Trump tucks, gives in to China demands

With a single phone call, Donald Trump staged a spectacular comedown from his boldest threat against China, agreeing to Beijing’s demand that he acknowledge Taiwan as part of a single China.

It took Mr. Trump less than three weeks as President to abandon his warning that no issue was too delicate to revisit – not even the status of Taiwan – in his quest to extract gains from a rising Chinese superpower, one he has called an enemy responsible for stealing U.S. jobs and bilking its people of hundreds of billions of dollars through currency manipulation.

Now, the U.S. President has become the subject of international ridicule after a phone call Friday with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping. In it, Mr. Trump agreed to respect the one-China policy. Critics called it a humiliating about-face for a U.S. leader who routinely pillories those he calls “losers.”

In so quickly bowing to Chinese sensitivities, Mr. Trump has also ceded new ground to Mr. Xi, at a time the authoritarian Chinese leader has already sought to position himself as a steady and confident global leader in turbulent times.

“Mr. Trump humiliated himself” and damaged U.S. credibility, said Guoqi Xu, a historian of Chinese international relations at the University of Hong Kong.

Since taking office, Mr. Trump “has turned out to be a Chinese friend in disguise.” He has angered long-time allies such as Australia and, by withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement meant to impose Western ideals on trade in the Asian region, handed Beijing a new opportunity to lead.

Mr. Xi, already the best-travelled leader in modern Chinese history, has meanwhile begun to fashion himself as champion-in-chief of climate change, international co-operation and the free flow of goods.

Now Mr. Trump has “made the Chinese position stronger,” Prof. Xu said. “Ironically, a so-called Communist country is becoming the leader of globalization.”

BrowBeater - This post seems unbiased and level headed

But...but...op

Interesting turn of events. I wonder what prompted this. Maybe our huge debt to China? I also wonder if there will be more to this story later. Should be interesting going forward. I wonder how the issues in the South China sea will work out also.

LOL so true

King Mo fan -

But...but...op

W

Some people can't make up their minds.  At first Trump was going to start nuclear war because of his hard stance on China.  Now he's a dick tucker because he's backed off that stance.

mostofyou - 

'Maybe our huge debt to China?'

Jesus, stahp

Also, that is one of the worst articles I've ever read lol

Can you actually add anything to the thread? What do you think happened here?

Soup and Beer - 

Some people can't make up their minds.  At first Trump was going to start nuclear war because of his hard stance on China.  Now he's a dick tucker because he's backed off that stance.

Those are not contradictory. He was a retard because of his initial stance. It's better for everyone that he has dicktucked, but that doesn't mean it isn't a dicktuck. 

The Principal -

But, but, but actually written in the same manner as threads criticizing Trump's rivals, but those are OK.

Which threads? 

Soup and Beer -

Everyday it's grabbing a new turd and throwing it at the wall to see what sticks. I guess nothing is sticking because they throw like girls.

"Mr. Xi, already the best-travelled leader in modern Chinese history"

I should value this guys opinion cuz he has a Quadrillion Frequent Flier Miles?

StrikingMMA - 
mostofyou - 

Jesus, stahp

Trump vexed by challenges, scale of government

The new president’s allies say he has been surprised that government can’t be run like his business.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/donald-trump-challenges-governing-presidency-234879

orcus - 
StrikingMMA - 
mostofyou - 

Jesus, stahp

Trump vexed by challenges, scale of government

The new president’s allies say he has been surprised that government can’t be run like his business.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/donald-trump-challenges-governing-presidency-234879

Thanks. That doesn't really explain his backtrack on China though?

Politico lol.

StrikingMMA -
mostofyou - 

Jesus, stahp

Nobody knows. Obviously Trump has information as president that none of has in any detail. Possibly a quid proquo that would not be in the interest of this country to violate. 

But it leave it to the desperate left to say he dick tucked and and should have done something to possibly harm this county ad they type up a laughably biased, biter and desperate article about it. 

StrikingMMA - Interesting turn of events. I wonder what prompted this. Maybe our huge debt to China? I also wonder if there will be more to this story later. Should be interesting going forward. I wonder how the issues in the South China sea will work out also.
What changed? Trump probably didn't know or care about the one china policy or its significance. He just thought it was a routine phone call with another leader to congratulate him on his yuuuuge victory.

Jack Carter - 
StrikingMMA -
mostofyou - 

Jesus, stahp

Nobody knows. Obviously Trump has information as president that none of has in any detail. Possibly a quid proquo that would not be in the interest of this country to violate. 

But it leave it to the desperate left to say he dick tucked and and should have done something to possibly harm this county ad they type up a laughably biased, biter and desperate article about it. 

Makes sense.

I wonder how the rest of our issues with China will play out. Like our trade deals and issues in the South China sea. Is this all a part of a negotiation with China?

did trump campaign based on recognizing taiwan as separate?

Trust - 
StrikingMMA - Interesting turn of events. I wonder what prompted this. Maybe our huge debt to China? I also wonder if there will be more to this story later. Should be interesting going forward. I wonder how the issues in the South China sea will work out also.

M guess would be that that what prompted it is that candidate and President Elect Trump was ignorant of US-China relations. It appears he has since been informed.  

Get used to it.  Trump does not strike me as a very knowledgeable person outside of real estate development and TV reality show production.  

He's drinking from a fire hose now as he is brought up to speed on complex issues.   Every new POTUS has a steep learning curve.  Trump's learning curve is starting from a much lower place than most previous presidents.  

if u want to understand trump and his motivations, theres only one thing you have to look at - POWER

that is what trump is all about..its why he viciously attacks anyone that opposes him and thats why he shows more respect to leaders of super power countries and thats why he shits on weaker countries

Jack Carter -
StrikingMMA -
mostofyou - 

Jesus, stahp

He did dick tuck. No, he should not have done something stupid to cause potential harm or problematic situations (like, provoke the Chinese for no reason in the first place) but he still dick tucked.