TUF3: Tait Fletcher v Josh Haynes

Random thoughts:

• Round one is a close 10-9 for Haynes. Round two is 10-10, or possibly 10-9 Fletcher. I agree with Dana, it should have gone to a third round, but if someone had to win based on those two rounds, Haynes was definitely the right choice.

• Despite the protestations of a few UG morons, there was no shame in Haynes' crying. That being said, I can't imagine outing my deepest pains and feelings to a national TV audience.

• Tait came across this show as an honest, genuine guy with a decent sense of humor. I actually found myself liking him. In contrast, Josh, despite his tearful my-son-is-a-cancer-survivor story, lost personality points when he kept talking about killing Tait. I understand that some people think it gives them an edge to work up feelings of hatred and loathing toward their opponent, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

• Similarly, I actually found myself feeling a little sorry for Shamrock, who appeared for the first time to have invested energy and real effort into training his guy for the fight. In contrast, Ortiz came across as a jerk when he took a low blow at Shamrock over the results of a close fight.

• When a bigger, stronger guy picks on a smaller, weaker guy just for the fun of it, the bigger guy is a bully. When a smarter guy taunts a guy who isn't as smart just for the fun of it, the smarter guy is a bully. I think Tito is a bully.

• That is not to say Ken is stupid. He isn't. He just doesn't have the "coaching smarts" that Tito has. I don't fault Ken for that. (I do fault him for neglecting to train his guys, though.)

• Tito also does a much better job of cornering his guys. That might actually have been the difference in this fight; Ken's cornering consisted mostly of shouting encouragement and obvious things -- "Go for the submission!" -- where Tito gave his usual good instructions.

• Tait's knee hit Josh near the navel, so unless his testicles haven't descended yet, that was no groin shot.

• TUF coaches, most to least likeable: Tito, Rich (tie), Randy (tie), Chuck, Ken, Matt.

• TUF coaches, most to least effective: Tito (tie), Matt (tie), Chuck* (tie), Rich, Randy*, Ken.

• So Randy was the least effective likeable coach, and Matt was the most effective unlikeable coach.

• *I don't think Randy's poor TUF coaching record is a reflection of his coaching; I think he just picked the wrong guys. Similarly, I don't know that Chuck was that great of a coach so much as he had a great eye for talent.

• Cardio is sooooooo important in the UFC, but I think the two-round TUF fights minimize that aspect.

• Question: Is it more important to spend your time working on your weak points (e.g. Tait on his standup) or working toward your strengths (e.g. Tait on his takedowns for submission)? I think in the long term it's more important to strengthen your weak points, but in the timeframe of the TUF show, you really have to work to your strengths and just pick up what you can on your weak points.

ttt

"or working toward your strengths (e.g. Tait on his takedowns for submission)?"

are you saying his takedowns were good? i thought they were non existent except to clinch and try to fall backward

No, I'm saying he needed to work on his takedowns to work toward his strength (grappling, subs).

Channeling D1sturb3d...

Random thought:

Who gives a fuck?!

People not screennamed triphelin, perhaps...

I know it's a tough concept, but not everyone shares your tastes or thoughts. Weird, I know, but still true.

t

Mostly good points.

However, you can't score a round 10-10. You have to have a winner.

Good analysis... and right on the money, in my opinion.

Thats the first I saw it. How clear.

I wanted to see a 3rd round. See how far these two could go, and somebody get ktfo!

Where can I get a custom mouthguard like Taits, Paul Wall?

Best fight yet.

I disagree about one thing. Tito and his coaches are greater then any coaches from any other season.

First of all ... Fletcher was WAAAYYYY bigger and taller... those guys shouldnt be in the same weight class ... Nobody won the 2nd round IMO (draw)... Fletcher didnt wanna stand,, he couldnt take Josh down so he resorted to falling to his butt or pulling guard ,if u wanna call it that, to take it too the ground ... IMO ,, ur opponent should be awarded a scored takedown when u do that as your only resort to getting the fight to the ground... If u cant get a takedown or win an exchange on your feet against a guy 6 inches shorter and probably 20 pounds lighter u dont deserve to win the fight imo...

"First of all ... Fletcher was WAAAYYYY bigger and taller... those guys shouldnt be in the same weight class "

Josh had a lot of fat on him. It is not Tait's fault that Josh is flabby.

very close fight. how one judge had it two rounds to zero for tait and the other two had it two rounds to zero for josh is beyond me. i had it even.

"very close fight. how one judge had it two rounds to zero for tait and the other two had it two rounds to zero for josh is beyond me. i had it even."

Agreed. I don't understand the scoring at all. Maybe the judges just don't get as good a view as the spectators, given the various camera angles and such. Otoh, if all the judges sit together, how did one score it 2-0 Fletcher and the others 2-0 Haynes?

WHy because he is emotiaonal about his kid almost dying? That was probably the truest emotion I've ever seen. I can't imagine going through that.

Everyone has their own motivation for fighting...I try not to judge people for what pushes them. At least something is...admittedly my motivation is more in line with taits...but eh, whatever does it for you. Can't hate on the guy for being himself...all opinion of the fight aside, I think he really feels what he portrays, and has reason to be emotional imo. Nothing wrong with being honest.

Josh had a lot of fat on him. It is not Tait's fault that Josh is flabbyz"

Very true .. but it doesnt change the FACT that Fletcher has a MUCH larger and longer body .. 2 weight classes could easily seperate those guys .. and IMO if u cant beat a guy like Josh when u have that much of a size advantage I dont really see how Fletcher can compete with legit guys at his weight that are actually good pro's....