Truth in an unlikely place !!

" The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between 'for' and 'against' is the minds worst disease " Bruce Lee

Im actually reading the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. Its been close to 13 years since I opened it.

Why would this be an unlikely place?

I dont know really. I just found a direct application to religion in a martial arts book. Really, to me, mma still is a philosophy as well as a sport. Like Franciscan says he's done with jesus. It started from expectations and finding right and wrong instead of just taking things as they are. For me, letting go did lead me back to a place where christianity means something to me but not in the way it did where I needed to define what wrong and right to the point where it was 'my way or the highway'

Bruce is acutally quoting from a Zen Sutra(Gospel) I believe it was ..Verses
on Faith Mind.

zealot66 , if you like that...read The Eye Never Sleeps

A great commentary on the sutra and a deep ...but easy read.

zealot66---Here is the beginning to the sutra - hopefully it will paste
in correctly.

"The Great Way is not difficult
for those not attached to preferences.
When neither love nor hate arises,
all is clear and undisguised.
Separate by the smallest amount, however,
and you are as far from it as heaven is from earth.

If you wish to know the truth,
then hold to no opinions for or against anything.
To set up what you like against what you dislike
is the disease of the mind.

When the fundamental nature of things is not recognized
the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.
The Way is perfect as vast space is perfect,
where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess.

Indeed, it is due to our grasping and rejecting
that we do not know the true nature of things.
Live neither in the entanglements of outer things,
nor in ideas or feelings of emptiness.
Be serene and at one with things
and erroneous views will disappear by themselves."

3rd Century Chinese Zen

have to say Amen.

ttt

Wasn't Bruce a very spiritual person?

i don't want to scare you guys or anything but i am an old JKD guy, under the Inosanto system (bruces buddy)

Did it a few years along time ago, JKD (jun fan gung fu), kali/escrima, muay thai, shootfighting, wing chun, savate etc etc
also marinated myself in Bruce Lee for many years.

takes of shirt to display scrawny muscles and yelps like a small dog

By the way MMA and JKD are philosophies that are totally and completely in conflict with any sort of fundementalist philosophy. By nature both go the opposite open minded direction.....

woohoo another big win for Agnostics and thier bastards brethren the atheists.

Take that Fundies!!!!!

if this stuff appeals or resonates with you, pick up a copy of the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tze - the 'foundation text' of Taoism, as it were. I recommend the Watkins Publishing version, as it includes a nice commentary after each verse. Kind of thing you can read in an hour or so, but can return to each day if you want. It wont conflict with any of your other beliefs either, (I don't know if are religious or not, but thought I'd throw that in anyway).