Tranening after tooth extraction?

I had to have a molar removed unexpectedly yesterday.

How long should I wait before lifting light weights? I know grappling is out of the question for at least 5-6 days but what about striking training? No contact of course, doing light pad work or light bag work?

I have worked really hard to gain muscle and I don't want to impede my progress of improved thickness, solidity and tightness. I can drop weight easier than gaining.

Any suggestions on eating? It has been 18 hours since the surgery, getting sick of puree soup and yogurt.

Wait until the extraction site is entirely clotted over before heavy training.

Light workouts are okay at this point unless it was a complicated surgical extraction.

Same thing with food; once the site is clotted over, you can work your way back to tougher/chewier foods. It may take from a couple days to a week depending on your healing ability.

Thanks Dental!

Long story short was I had the tooth pulled years ago but the dentist left a small portion of the tooth in there. He was a shitty dentist, he was lazy and really hated people. So my face puffed up one morning so I went to the hospital and wango tango had an emergency extraction. Still a little swollen but it seems to be ok so far. The tylenol 3's are making me really spacy though. I am not used to taking pills.

Almost forgot to mention that the dentist that originally pulled the tooth got sued for malpractice and he is no longer a dentist. Not by me but by some poor lady that he ended up pulling a wrong tooth.

Wait a week. I didn't once, and the clot broke free and I got dry socket. I have a reasonable pain tolerance, but I couldn't beat dry socket.

A week sounds fair. Lucky we are done CACC for the year. Do you think it is wise to lift a few smaller weights so I do not lose as much muscle mass as I would if I did nothing?

Depends to some extent whether it is upper or lower. If it is a lower extraction, they drain less well and dry socket is more common. I've had it myself. Fuckin legit pain. LEGIT! Phone Post 3.0

bigelz - Depends to some extent whether it is upper or lower. If it is a lower extraction, they drain less well and dry socket is more common. I've had it myself. Fuckin legit pain. LEGIT! Phone Post 3.0

Yeah it's in the lower.

I am doing everything advised and making sure I am on a liquid diet with minimal sugars for a few days.

Just curious. What are the beginning symptoms of dry socket?

You guys are getting me all paranoid.

You're not going to lose much (if any) muscle mass in one week, unless you're a world-class competitive bodybuilder. Even then, the muscle loss in one week of rest would be minimal. You may even gain some muscle if you've been training very hard lately.

It sounds like you had a retained root or root tip, which abscessed. Your extraction was probably surgical, which by their nature tend to be more potentially problematic. Did you get sutures?

Was the tooth in the top or bottom? Dry sockets are much more common in the mandible.

You will know if you have a dry socket. Pain medicine will not work--not even narcotics.

Dry sockets occur in about 1-3% of all extractions, but impacted 3rd molars have an approximate 25-30% occurrence rate. It doesn't sound like this was an impacted wisdom tooth...

Symptoms usually begin 3-4 days after extraction.

Just take it easy for a while. You will probably be fine.

It is in the lower left, second to last molar non including the wisdom tooth (premolar?). No sutures.

This is how it went

face swole up
went to er
they sent me to the dental clinic (Vancouver general hospital has a surgical dentistry clinic on site and was covered by my msp.. Canada fuck yeah!)
Froze the area
Pulled the two remaining pieces of root left, no sutures. Just Novocaine and extraction
they made an incision on my gum line to get the infection out
They pressed on it vigorously and it drained
cleaned my mouth up
went on my way.

Got clindamycin and tylenol 3's

It is still a little swollen but no where near what it was yesterday morning.

I occasionally smoke.. that has been the hardest part. I have not been smoking so I am a litte pissy today. When would it be ok to smoke again.

so weird this thread popped up today. I actually just had five teeth extracted yesterday and was thinking the same thing.

Don't smoke for at least 3-5 days. If you are really interested in your long-term health, don't smoke at all.

The suction action of smoking can dislodge the forming clot. Smoking also greatly decreases blood flow, red blood cells, and clotting factors in the blood.

Chris - 

so weird this thread popped up today. I actually just had five teeth extracted yesterday and was thinking the same thing.

I'm with ya brother.. well 1/5th with you

What are you eating? I am getting tired of yogurt.

dentalninja - Don't smoke for at least 3-5 days. If you are really interested in your long-term health, don't smoke at all.

The suction action of smoking can dislodge the forming clot. Smoking also greatly decreases blood flow, red blood cells, and clotting factors in the blood.

I am not a heavy smoker, I am using this as a springboard into quitting. I am just getting really bitchy and frustrated. Plus I can't eat snacks to quell my smoking cravings.

Happiness Bunny - 
Chris - 

oatmeal and almond milk shakes, lots of soup, mashed potatoes, ice cream, and yogurt.

Chris - 
Happiness Bunny - 
Chris - 

oatmeal and almond milk shakes, lots of soup, mashed potatoes, ice cream, and yogurt.

That sounds like my diet at the moment.. can't wait to eat some wings or a burger. I don't usually eat junk food but since I can't eat solids for at least 3 more days it sounds like the bee's knees. Anything that is not a fucking puree would be the tits!

Great thread, any differences for wisdom teeth or is it the same? Phone Post 3.0

Arlovskis Chin - Great thread, any differences for wisdom teeth or is it the same? Phone Post 3.0

Wisdom teeth (3rd molars) are more likely to have dry sockets after extraction.

Impacted 3rd molars (teeth that are not fully in the archform and mostly/fully encased in bone) have dry sockets 25-30% of the time. Statistically speaking, if you have four impacted 3rd molars extracted at the same time, you are likely to have at least one dry socket.

3rd molars that are not impacted have a slightly higher risk of dry socket than the 'average' 1st or 2nd molar. I would venture to say around 5%.

Dental, you are the man. Thank you for all the free dental information. Off for my checkup now.

dentalninja -
Arlovskis Chin - Great thread, any differences for wisdom teeth or is it the same? Phone Post 3.0

Wisdom teeth (3rd molars) are more likely to have dry sockets after extraction.

Impacted 3rd molars (teeth that are not fully in the archform and mostly/fully encased in bone) have dry sockets 25-30% of the time. Statistically speaking, if you have four impacted 3rd molars extracted at the same time, you are likely to have at least one dry socket.

3rd molars that are not impacted have a slightly higher risk of dry socket than the 'average' 1st or 2nd molar. I would venture to say around 5%.
Hero thank you. Phone Post 3.0