Tried my 1st flying armbar in a

tournament yesterday.

It was in my Judo promotionals and I had already swept my division and had volunteered to fight in this match against a friend who is a 6'0 225 lb. brown belt (I'm a 5'10 215 lb. brown belt) so I took the opportunity to just fuck around and have a little well-earned fun.

So I go for a footsweep to get him to step back and hunch over a little (out-powering him was out of the question) and I just say "fuck it" and launch myself into the armbar. The flight was good, the landing...not so much.

I managed to slam and flash KO myself on the back of my head, but got up before the ref noticed anything.

After convening with the other refs, he let the match go on and we fought to a draw. Afterwards, he said to me "you're lucky you're competent (competent in grappling...he reff'd my other matches and saw my numerous sub attempts)", in other words saying I probably would have been dq'd for safety reasons.

Is there any tips to NOT falling on your head? Since we had gi's on, I couldn't get a collar and elbow grip, and had no choice to go from a standard gi grip.

The only reason I hit the back of my head is because he kinda saw it coming and moved before I could sink it in.

Oh well. It felt good to get over the fear and apprehension and just do it. Most guys my size don't do that type of stuff but I LOVE to put on exciting matches and I ALWAYS fight for finish. You only live once.

Guerilla jiu jitsu by Dave Camarillo has a whole flying series and how you can set them up safely.

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=22931&cat=&page=1

haha. where's the vid. I sort of did a flying armbar attempt from
standing guard pass the other day and nearly knocked myself out.
landed hard on my back and rung my bell a little. I'm 6'4" 200 lbs.

here's an idea.
1. Fly to San Jose, CA.
2. Take a taxi to AKA.
3. Get private lessons from Dave Camarillo.

You forgot step 0. Lose some weight. Flying armbars are not for gentlemen of your size. I've never seen a guy over 200 lbs pull one off. If anyone has a video of one, though, I'd love to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOnO45oDeNI

Enjoy

Watch the no-gi tournament footage of Genki Sudo on Youtube.

Make sure to robot dance before you attempt any flying attack.

Okay, so lose wait and learn robot dance, then?

takes notes

"Okay, so lose weight and learn robot dance, then?"

Thats pretty much it :)

Rhadi pulls something off that is very close to a flying armlock... though, admittedly, him jumping and "flying" is about as graceful as an A-10 Warthog tumbling through the air.

I found it's a lot safer escpecially against big guys to do it off a yoko tomoe nage

"Rhadi pulls something off that is very close to a flying armlock... though, admittedly, him jumping and "flying" is about as graceful as an A-10 Warthog tumbling through the air."

That pretty much describes me. Except I'm a pasty white boy and I suck.

That youtube clip wasn't a flying armbar. It was a sitting armbar. He had a body part in contact with the ground for the entire move. THAT is the move you should be practicing if you weigh over 200lbs

In a tournament in Alberta Victor Valimaki (Who fought in the UFC a few months back) knocked himself unconscoius going for a flying armbar. Its pretty weird to see something like that happen.