Trump Escalates Trade War after being Insulted

Trump escalates trade war, threatens European carmakers with stiff tariffs

President Trump on Saturday threatened to hammer European automotive companies with steep tariffs as his global trade war snowballed into a third day.

Trump, in a series of Twitter posts while at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, appeared to be responding to warnings from European leaders that his promised tariffs on aluminum and steel would trigger retaliation from numerous major U.S. trading partners.

Bring it on, Trump wrote.

If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S. They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there. Big trade imbalance!

The U.S. imposes a 2.5 percent tariff on the import of foreign cars and a 25 percent tariff on the import of foreign trucks and commercial vans. The European Union charges a 10 percent tariff on the import of cars.

On Thursday, Trump shocked the world — and many of his top advisers — with an off-the-cuff announcement that the United States would impose a tariff of 25 percent on steel imports and 10 percent on aluminum imports. Canada’s leadership said they would retaliate with tariffs on U.S. exports. European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker said his bloc planned to hit back at the U.S. by imposing tariffs on targeting Kentucky bourbon, Harley-Davidson motorcycles, and Levi’s blue jeans.

On Friday, Trump wrote in another Twitter post that “trade wars are good, and easy to win.” He also promised to enact what he called “RECIPROCAL TAXES” on any country that has a tariff against any U.S. good or service.

One of Trump’s top advisers, Peter Navarro, also holds the view that German automakers have stolen market share in the United States by importing cars but limiting the amount of U.S. cars sold into their country, two people involved in White House deliberations said. Navarro’s stature within the White House has grown in recent weeks as Trump has turned towards advisers with protectionist views as he became frustrated that his trade agenda was floundering.

If somebody can please explain to me why we should have lower tariffs than everybody else, it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry, Trudeau will talk some sense into him.

The commerce sec mentioned cars, this is no surprise.

ufc98newb -

If somebody can please explain to me why we should have lower tariffs than everybody else, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to know if this is correct or if there is a balance with how these things work. 

Everybody still needs America to buy thier shit. You got to pay to play baby.

And if not, you wanna flex, guess what? We will actually be forced to start producing shit here again.

Well at least Justin has Canada covered. 

Yup he's an economic juggernaut. Trump is going to regret this decision.

How did it work out when Bush did this in 2002? 

ufc98newb -

Us doesn't have lower tariffs then the eu and canada. Us car companies problems in eu arent due to tariffs.

Stache -

Well at least Justin has Canada covered. 

That was funny.

banco -
ufc98newb -

Us doesn't have lower tariffs then the eu and canada. Us car companies problems in eu arent due to tariffs.

The article states that EU has a 10% tarif on cars while the US has a 2% one.  So what the fuck are you talking about?

"The U.S. imposes a 2.5 percent tariff on the import of foreign cars and a 25 percent tariff on the import of foreign trucks and commercial vans. The European Union charges a 10 percent tariff on the import of cars."

Wait, is this current policy or proposed? Do we really have a 7.5% tariff imbalance with the EU on cars?

As an Englishman i say fuck the EU. They've been trying to bully the shit out of us ever since we voted to leave, and now they're trying it on the US. I hope they get smacked down hard.

Wait... does Pedro work for Trump?

trobinson21 -
Stache - Yup he's an economic juggernaut. Trump is going to regret this decision.

Our trade policies were crafted by lobbyists for corporations, Trump is just looking at the bias in a standard trade agreement and questioning it.

My daddy is a stable genius damn it!

Fuk Trudeau that bumbling fuk let him destroy Canada and if Trumps tarrifs fuk The EU then that's good too.

ufc98newb - 

Because Trump said it bruh. If Clinton or Obama said it it would be gospel.

Christ Trump can be such a retard. 

All this tariff tax is not good. It's going to have the opposite affect of what he thinks