Travel agent VS do it yourself Trip planning

I'm going on a international trip with some buddies next month. We used a travel agent and I'm beginning to think it was a waste of money. I travel a lot and usually use Expedia or Travelocity or trip advisor to book hotels & flights.

We did a travel agent because 7 of us are going. It wasn't my idea but figured wtf and try it out.
Well the flight out of Denver is $800+ And leaves at like 1am. Gets to location at like 8am. I'm looking at trip advisor and flights are now like $400 lol. So 7 flights at $800 vs 7 flights at 400$
And it's a fucking red eye flight.

I've also booked flights lately where if the flight price goes down you get cheaper flight.

We are staying at a nice all inclusive resort and it looks good but again seems kinda pricey.
I was talking to some of the other guys about day trips and excursions and they wanna wait till we're down there to book them, IMO might as well book some of the best sites and day trips now. They are concerned about weather ?

Well the resort offers day trips and excursions but 2-3x higher priced than trip advisor recommendations or trips by locals.

Anyway I've traveled to Europe and Mexico and some cruises and always do most of it myself.
What do you guys think ? Maybe our flights were much more 2 months ago when we booked them but IMO travel agent is not worth it.

I thought agents made money off the Hoteliers, and airlines, not the customer. I believe it's 10%, ut that might motivate an unscrupulous agent to book the expensive flights. In 2016, I don't know why anyone would use an agent. It's an archaic service.

Saltine American - 

I thought agents made money off the Hoteliers, and airlines, not the customer. I believe it's 10%, ut that might motivate an unscrupulous agent to book the expensive flights. In 2016, I don't know why anyone would use an agent. It's an archaic service.

Yes I agree and don't think I'll use one again.

Looking forward to the trip but wanna get out and do some shit not just hang out at the resort.

It's 2016 and the internet exists, no need to for a travel agent at all.

I ask the OG for tips on wherever I am going, then book it myself.

Your friends honestly sound like airheads, no offense Phone Post 3.0

ShanTheMan - I ask the OG for tips on wherever I am going, then book it myself.

Your friends honestly sound like airheads, no offense Phone Post 3.0

Lol none taken

Vactioning with my aunt, she insisted we do everything through her travel agent. The only problem was, she didn't fucking do anything except buy the tickets. We sent her all of our documents and she'd still call us up and say, "You have to fill out this short form online. You need to send a fax of your passport to the cruise company. You need to make arrangements for..."

Lady, what the fuck are we paying you for? Everything she called about was something she could have just as easily done from her desk as I could from mine.

Nope. No more travel agents.

Willybone - 

Vactioning with my aunt, she insisted we do everything through her travel agent. The only problem was, she didn't fucking do anything except buy the tickets. We sent her all of our documents and she'd still call us up and say, "You have to fill out this short form online. You need to send a fax of your passport to the cruise company. You need to make arrangements for..."

Lady, what the fuck are we paying you for? Everything she called about was something she could have just as easily done from her desk as I could from mine.

Nope. No more travel agents.

Fucking exactly

Same thing I travel pretty often and never use a travel agent. You look on the Internet and plan shit.
Yep I had to send pic of my passport and send my cc info. My cc I always use got rejected lol never mind I just booked a different trip with it and have used it since. SMH

Yeah and my friends wanted/ want to call the travel agent about excursions / day trips. I can look on trip advisor and know it's more reliable reviews and cheaper than the resort I'm sure she will have us go through, and one of the top attractions the resort doesn't even offer tours their.

I think some people feel important or rich using a travel agent. Fuck em never again me either.
Should I point out to my friends that were paying 2x as much for a flight than avg, ?

Total waste of money Phone Post 3.0