Training while sore?

Not weightlifting, but kickboxing or jiu jitsu. If your muscles are sore from training, should you continue to train or wait until the soreness subsides?

I'm thinking of the military, where they continue to excercise while sore. After the first two days of bootcamp, those guys HAVE to be torn up. But they get no time off, and somehow they get in shape with minimal injuries.

Depends on the severity of the soreness. A little soreness shouldn't stop you from training but if you can barely move then take a few days off.

...I'm thinking of the military, where they continue to excercise while sore. After the first two days of bootcamp, those guys HAVE to be torn up. But they get no time off, and somehow they get in shape with minimal injuries.

Your body will adapt to just about anything, for a while at least. That is how guys get through stuff like BUD/S, Ranger school, etc. You'd probably be surprised at how many injuries there are at boot camp. I don't know about the other branches, but during three years instructor duty at Navy boot camp, I saw a LOT of recruits walking slowly behind the division, hobbling on crutches, etc. There are also fatalities, usually from stuff that couldn't be prevented. There was a case of 2-3 recruits dying before I got there in 2000 from spinal meningitis. It wasn't caught by doctors until it was too late. Then there was the girl who keeled over during the PFT from heart failure...PT staff failed to see the note in her training jacket that she was on BP meds...

Saint, do you think a person should continue to train while sore, or let the muscles completely heal? In other words, will the body adapt or breakdown?

No, you can train through soreness. It doesn't mean anything.. except that you could be in better shape.

Dragging rules for both alleviating and preventing soreness. Lower and upperbody.

Slightly sore - train more. So sore you can't perform the exercises properly - take another day off. I usually figure out a plan that I can do and stick to it. If my muscles (usually legs) are too sore, I'll take a day off.

minimal injuries in the army? I don't know about that. I know alot of people that had overuse injuries in the army.

L-Glutamine, L-Carnitine, and zinc. That'll take care of the soreness, so that it's at least manageable throughout the classes, if not outright get rid of them.

I'm on the pendulum training program right now (2 weeks structural, 3 weeks functional), and the 1st week was a true pisser. Taking vale tudo, bjj, or savate was quite a challenge, to say the least.

But the supplements I'm on now have really taken the edge off of the soreness.

It helps to do a longer warm up of some cardio and srteching before the real workout.

I'm thinking of the military too, in fact, I'm going to the Navy. How tough is the training there? I would like to know about the training so I can know what to expect. Sorry if this goes off-topic. Sounds like I'm gonna be training while I'm sore all the time for 9 weeks.

Navy bootcamp is a breeze....Now if you were talking BUDS, that would be way different.....

thanx for telling me that. but I hope the boot camp still makes me somewhat stronger.

Boot camp is easy. If you are already in decent shape your conditioning will actually go down.

ugh, I guess that sux kinda.