it's new to me. My main focus is working on my skills, but I think I would greatly benefit from this extra conditioning

I'll post on this tomorrow.

I just bought my boys "guitar hero" for PS2...gonna be a long night...we're compteting on Iron Man right now...damn them!

From my experience; endurance and skill will be a factor.

But, in your case, endurance is key.

More tomorrow.

SCRAP

actually 3x1 minute rounds will be a helluva lot to handle if you don't
box normally... the adrenaline plus some guy throwing wild bombs will
cause you to tire quickly... i would actually spar a lot... if you can
complete 5-6x3 minute rounds... you will be able to handle to
toughman... bag work and shadow boxing will help you out too...

on a regular conditiong side note... try taku's intervals

www.trainforstrength.com

Mac is correct. If you don't regularly box, those rounds are going to seem like eternity. Conditioning is going to be crucial.

Go to my site: www.trainforstrength.com, click on the Workouts link, and go to Taku's Intervals.

You have enough time to complete an entire cycle.

SCRAP

Priority on sparring and learning to jab. Sparring rounds is actually a great interval training methodology that is "sport specific" for toughman! ;-)

Make sure you are good and hydrated starting 2 days before the fight. (assuming weight isn't a problem).

Hopefully have someone knowledgeable in your corner. I personally think toughman contests are a bad idea...boxing is dangerous enough with proper supervision and experienced participants. If you end up facing a ringer you want someone to throw in the towel so you don't become their highlite KO of the night.

I knew a guy who had pro boxing fights who would do toughmen in small towns. He'd drink a 6 pack beforehand and still decimate these locals. Wasn't pretty or fair.

LOL

Reminds of a fight I had in a boxing smoker. I beat the brakes outta this guy for the first and half the second round til I had absolutely jack squat left. He then proceeded to pick his shots and was able to score enough points to beat me by split decision.

I am still pissed too

It was three-two minute rounds w/ olympic scoring.

I saw two regional Toughman contests live. In almost every fight, by the third round, all the fighters could do was stare at each other, with their hands down by their thighs, GASPING for air. Do cardio AND learn to breathe while you're sparring, with a mouthguard in your mouth.

You didn't say if you are getting professional coaching or just hitting the bag on your own. Get profesional help.

Work on your defense, especially against guys throwing wild haymakers. Learn to watch their shoulders to spot the movement early. Learn the proper way to bob & weave, block, feint, etc. before you spar. When you spar, do a few rounds where you're only doing defense.

Definitely train with your mouthpiece in.  Otherwise, I'd follow Macfight's advice as closely as possible.  I've fought in a couple Toughman contests, if you can throw straight punches, move laterally, and not gas you'll do just fine.  Have fun with it man.

In this event, cardio is KING! Technique is a close second. I have seen good fighers lose to inferior fighters because of cardio alone.

Do TONS of sprint work and two minute rounds of punching the bag as hard / fast as you can (left, right, left, right, left, right, etc...). You will need to build endurance in your shoulders and your legs. I can't stress this enough.

The crowd and associated adrenaline dump will drain your cardio ability. Training will not avoid this but training can give you a big enough gas tank that the effect is minimized.

Sparring is good (obviously) but it's tough to spar at 100% for a variety of reasons. Injury to you and/or your training partners is one major reason. Do not rely only on sparring to provide you enough energy to last. Sparring in your gym, with your training partner is NOT even close to the same.

Also, consider that you will be fighting multiple times in one night (assuming you win). This means that by the time you get cooled down and the soreness starts settling in, you'll have to fight again!

work on throwing punches the entire bout

a little lateral movment and straight punches usually does well in toughman comps

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com

I would do punch out drills like ross enamit talks about on his website. Do 6 x 1 minute rounds hitting the bag as fast and hard as possible to get your cardio conditioning up.

nothing sucks more than gassing....cardio will help you ignore that tired feeling but it doesnt really go away

"Sparring is good (obviously) but it's tough to spar at 100% for a variety of reasons. Injury to you and/or your training partners is one major reason. Do not rely only on sparring to provide you enough energy to last. Sparring in your gym, with your training partner is NOT even close to the same. "

if you do it at 85% round robin style (new partner every round), your gas will improve a helluva lot...

injuries happen in training... it's a matter of fact of combat sports... i have broken fingers, toes, nose, etc in sparring sessions but would still fight with any of those injuries... any more serious, i would put off the fight depending on how close it is to the fight....

the people who suggested heavy bag intervals were totally correct too... it will help with the lactic burn you are gonna feel in the shoulders

"The whole bout is 3 x 1 minute rounds so cardio is not a factor"

Cardio is a factor. Do Taku's intervals. Additionally, if you haven't boxed before, you need to spar at 100% a few times before your fight.

I agree that sparring is a very integral part of training. It should help you with your technique, strategy, and confidence.

The reason I wouldn't use it as sole source of cardio training is that it will most likely not be at the same intensity as the real event. Your training partner is not going to attempt to knock you out. He might hit you hard but there will most likely be an internal switch that's not turned on. This switch will make him not go for it 100%.

When you fight in the ring, your opponent will be swinging for the fences. Every punch will come at you with the intent of hurting you! It's this difference in intent that will make the situations totally different. (Less of an adrenaline dump and less of you swinging with 100%)

Beyond that, sparring in your gym will not factor in the crowd. Your nerves will be wired.

In closing, sparring is integral. There is no question, you should spar. Just don't rely on it as your sole source of cardio. You should add in "punch out drills" (thanks for the term frankshamrockfan), Taku's intervals, and jump rope rounds at a minimum.

Oh, and don't forget to work on dirty boxing. This is usually allowed and has occasionally led to a less skilled "boxer" winning the fight.

"The reason I wouldn't use it as sole source of cardio training is that it will most likely not be at the same intensity as the real event."

It is a good idea to spar at high intensity before competition. You don't need to gym war every day, but if you've never boxed before the intesity level of a fight is something no amount of Taku's intervals or jump rope can simulate.

Good point Todd.

If you decide to go 100% in sparring, I highly suggest that you use 16oz gloves and very good head gear at a minimum. This should help to minimize training injuries. (not to mention that 16oz gloves is the weight you'll use for Toughman)

straight punches for the whole round, chin tucked. and follow the bag. Plus takus intervals.

Damn. I got the forms to fill out, and it is Tough GLOVES(like I thought it would be), not toughman(I first read this on the the toughman site). To fight I have to join USA boxing, become an official amateur boxer. I have taken many of your suggestions and am training heavy, and for the first time in a well rounded manner (weightlifting was all I ever did, some calisthenics as a kid). I am not going to enter this one. These are real people. I am going to seek out a trainer, and someone who knows what they're doing to spar with before I do this, and keep training like I have been, but I am going to do it, not sure when the next one will be. Maybe this looks cowardly to you guys but these guys know what they are doing, all my instruction and simulation training has been Rodney King and Bas dvd's and a 80lb heavybag. I will be going thru with it but am going to be ready.

Good decision. Getting beat up never makes one better.

"I am not going to enter this one. These are real people. I am going to seek out a trainer"