Truck info, how to pick

FRAT/ what to consider when picking a truck???

Im just starting the long process of looking into new vehicles and am kicking around the idea of a truck.

I know little about trucks, my first car was a ford ranger but i dont really consider that since it was given to me.

I have a family of 5 (me, wife, 4,3,5month old) so we are looking for something that can hold 3 kids in the back that is not a van.

We dont drive too much (less than 12,000 miles a year) so im not super concerned about gas.

I am looking at the f150 xlt crew cab but only because i see so damn many of them. What would be the comparable make/model from other car company?

The truck would be just for getting around, moving the odd thing here or there. We might look at getting a rv trailer later in the year but not a huge consideration.

whats the comparable truck from other car companies?

which has the best value? most room? which is most reliable and long lasting? what features are a must? what is a waste of money?

thanks

F150 has the biggest back seat by far so it's probably going to be your best bet. GM is discounting silverados right now so that would probably be cheapest, but I'm not sure you can stuff 3 kids in the back seat. Dodge is coming out with a mega cab 1500 which would also make a nice family truck.

One line of trucks has been the best selling in North America for the last 30+ years, there is probably a reason for that.

your budget ?...you willing to buy used ?

do what I did - go drive a bunch of em and see what you like.  Really there are only a handful of companies that sell decent trucks.  So go drive a GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Ford and see what you like 

anything that has a bowtie or GMC on the front is what you want to get

Curtis_E_Bare - One line of trucks has been the best selling in North America for the last 30+ years, there is probably a reason for that.

yeah, they're the cheapest

I'd go with the F-150, but hey what the fuck do I know .

first you pick a dodge because its the best value and most hp for the money. Then you pick the least amount of BS option and garbage gimmicks because its a truck and nothing is more reliable than a roll down window. Ram had the express a few years back, not sure if they still build that

I was deciding not long ago.

Went with a 2016 f-150 xlt crew cab.  Got the 2.7 eco boost.  Happy with it.

It's fast, I get around 21mpg, lots of room.  My only complaint would be the interior is a bit plastic-ie.  

GucciGucciGucci - your budget ?...you willing to buy used ?

i only buy used, never purchased a new vehicle since the depreciation is so high in the first two years.

i havent really decided on budget yet, just trying to figure out whats out there and what i should be looking at.

LogProducer - 

first you pick a dodge because its the best value and most hp for the money. Then you pick the least amount of BS option and garbage gimmicks because its a truck and nothing is more reliable than a roll down window. Ram had the express a few years back, not sure if they still build that

see, this is the info i wanted....
i have done some reading and people said dont get hung up on one brand and overlook another because you might be short changing yourself.

I will consider dodge also, i dont really like the look as much as ford but honestly once im inside im not the one looking at it so dont really give two shits.

AG_bull -
GucciGucciGucci - your budget ?...you willing to buy used ?

i only buy used, never purchased a new vehicle since the depreciation is so high in the first two years.

i havent really decided on budget yet, just trying to figure out whats out there and what i should be looking at.

in that case get a 2005 ram srt-10 quad cab. 500 horse viper engine, will be collectable. The quad cabs are easier to find cheap because they don't have the six speed/size but you can Tow with that model.

-Horrible on gas

-Horrible in snow

-Viper engine

i generally look for something that is accident free, low miles and a couple years old (usually still on warranty).

usually something people bought without really wanting and then sell just to get rid of it so the price is lower.

I drive it until it dies and can get 7-8years out of a car ... only reason im looking now is we just had a third kid and we are kind of cramped in the mazda5.

AG_bull - FRAT/ what to consider when picking a truck???

Im just starting the long process of looking into new vehicles and am kicking around the idea of a truck.

I know little about trucks, my first car was a ford ranger but i dont really consider that since it was given to me.

I have a family of 5 (me, wife, 4,3,5month old) so we are looking for something that can hold 3 kids in the back that is not a van.

We dont drive too much (less than 12,000 miles a year) so im not super concerned about gas.

I am looking at the f150 xlt crew cab but only because i see so damn many of them. What would be the comparable make/model from other car company?

The truck would be just for getting around, moving the odd thing here or there. We might look at getting a rv trailer later in the year but not a huge consideration.
Imo buy a second hand f150 with a 5.0 v8, not eco boost, or get the non turbo v6. I had a v6 f150 and it was a great truck and was very economical. I drove it for 7 years and lost 1500 bucks

I honestly think the f150 is blthe most reliable domestic truck made. Chevy is 2nd.

Change the atf in your truck often, new trannys are 5k these days

AG_bull - 
LogProducer - 

i have done some reading and people said dont get hung up on one brand and overlook another because you might be short changing yourself.

I will consider dodge also, i dont really like the look as much as ford but honestly once im inside im not the one looking at it so dont really give two shits.

Test drive them all. I get about 75 rental cars a year and try to get a full size truck unless I know the customer has a terrible parking garage. Driving Ford, Dodge and GM trucks over the years is what convinced me to get the Ford. I had several brand new Chevies that had interior pieces fall apart, twice the HVAC had a high pitch whining sound and the dash shakes in all of them. Dodges are great but I actually had a transmission go out in a 10K mile Ram 1500 rental, no thanks.

White347LX -
AG_bull - 
LogProducer - 

Test drive them all. I get about 75 rental cars a year and try to get a full size truck unless I know the customer has a terrible parking garage. Driving Ford, Dodge and GM trucks over the years is what convinced me to get the Ford. I had several brand new Chevies that had interior pieces fall apart, twice the HVAC had a high pitch whining sound and the dash shakes in all of them. Dodges are great but I actually had a transmission go out in a 10K mile Ram 1500 rental, no thanks.
I've rebuilt a few of them that we've gotten on trade in . The design is shit and has flow issues.

You have 3 kids still in car seats. Research which had the most amount of shoulder room in the back seat. Then compare measurements with your car seats. Those fuckers take up a lot of room.

Are you wedded to a pick up truck? You have any other family or friends that you frequently drive around? What about one of the larger SUVs with a 3rd row of seating?

I know nothing about pick up trucks, by the way.