Trying to identify BJJ Dirty Dozen

Pat Hardy Phone Post

Steve Maxwell? Phone Post

If it isn't a 90's promo then unlikely Phone Post

I can't remember exactly what the record was, I'll have to ask him when I see him this friday. I know the record was listed in an issue of Inside Kung Fu in the mid 90s. It was either the most classes in 6 months or the most private lesson in 6 months.

Anyway, Dave Ruiz, along with a few other students, actually lived with Royce while they were training at the Gracie Academy; Dave was also among the first students enrolled in Rorion's instructor program so he got alot of one on one time with Royce as well as Rorion and Helio, the latter two was mostly in regards to how to teach Gjj.

m.g - 12,

I can't remember exactly what the record was, I'll have to ask him when I see him this friday. I know the record was listed in an issue of Inside Kung Fu in the mid 90s. It was either the most classes in 6 months or the most private lesson in 6 months.

Anyway, Dave Ruiz, along with a few other students, actually lived with Royce while they were training at the Gracie Academy; Dave was also among the first students enrolled in Rorion's instructor program so he got alot of one on one time with Royce as well as Rorion and Helio, the latter two was mostly in regards to how to teach Gjj.

over a 6 month period,he may be the record holder

Nelson Solari got his BB from Liborio.

pete debeen got his black in 1999 after the pan ams where he got a bronze.

http://pureaikido.com/graciejiujitsu/pdf/jiu_article1.pdf

nice article for you.

I will confirm that Craig's name is pronounced Q-Kuck.

He received his blackbelt from Royler in 1992.

elgringo - off topic, but how do you pronounce Kukuk?
Coo-Cuck

*Edited to say Boise is probably right. I was just thinking back to my old bjj a-z tapes where I could have swore he was saying coo-cuck.

MurdochIRL - 

Steve Maxwell? Phone Post

Maxwell was 2001.

Not sure about the originals, I'd says Kukuk got sure, I actually took my very first class from him. Bob Bass is in there for sure a well.
Lowell Anderson from what I heard gave himself a black belt (I'm not saying this, just what I've heard).
John De La O, heard from many people over the years that he was not legit. I have no idea one way or another.
Dave and I were at the Gracie academy at the beginning of the instructor program, I have a picture of the first of us, I'll try to post later. I was doing the "instructor program" actually before an official one existed, lol, I guess I'm getting old! Phone Post

Sean Alvarez? Really? I must be getting really old then. lol. Im pretty sure he isnt one ofmthe first 12. He seems too new, when he was doing mma, a lot of those fights he wasnt even a black belt. Btw Rick lucero did not get his black from rickson. He trained under him not sure to what belt but lucero is not a rickson bb? There's no way nick Serra is one of the 12. Im very Doubtful Matt is one as well.

from

https://www.facebook.com/bjjdirtydozen/info

About

The BJJ Dirty Dozen are the first 12 non-Brazilian students to receive Black Belts in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. This page is dedicated to documenting and honoring their pioneering efforts in this martial art.
Biography

We would like to include any non-Brazilian who received a BJJ Black Belt up and through the year 1998 on this list. Please feel free to contact us for any corrections or additions. The names listed after each year are in no particular order and DO NOT represent who go their black belt first.

Craig Kukuk (Royler Gracie)

Ken Gabrielson (Reylson Gracie)

David Kama (Rickson Gracie)
Bob Bass (Rigan Machado)

Chris Haueter (Rigan Machado)
David Meyer (Rigan Machado)
Rick Wlliams (Rigan Machado)
Rick Minter (Rigan Machado)

John Lewis (Andre Pederneiras)
Chris Saunders (Rickson Gracie)

Roy Harris (Joe Moreira)
John Will (Rigan and J J Machado)
Rick Lucero (Joe Moreira)

John Wil's Tattoo

Anyone know if the other members have this tattoo as well?

Alot of history there Phone Post

Mr positive - It would be interesting to hear an interview with Kukuk!

Classes with Craig are amazing. Not only do you learn top quality no-gi jiu jitsu, each class is also like a BJJ history lesson. Craig is a great guy and I feel fortunate to have him as my instructor and friend. It amazes me that a legend like Craig has chosen to call Boise, Idaho home.

I can confirm that Craig doesn't have any tattoos...but he does still have his trademark mustache.

And not to beat a dead horse, but he pronounces his name Q-Cuck, so I have to assume that's the right way to say it.

Mr positive - Also who was the best grappler out of the dirty dozen as far grappling accomplishments go?

not sure.

but if there was a DD tourney back in the day, my money woulda been on Bob Bass.