Training Update No. 9

So here's the latest....

Unfortunately for me, my Muay Thai training isn't really taking off. I am totally focused on my fighters right now, which means that I don't have time to be training Muay Thai myself. Sure, I do a little shadowboxing, and a little bagwork and padwork here and there, but predominantly I am supervising my students and fighters.

Those are the breaks. I've had my opportunities and now its their turn. Perhaps I will have another chance in the future, but right now is not the time.

On the other hand, I have increased my running distance. On Monday-Wednesday-Friday, I go to the gym EARLY and running FIVE miles before class. I have been keeping track of the time it takes, and I have dropped my time from 55 min's to 49 minutes!

Out of curiosity, I have entered this info into a computer fitness program at the YMCA and found that these 5 mile runs are burning approximately 880-920 calories, depending on how "intense" the run is.

I have increased the weight of most of my lifts by a plate or two recently. The increase in weight for the various leg training I do isn't too bad, but I really feel it in the upper body. (My upper body has ALWAYS been weak compared to my legs)

I have entirely stopped doing "fly's" at the gym due to how they aggravate my left shoulder. I may have the beginnings of a rotater cuff problem there, but the only exercise that seems to truly aggravate it is the "fly's". By dropping that exercise from my training regimine, I no longer have shoulder pain.

I have FINALLY broken the 190lb barrier! Yesterday, at the beginning of my afternoon workout, I weighed 188lbs. After running 1 mile (in 8.5 min's, which I found to be rather disappointing), lifting, and sitting in the Sauna for a few minutes, I finished at 183.5lbs! Granted, I know my "true" weight is still in the neighborhood of 188-190lbs, but it was still nice to see that I've gotten below 190lbs at all. I was starting to get peeved about the plateau that I had hit.

Awesome job Brooks!!!!!!

I am really very proud of you since I can still remember what you looked like the one time we met.What you have done is quite an accomplishment.

Judah Ciervo

Ouch, don't remind me.

For those of you who don't know, Judah and I met back in 2001, when I was pretty much at my heaviest. I weighed over 250lbs!!!

I've lost approximately 65lbs since then!

Khun Kao

FYI:

On Wednesday afternoon, before teaching my class, I ran 5 miles in 45 minutes!

WOOHOO!!! That is the pace that I *used* to run at while fight training back in the day. I don't know if I'll be able to maintain that pace all the time, but its good to know that I *can* do it.

Mind you, I was pretty much useless for the rest of the evening. I couldn't participate in the class drills too much, but I am getting there. Gotta keep plugging away at it.

Khun Kao

So, I got up this AM and went to the gym.

My weight this AM at the start of my workout was 183lbs.

I rode the exercise bike for 20 min's, maintaining my RPM in the 130 range. Keeping my pulse rate in the 120 range also. Towards the end, I picked up my pace and tried to spend the last few minutes really hoofing it. I got my RPM up to about 155, but could not get my pulse to go above 145.

I did a few reps of weights, and then sat in the Sauna for a few minutes.

Finishing weight: 181lbs.

Khun Kao

Great Job Khun Kao it show what a little determination can do, Congrats