Truecar.com, any first hand experiences here?

How much did you save?

Looked at new Corolla's last night, sticker price 21-23k
Sales dude kept saying he could get 1k knocked off. True car shows a bunch of sales around 17k.

Any experiences? Phone Post 3.0

I looked at it when I bought my last car. The price I paid was lower than what TrueCar said was a good price. I used the Costco car buying service. I recommend going that route.

http://www.costcoauto.com

I helped buy two brand new cars last year in October and December for a friend and my uncle. I used truecar.com

The salesman will act like they are giving the car away at that price and will bitch and moan. They will then say that the car they are selling you must have more options that the model you're looking at didn't have even though you can look up the EXACT same car with options. You will then get median price in truecar.com. Didn't have any success getting it below median value but the people that asked me to negotiate were fine with paying the median price which was often about $6,000 less than the salesman was originally offering it for. Phone Post 3.0

I used Consumer Reports to get quotes from dealers. If they have the exact car in stock, they sell it to you at the price on the certificate you get.

I knew what I wanted, and knew which dealerships participated, so I went to their lots after they were closed and took pictures of window stickers of the truck I wanted. Then punched those exact options into the car builder on consumer reports.

sticker was 34455, I ended up at 32332. Maybe I could have done better haggling with the sales scum for a few hours, but this was so pain free it was worth it. I like the truck, here is the price you have already agreed to pay - lets move forward. I was in and out in under an hour.

It's fake; don't waste time Phone Post 3.0

Create a fake gmail account to get a price, and use that in your negotiation.

The dealer will bait and switch with options so make sure you take that into account (ie my quote included a roof rack which I didn't want).... Phone Post 3.0

No, but the hipster douche in the commercial is annoying Phone Post 3.0

It is an excellent guide for the consumer. I deal with it every day in car sales and it makes the negotiations go faster which everyone wants.

The disconnect that people here have called "bait and switch" is nothing more than an inventory thing.

A dealer is almost never going to have a car is stock with the same EXACT list of options you chose when building the car on true car. It happens but rarely. All we do is sit with the customer on a phone/tablet and build the true car quote to the exact car we have in stock that they would want. Often we get stuck with accessories the manufacturer puts on these cars, that are part of our cost and have to be accounted for. We always offer to special order the car exactly the way you built it if that's your preference. Most won't want to wait for that though.

No dealer is making more "profit" off factory installed accessories when using truecar. They are merely trying to recoup their cost of those items from the manufacturer. Phone Post 3.0

I used it to buy my last car. They still upsold me on a bunch of shit because I'm an idiot when it comes to buying anything, so I don't know if I ultimately got a good price.

What state are you shopping in? Phone Post 3.0

FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - It is an excellent guide for the consumer. I deal with it every day in car sales and it makes the negotiations go faster which everyone wants.

The disconnect that people here have called "bait and switch" is nothing more than an inventory thing.

A dealer is almost never going to have a car is stock with the same EXACT list of options you chose when building the car on true car. It happens but rarely. All we do is sit with the customer on a phone/tablet and build the true car quote to the exact car we have in stock that they would want. Often we get stuck with accessories the manufacturer puts on these cars, that are part of our cost and have to be accounted for. We always offer to special order the car exactly the way you built it if that's your preference. Most won't want to wait for that though.

No dealer is making more "profit" off factory installed accessories when using truecar. They are merely trying to recoup their cost of those items from the manufacturer. Phone Post 3.0

That is why I went to the dealer n they were closed and of a picture of the actual window sticker of a truck they had in stock t way I knew I wouldn't have to play the 'we don't have that one, but have this one that is kind of like it' game

SpeedLimit19 - What state are you shopping in? Phone Post 3.0
Charlotte, NC Phone Post 3.0

FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA - It is an excellent guide for the consumer. I deal with it every day in car sales and it makes the negotiations go faster which everyone wants.

Thanks!

We had shitty exp last year at Mazda with the sales guys.
Only haggling was with my interest rate, not the price of the car. They wouldn't shut up about payment amounts. They started me at 4% ended at 1.9%.....sticker price never changed.

I just want the rate I qualify for based on MY credit and a decent price on the car. At that point the payment is what it is. Phone Post 3.0

Town and country Toyota is your place to buy. They are a true one price store but they have all corollas well under invoice. I work for the same company. I have helped ogers buy cars before. Phone Post 3.0

Do your research before hand. Never fall for the 1% below MSRP bs. You can basically build the same car at all the different sites and they come up with different totals. Makes me believe that their pricing favors the dealership. Get many quotes from different dealerships and settle on a price prior to mentioning a trade in or them talking you into a monthly payment your "comfortable" with. Watch for all the add on bullshit while doing the paperwork. Don't fall for the protective coating bullshit or the rust prevention undercoating. It's a can of $6 spray wax most dealerships use. I was impressed with a recent purchase at a new dodge dealership. They built a car wash into the back of the dealership that's free to use if you buy a vehicle from them. No appt. needed, just show up and drive your car through. Phone Post 3.0

In for info Phone Post 3.0

I attempted to use the Costco service for quotes on my last car purchase. Their price was decent, but I was able to negotiate another $800 off of that. The dealers kept saying "your Costco price is a great deal..." , and that complicated the process. I wouldn't bother with it again.

It's nice if you're averse to negotiating, though. Phone Post 3.0

We stopped using Costco here in Colorado because it was a waste of time. My normal pricing is better than they required me to be. They would also bitch if I lowered the price through their program. They just want to be involved. They don't actually want you to get the best price. Phone Post 3.0

SpeedLimit19 - Town and country Toyota is your place to buy. They are a true one price store but they have all corollas well under invoice. I work for the same company. I have helped ogers buy cars before. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks!
Gonna check them out this weekend and compare. The Toyota dealership by the house gives a lifetime warranty on engine, tranny.

Looked at my moms paperwork last night, she just bought a Camry sticker 24k and out the door over 30k! After all the ext warranty, ding shield blah blah blah

She even tried to pay cash, but sales guy told her it would depreciate faster...lol so she financed half! That should be criminal

I'll check out town and country! Phone Post 3.0

Check out stock of true car today: ticker symbol TRUE on Nasdaq. Down -37%. Phone Post 3.0