Triangle as a guard in itself?

I've been using this for a while now, and really catching a lot more stuff lately. I catch a lot of triangles, but instead of putting all my focus into finishing the triangle I'm looking for other things while the other guy is worried about defending.

Sure if he slips up I'll finish the choke, but I've been hitting a TON of sweeps and transitioning to omoplatas and armbars more than anything else. My favorite is the kimura/triangle combo.

It's really nice. Triangle guard lol

Fuzzy Badfeet -  REVOLUTIONARY 

now rename it and start putting out books and dvd's with all those new transitions you just created.

I do the same thing. Look for my book out this summer.

The revolution has begun.

I suspect this is a blatant troll attempt, but congratulations for finding the basic of the basics, I guess...

lol

I know it's basic, but what I meant was that I'll set up a triangle with no intentions of actually finishing it. Not like "Hey guys I learned what to do if he defends the triangle".

lol

Nevermind, fuckers

Hmmm, you could expand this too:

the omoplata guard
the arm bar guard
the kimura guard
the guillotine guard

Just endless!

lol... just messing with you. Often times, the arm bar is easier to hit from triangle than the actual choke.

I'm either worse than I thought at BJJ (which would make me REALLY bad) or just not explaining myself well.

What I mean is that lately, the triangle has basically replaced my closed guard. I don't even start working until I get to the triangle position. I didn't mean that I finally figured out how to chain subs together, but that I'm spending more time working out of the triangle position than I am out of closed/open/butterfly or any other conventional "guard".

Does that help? And if this is pretty common and I'm just picking it up after years of training...I wouldn't be at all surprised, actually lol

Someone at SBG dubbed it the "Pit Stop" (Singers?!?!)about 7-8 years ago. They never called it a "guard" per se, but once they named the "thing" it took a life of it's own. I stopped trying to greedily land the triangle that very second and get frustrated and fight for it, I would treat it as an intermediary position with plenty of options, like sweeps, armbars, Kimura, or rolling to my knees. It really helped my game a LOT.

How are you getting into the triangle position more than guard position? Are most of your training partners lower belts and they don't know any better than to have one arm in and one arm out? Or do you have some sick set up that catches everyone in that position?

It's pretty common; I do something similar with the omoplata position. Many people find that attacks can shake loose other techniques.

ipponBJJ - How are you getting into the triangle position more than guard position? Are most of your training partners lower belts and they don't know any better than to have one arm in and one arm out? Or do you have some sick set up that catches everyone in that position?
Are you asking me or the OP?

ausgepicht - 
ipponBJJ - How are you getting into the triangle position more than guard position? Are most of your training partners lower belts and they don't know any better than to have one arm in and one arm out? Or do you have some sick set up that catches everyone in that position?
Are you asking me or the OP?

OP

A little of both. And obviously I've got to go through some some of regular guard to get to the triangle, but the triangle is where I spend most of my time. I might close my guard more often, but I'm not there for as long as I'm in triangle guard. Or The Pit Stop, whichever ;)

And yeah, I'm long, skinny, and semi-flexible. Triangle is my bread and butter. They aren't giving me the triangle, I'm taking it.

^^Everyone's path isn't the same. I say keep playing with it.

ausgepicht - Someone at SBG dubbed it the "Pit Stop" (Singers?!?!)about 7-8 years ago. They never called it a "guard" per se, but once they named the "thing" it took a life of it's own. I stopped trying to greedily land the triangle that very second and get frustrated and fight for it, I would treat it as an intermediary position with plenty of options, like sweeps, armbars, Kimura, or rolling to my knees. It really helped my game a LOT.

This single post is what it took me an entire thread to try to explain lol

Actually i've been trying to use that position lately and have been noticing success in a lot of areas aside from the triangle. I have a hard time catching guys in the armbar as a single attack in and of itself but i started throwing it at guys fromt he triangle set up and the submissions results off of that position went up a lot.

I usually don't like attacking submissions from the guard as part of my game. I like to try and sweep and finish from the top but going from the "Triangle Guard" or whatever you want to call it has made me re-think some strategies from the bottom in the guard.

I've also noted more successes attacking the shoulder locks with either the Kimura or the Omoplata off of it vs the straight armbar. Anyone else have a similar experience? Might just be preference as well

You're versions behind...Now there's the reverse triangle that Braulio's put a spotlight on...and the unicorn!!!

I wish I could take credit for the name. I only get credit for using the name enough to help it stick.LOL At a camp I set up for SBG in Lexington KY about 7 years ago a black belt (brown back then) named Mike O'Donnell (Under Carlson Jr) introduced us to two great concepts. The first was the high guard game, locking down the shoulder and using it as an intermediate step for his attacks. He called this position "Pit Stop." We have called it that ever since.

Adam SInger

if you train Gracie (self defense) jiujitsu you shouldn't use the triangle as a guard.  build the muscle memory to go through all the steps to finish every time you train.  if you train sport jiujitsu its nice but you're rolling with guys who are either lower ranked than you or higher ranks that are taking it easy on you. or don't I don't care