Transgender Woman Dies After Beating in Harlem

A truly awful and senseless crime.  Kind of surprised this isn't getting much coverage that I'm hearing.  

-=-=-=-

HARLEM — A transgender woman who was savagely beaten over the weekend by a man shouting homophobic slurs in Harlem died of her injuries on Thursday in what police are investigating as a hate crime, authorities said.

Islan Nettles, 21, was taken off life support at Harlem Hospital after she was declared brain dead from injuries she suffered in the attack, cops said. She had been clinging to life since being rushed to the hospital early Saturday morning, police said.

Nettles was out with several other transgender women at 11 p.m. Friday when she ran across a group of men near West 148th Street and Eighth Avenue — directly across from the housing bureau's Police Service Area 6 precinct, according to the criminal complaint.

When the man realized that Nettles and her friends were transgender, they began throwing punches and yelling homophobic slurs, cops said.

Nettles, who also went by Vaughn Nettles and Alon Nettles, was taken to Harlem Hospital, but could not be revived, cops said.

Paris Wilson, 20, was arrested early Saturday in connection with the attack, police said. He was charged with misdemeanor assault, but cops said Thursday that they expected to upgrade the charges.

According to Nettles' LinkedIn page, she planned to work in the fashion industry, and had worked as an intern at Harlem design house Ay' Medici.

"Fashion became a definite decision for my life after my first show with my hand designed garments in high school at the 11th grade," she wrote.

LINK: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130822/central-harlem/transgender-woman-dies-after-savage-beating-cops-say#video_modal_13772731841756

Hmmm

So this was a dude who got his penis removed or one of those chicks with fades?

Death penalty.

N5Z - So this was a dude who got his penis removed or one of those chicks with fades?

Does it matter?  Is it acceptable to beat someone's brain to mush in one case but not the other?

Wow only 21 yrs old, sad Phone Post 3.0

:(

Terrible Phone Post 3.0

BackOffWarchild - Death penalty.

Not trying to start a death penalty debate, but I just read an interview with the victim's mom and she specifically said that she wants the killer to get life in prison as she feels like he'll be forced to think about what he's done.

Does that influence your feeling on it or should they go ahead with the death penalty in your view?  Honest question.

Sad Phone Post

Wow, and I just caught this: "Paris Wilson, 20, was arrested on misdemeanor assault charges Saturday and released the next day after paying bail, records and prosecutors said."

itswhitty - 
N5Z - So this was a dude who got his penis removed or one of those chicks with fades?

Does it matter?  Is it acceptable to beat someone's brain to mush in one case but not the other?

Its significant in trying to frame the story and at least for me to picture/hypothesize what likely led to the altercation.

Holy Fuck that sucks! R.I.P Phone Post

This also happened right across from a police station.

"directly across from the housing bureau's Police Service Area 6 precinct"

The gay bashing in nyc is ridiculous right now, a lot of it is going on in Chelsea which for those of you that aren't familiar with the city is Renzos stomping grounds where he went all Charles Bronson and acted drunk and beat down some alleged muggers. My friends and I were saying it'd be great if Renzo walked around holding hands with a male friend just waiting for someone to attempt to bash him. Phone Post 3.0

pics wtf?

itswhitty - 

Not trying to start a death penalty debate, but I just read an interview with the victim's mom and she specifically said that she wants the killer to get life in prison as she feels like he'll be forced to think about what he's done.

Does that influence your feeling on it or should they go ahead with the death penalty in your view?  Honest question.

Actually, yes. Absent a spouse's input, I would absolutely defer to the parents' wishes. Up to me, the needle. If the parent wants natural life, so be it.

Fuck people really are animals. Phone Post

No human should be targeted for violence. Ever.

The only time violence is right is in self defence. Live and let live.

If your opponent says "Live and let die" and makes you fear for your life in whatever way, then do what you have to in order to survive. If I'm on the jury, I'll back you up, and I'll try to convince the others.

Transgender people should not be stigmatized or persecuted. If transgender people are unfamiliar to you, and you don't know one and have never met one, that is A-OK.

They are assholes just like the rest of us. You're not missing out.

itswhitty - 

Then she can pay 60k a year to house and feed them....