Trying to restart jiu jitsu - loooong layoff

Hey all, 

looking for advice/motivation. I used to be pretty good at Jiu-Jitsu. Got my blue belt in less than a year in 2001. Got two stripes from Saulo Ribeiro 4 months later. Then went to college and had to take time off from lack of car. 

Got it back into it after but focused less on gi and started doing Thai. Had some issues with a job and had to take more time off. Finally got back into jiu jitsu again more seriously in 2010ish and got a third stripe. Was doing judo as well and was rolling really well. 

Stuff happened with work work and a move and then it was a couple more years off. Started training again, but focused on Thai and a little NOGI in about 2013 but gradually shifted to Thai. 

So I want to start up bjj again seriously and it’s been about 5-6 years since I wore a gi. I’ve got pretty good striking cardio but finally rolled in a gi and it sucked. 

Cant seem to remember grip fighting. Moves are slow to come into my mind. I feel like an idiot and it’s demoralizing. 

I realize putting time in is the best way to get back but looking for ideas that might help me get there faster. Any cardio workouts I can do that will be transferable to grappling?

if not, thanks for letting me vent. 

I also took a long layoff, around 9 years.  Back at it around 2 years now.  I was a blue belt as well, but felt like I was starting from scratch. My weight and cardio was terrible and the game changed a lot in those 9 years.   I  empathize with you.  I can tell you that even though coming back sucked and was hard, I’m so happy I stuck with it. I’m seeing improvements and having a lot of fun now.  Stay with it, you’ll be happy you did. 

I’m also a blue belt that just got back in after just over 2 years off. A bit different as Im 43 and wasnt very good to begin with, but my lungs feel bruised after each class. I get so winded that the world starts to close in and it feels like I’m going to either throw up or pass out after every roll.

The technical aspect is bad, too. I was close to purple before I left, and now I feel silly in class forgetting the most basic things. Its slowly starting to come back and the instructors are constantly reminding me to be patient, which helps a lot.

I have nothing for you regarding cardio workouts, but at least you aren’t the only one that feels like an idiot.

Change your mindset.

panic686 - 

So I want to start up bjj again seriously and it’s been about 5-6 years since I wore a gi. I’ve got pretty good striking cardio but finally rolled in a gi and it sucked. 

Cant seem to remember grip fighting. Moves are slow to come into my mind. I feel like an idiot and it’s demoralizing. 

I realize putting time in is the best way to get back but looking for ideas that might help me get there faster. Any cardio workouts I can do that will be transferable to grappling?

if not, thanks for letting me vent. 

Welcome to the party. I was off the mats for a few years as a brand new black belt.  I wish I could tell you there's a shortcut to "getting it back," but there definitely isn't.  

Maybe keep in mind that it's about wanting to do the journey on a daily basis, not about the destination.

Good training to you!

~TT

Pittshady -

I also took a long layoff, around 9 years.  Back at it around 2 years now.  I was a blue belt as well, but felt like I was starting from scratch. My weight and cardio was terrible and the game changed a lot in those 9 years.   I  empathize with you.  I can tell you that even though coming back sucked and was hard, I’m so happy I stuck with it. I’m seeing improvements and having a lot of fun now.  Stay with it, you’ll be happy you did. 

I forgot to mention that I’m 41 and I’ve incorporated kettle bells and the exercise bike into my conditioning routine.  Running is too hard on my knees.  That plus rolling has helped a lot. 

I got to four stripe blue belt and took about 7 years off.   I was slower, less smooth, and the game changed a lot but I didn’t really care, was having fun so I kept going, got my purple belt last December and still really enjoying it 

19 years since you got your blue belt? too old. give it away

Thanks for sharing the stories guys.  It does make me feel better to know it happens to many of us. And dojo stormer, without the gi I can still give lots of people a hard time so going back to white belt doesn’t seem to make since - especially since Saulo ranked me. 

I got my purple in 2009 then stopped until 2016. It sucked comming back with a high rank and a shit game. It took one full year before I felt comfortable again.  I’m having a blast and hope the do it until I physically can’t any more 

I think one of the best ways to develop your cardio for Bjj is to take two or three solo drills (see Jason Scully’s 54 Solo Drills thread) and make a circuit/interval workout out of them.

The key is to do a fair amount of reps (enough to challenge you) of each solo drill during each interval. I suggest using the time of a standard round of sparring, break it down into manageable intervals and give each interval a jiujitsu specific solo drill.

Here’s some motivation for you - I just got my purple belt a few weeks ago... best way to buil grappling cardio is to grapple just like the beat way to build boxing cardio is to train boxing. 

Long time since we talked or seen each other. Hit me up whenever you’re down in Florida.