Trap Bar - Yea or Nay?

This thread is great. I thought I was the only one into the Trap/Shrug Bar. No one else at my gym uses it.

This is my main excercise, twice a week.

For all you TBDLers. Keep in touch and let us know your progress and what is working for you to make great progress.

NbleS: 3x5x405! Your way ahead of me (3x5x345).

Also I think it's better to do shrugs with your hands on the sides as opposed to in front of you. Less strain on the shoulders and such.

If you are TBDL'ing hard and heavy you do not need shrugs.

FStyle,

I hit it again tonight. Only 2 sets at 405 though; I'm still a bit sore from the other day. I can't get enough of this thing. That's still some serious LB's that you're pulling brah!

The other day, another forum member (Urqhart, I think?) mentioned that his knees were bothering him due to TBDL. I noticed tonight that the "sitting" motion that dominates a barbell squat is still VERY much present at the bottom of the TBDL & that failure to focus on that posture can result in the knees floating out over the toes - possibly causing the knee pain that Urqhart mentioned. I adjusted my form slightly after my first two reps tonight & noticed a big difference; better accenuation of the hammies & glutes, but still a solid quad pump. Funny thing is, my squat felt better tonight also (less low back aggravation than usual). Damn I love this thing!

NblSavg:

I have been TBDLing for just over a year. My lower back has never felt better. But my knees have started to bother me. They never bothered me before the TB. I believe my shins are straight.

I have to figure out how to take the pressure off my knees when TBDLing.

Keep us up to date on your TB progress.

Must have been someone else, my knees feel fine with them. However, I'm also careful about my foot placement-- toes pointed out slightly, and knees going over toes (I sometimes have to remind myself not to let my knees come towards each other).

Sorry Urquhart, I thought it was you who had mentioned sore knees from TBDL. Sounds like you've got the form nailed down pretty well. Geesh my #ss hurts like HELL after going heavy with the TBDL, but it's just that good old pumped-up / slightly sore feeling. I've got three workouts to go in this cycle & next time around I may try an abbreviated routine (perhaps just TBDL & bench press) for a month or so. "Beyond Brawn" has piqued my interest in abbreviated-style training.

Peace.

-Savage

Urq good point. I let my knees go inward alot. One point to improve on.