Trapping(no pics)

I can understand practicing them individually,but what is the point of constantly practicing trapping?
I mean whenever two JKD practitioners do one trapping technique and they try to learn how to "reverse" trapping counters.

What is the point of training against someone countering your trap?

I asked a friend of mine who does Jun Fan,and he said,"You never know when you'll meet another guy on the street that knows trapping."

Maybe I need a better understanding of this?

I personally don't see the correlation between that kind of training and being effective in a real fight.

4 Ranges: I've seen very basic trapping work in MMA. The Lop Sao (I think that's what it's called) Maurice Smith used again Kazunari. Pawed the lead hand down and then came over the top with a HUGE right.

Classical mess.

Basic trappling is good i watched a friend of mine (is an amatur boxer) who likes trap a hand and punch with the other.

Just like kali's sumbrada it is the "playing range" of classical WC trapping that is unrealistic.

In my opinion, trapping works better on the neck. The limbs move to quickly and "have a fist behind them"...
Disengage the limbs or crash them. True trapping is grappling...

M...

Slapping someones hand out of the way happens,but to make drills and patterns out of it is crazy.Time invested in a good jab+cross combo with timing and distance would serve you better.The whole idea is to find the simplest way to get the job done.

call me you have trapping pics

IMHO Trapping works best somewhere out in the black mountain hills of Dakota.

That's just in my humble opinion.

Kai:

basic traps like "pak sao's" and "lop sao's" have worked in real time. I agree with Mark that the thai plamb lends itself greatly to WC trapping techniques (the fook sao, for instance). These TECHNIQUES work.

I don't feel that how it's DRILLED (compound trapping sequences, etc.) is the best way to make them effective for a fighter.

Sure Mo' Smith may have pulled a lop sao in an MMA fight. But I'm willing to bet he doesn't do classical compound trapping drills.

Good point 4.

Methinks, that if a Wing Chun guy stayed in his WC structure and he fought another WC guy who stayed in structure (meaning techniques & concepts) in some kind of "honor system" then you would see all this fancy WC stuff in action and practical.

However, outside of this sphere a vast majority of the stuff becomes inapplicable. Some may have to be modified in a new sphere.

Regardless, the training method must be realistic.

I have played with a few WC things and had some success (as with ANY and EVERY technique) with it. I like some of the Chi Gerk material with the legs, & some of the guard manipulation stuff.

It being unorthodox lends itself to success because it is unexpected. Until of course, my partner is wary of it and starts working his counter.

Sound familiar? First time I learned a jab, I could land it pretty often. Eventually, my partner would start firing a cross to counter my jab.

My jabs started landing less, until I started feinting and faking more and setting up my left hook by drawing his cross with my jab.

Does this mean a jab is ineffective and useless?

You know how many times I have tried for an armbar and failed and had to get a short arm scissors or triangle instead? Should I give up the armbar?

Ultimately it comes down to persoanl experience. Something may not work for one, but may be for another. The only problem is that through text, it is near impossible to tell if someone is training realistically enough and being honest enough (even with theirselves) with whatthey aretyping.

In most cases of WC, their training methods are outdated and unrealistic. Their techniques are applicable against another WC guy, and their strategies aren't practical.

It simply cannot stand alone.

Aus

4 Ranges: I was just posting it up, not supporting it *LOL*. I serious doubt that Maurice Smith ever practices trapping.

Hi guys,

How many times do we have to have this talk? Yes, rudimentary trapping drills look simplistic, static and prearanged. That's why they are for beginners. They are even taught standing still at first because the newbies can hardly keep their arms moving without having to think about their feet.

Next it's done with mobility, and OH MY GOD! It can be done against a resisting opponent who gloves up and tries to punch your ticket. Of course I recommend isolating each attack-trapping the jab, then the cross, followed by hooks and uppercuts. Then in combination.

It is a viable tool set if trained propperly, and a valuable to me.

If you get to the Atlanta area, or get the chance to visit Francis Fong's MA Academy he is the most "functional" trapper I have seen. He spent two days showing our gym in Minneapolis example after example on how to trap to Strike, trap to plumb, and trap to take down. Of course the fact that he is also an excellent Thai and BJJ instructor gives him a unique spin on his WC/JKD.

Unfortunately he is the least commercial guy in the WC/JKD circles, and he only teaches out of his gym and seminar circuit. No tapes or DVDs yet... and I wish he would. I think he sees trapping in it's propper role, and uses it in the way it was intended. Unfortunately many people don't get to see it in that light.

So ease up on what you critique, JKD trapping vs. GR plum is a useless debate. It's not in the style it's in the methods, remember?

Ray White

Yep. Francis is bad.

I would like to add in my above post, when I mentioned "guard manipulations", I was talking about your boxing guard (hand positioning) and not the BJJ guard.

Sounds kooky if it was refering to a BJJ guard.

The sooner you fokkers realize that you must train your po pai to a high level or you will die the sooner you will be a bad dude.

Tacticalfighter, e-mail me at Mmann512@aol.com, I have a question for you.