Trying to grow indoor pepper planets TME

So while I was at the local nursery I noticed they were selling Reaper and Ghost Chili pepper plants and thought what the hell lets see if I can do it. Well I tried potting them outside to see how they would do and noticed the Vegas heat and dry ass air was killing them so I brought them inside.

Got me some grow lights and a nice shelving system but thats about all I know and google isn't really that step by step and I know you guys have grown them before...

So TME

![](upload://bF338Nu1tHGgNm0kcLa4t5C3oE8.jpeg)

my get up so far

Nailed it

southcraw -

Nailed it

![](upload://iDpgGWcOCDmDnseD0Cga6V6lR6J.gif)

not sure what type of light you have there

should grow well in vegas I would think

maybe some shade cloth to cut the heat a bit

and in a pot that size the roots will cook IMO

that setup looks too dark to me

Rambo John J - not sure what type of light you have there

should grow well in vegas I would think

maybe some shade cloth to cut the heat a bit

and in a pot that size the roots will cook IMO

that setup looks too dark to me

Yeah I thought it would be awesome out on the porch under the overhang where it gets dawn and dusk sun but after a week out there they looked all dry and shit. This set up is just temporary till they get bigger then I’ll try outside again. The shade cloth thing sounds like a good idea too.

Edit. Did I get too big of a pot? I thought the bigger the better?

![](upload://oYizWVxGpX3PqzdUy5m3Ieuwa1q.jpeg)

here’s the lamps I got

Just grow them in the shade.

If they haven’t been exposed to the direct heat and sun, you need to harden them off. That means putting them outside each day, starting with a couple hours before the hottest part of the day, then increase until they can be outside full time. 

Peppers like heat, but Vegas might be too much. You can look into what growers do to compensate, but I think planting them somewhere that gets half day sun would be good. 

You’d need to invest in some proper grow lights to actually grow them completely indoors.  You might get away with doing it indoors if they could be in a window that got first direct sunlight. 

1 Like

never been to vegas so my advice may be way off

those lights look to weak and the pot is maybe too small if outside temp is hitting 90-100

peppers love warm evening temp so if you can get the daytime figured out you could do well

He was saying the pot is too small, not too big. And the dark exterior color of the pot might absorb more heat. 

You might also have to water multiple times a day. Soil should stay consistently damp, but not water logged or soaked.  

GenericAmerican -

He was saying the pot is too small, not too big. And the dark exterior color of the pot might absorb more heat. 

You might also have to water multiple times a day. Soil should stay consistently damp, but not water logged or soaked.  

Ah ok yeah that all makes sense. First time growing any kind of veggies really so I am king newb lol

So

1.Bigger, lighter color pot

2. Shade cloth.

3. Water more.

Yes, there will be some trial and error, but that’s the fun of gardening

i just did some quick googling and I think to successfully grow peppers indoors, you’d need closer to 500+ watt LED lights.  

Those 32w lights would be good for keeping an indoor plant alive or for starting seeds indoors, but you’d have a hard time producing veggies. 

If you don’t mind messing with them, you could keep them under those grow lights for most of the time and then put them outside each day for 4 hours or so. Might make it easier to keep them from frying.  You can also get those auto watering glass tube things to stick in the pots to keep them from drying out. 

Can you put them into the ground? If not, maybe a bigger pot that you can keep moist?

When they are healthy and ready to produce give them Epson Salt. That makes them produce many more than they normally would.

StrikingMMA -

Can you put them into the ground? If not, maybe a bigger pot that you can keep moist?

When they are healthy and ready to produce give them Epson Salt. That makes them produce many more than they normally would.

The plan is to plant them in the ground outside when they get bigger/stronger. If worse comes to work I’ve been eyeing a big trough pot that I saw at the nursery when I bought the plants and just hook them up to my irrigation drip system and keep them in the shade where it get’s a few hours of light a day.

Acouple years ago Pescy gave me some reaper seeds and I grew them to about 4 inches or so but the minute I transplanted them into the ground they died due to the shit ground/ death ray sun we have in Vegas so it’s just a learning process I guess.