Tsunami=True Test of Christianity

I am a little disgusted by some of the supposed Christians who say that now more than ever they need our prayers. what they need is FOOD and MONEY.

Notice that everytime Jesus went to the hungry or sick, he FED or HEALED them first and talked later. If Jesus was anything like what many supposed Christians are today, he would have just prayed about them and done nothing.

Prayer is something you do when you have no power to do anything. Jesus didn't pray about anything he had power to do himself. Even when he spoke out loud when raising Lazarus, he said it was to the benefit of those hearing. Jesus prayed in Gesthamane about something that was the Father's will. That's the only time he prayed, that I recall. The rest he did himself.

'Prayer is a good excuse for inaction' is very true. Unless you have nothing to give - you should be giving something they really need. I think Jesus would have been ashamed of some of these lazy people who mumble a few words to absolve themselves of responsibility and don't want to give anything or get their precious hands dirty.

Yeah, it is impossible to give money and pray.

The earnest prayers of a righteous man availeth much

please give all you can, and then give more, but pray everyday with all diligence and passion

the rev

Who are some of the supposed Christians. I haven't given any money to Tsunami victims. Am I lazy? I think you make a good point but you are kind of whitewashing. The Tsunami victims need food, money, medical help, prayer, and much more.

Remember the poor beggar who died a poor beggar. The difference between him and the rich man was that he evidently had his life right with God.

Bringing the gospel is the most important task a Christian can do.

Rooster my point is to GIVE first, then pray. praying alone is not sufficient.

I can't think of ONE example where Jesus prayed without DOING anything. NOT ONE.

I don't have much to give - but I couldn't look at myself in the mirror and say I am doing Christ's will by just sitting and flapping my lips praying about people who have lost everything - and I mean everything.

If Jesus was physically here, my opinion is that he would very likely be right there in the middle of it all, feeding thousands with just 5 loaves of bread. Healing the injured. Not preaching the gospel in american and praying without doing anything. it is a church driven MYTH that we Christians don't have to do anything but pray and spread the Gospel. We have PLENTY to do to live up to being called "Christian".

Matthew 25:35

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him,

“Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,”

but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

Bring the gospel, but the good news isn't very good when it comes in the form of a bible, without food or a blanket or medicine or caring, really doesn't help at all.

You may as well just dump bibles on the land from a planeand not send missionaries and hope people find them if your going to take that approach.

I think if your approaching the gospel as Jesus would have wanted you to, you would be showing your faith BY helping and donating time or money or whatever you feel that God wants you to do, but Im certain absolutely that God wants each and every one of us to help with this, and in more than just praying for people.

"Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him,
“Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,”

but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?"

yeah that's from James - the book martin luther wanted removed from the bible. no wonder so many protestants are screwed in the head thinking they don't need to do anything for anyone.

bah....Im not a big fan of luther....but we won't talk about that. Its intresting that so many people do think that all they have to do is make som intellectual assertion and God will do the rest.....

"This people honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me"

This is a post full of mindless bitterness.

Your assumption is that they aren't doing anythimg BUT praying, and that assumption is incredibly wrong.

I know the group that I gave to, the Catholic Relief Services, the humanitarian services group for US catholics, made an initial donation of $25 million, more than many governments. They said they have more pledges coming in, so that is just the beginning. They also have emergency teams of doctors and nurses and grief counselors they send. And we are mostly a protestant country, so I would imagine the protestant denominations will give more than that.

I dont think I meant for this to be bitter, Im just saying along with your Gospel, bring some hands to help with the work, and perhaps it will go a little further. The way it was meant to.

"It's Christ like to give but not to talk about it."

nope - Christ said to pray and fast in secret. when Christ fed 5,000 it's obvious at least 5,000 plus 12 saw it, so I don't know what was so secret about it.

---"The prayers of the faithful can move mountains.

I for one would be very interested to see a mountain moved by prayer. Can you please give me a demo? Actually, if you could just pray for my computer monitor to raise a few inches off the table within the next few days or something that would be just as cool.

Or do you mean the efforts of the faithful can move mountains?

Prof.

Prof - Jesus meant that FIGURATIVELY. only the fundamentals don't get the fact that almost all of the time (until the very end), Jesus spoke in parables. let me give you 3 examples:

1) when Jesus said 'destroy this temple and I will raise it in 3 days' - the narrator (John) says, 'but the temple he meant was his body

2) Jesus says Lazarus isn't dead but asleep. apostles say 'if he is sleeping he'll get better'. narrator (John) says 'they thought he meant natural sleep, so Jesus said, Lazarus is dead' etc and raised him.

3) beware of the yeast of the pharisees. disciples thought he meant yeast of bread, but he meant hypocrisy.

I could go on.......here's where John starts to end:

John 16

"25“Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father...29Then Jesus' disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech."

see Prof - Christianity isn't dumb. Some people are just too slow to realize that Jesus spoke everything in parables, and you must learn by the above examples that nothing is literal. I don't know what 'mountain' is, but it's certainly not to be taken any more literally than 'yeast', 'sleep', or 'temple'.

beverlyhillsp,

---"see Prof - Christianity isn't dumb. Some people are just too slow to realize that Jesus spoke everything in parables,

You will have a lot of trouble convincing a large number of your Christian brothers and sisters of this.

But, then, that's what denominations are for...

Prof.

Looks like I had to convince YOU of it too - since you took it literally. or maybe you were just playing.

you're right though about my brothers and sisters - my concern is to educate them about this and run through this thick wall of fundamentalist ignorance that has ruined the understanding of Christ's teachings.

bhpi,

go on...i am interested to learn more about your view

beverlyhillspi,

Christians are giving to his fund. Non-Christians are giving as well. Both groups are praying. Likewise, I'm sure there are representatives from both groups who are saying and praying a lot but not doing anything much in terms of material help.

The principle here is neither be a Martha or a Mary but have elements of both. Give and help pratically but pray as well. Pray that the ship full of supplies goes through, pray that you don't get further aftershocks , and the list goes on.

So while you can cover most of the bases in a real sense, there is an area that man can't control and only God can. And the only way to petition him is through prayer.

---"Looks like I had to convince YOU of it too - since you took it literally. or maybe you were just playing.

Of course I don't take such outlandish statements literally, simply because it's in the Bible.

But I have long since learned not to assume the same of Christians.

Prof.