TVs Who's the OG resident expert??

I need a new TV.

3 years ago, my Panasonic plasma shit the bed, all of a sudden.   The Pana Plasmas were great and you didn't have to be a technophile to know you were buying the best tv.  Easy as pie.

when it died, there were no more plasmas so  I bought a 75" Sony 4K something or other and probably way over paid.   I barely even use it.  Today we just sat down to watch tv and the fucker wont turn on.   Sony had me try some shit that didn't work so they said the tv needs repair.   Fuck all that.  Wont I end up paying a shitload in parts and labor?  Serious, I really dont know.  The tv is only 3 yrs old.

So what are the recommendations for what TV to buy now a days?  I want at least 75" again and this time I'm totally cool with not getting the best thing out there.  I have to assume you can get pretty fn good for a lot less money.  This sony XBR75X850D had a decent picture but sucked if the sun was shining anywhere near it.

Thanks for any help provided.  Need to buy something in the next couple of days 

LG Oled

Sony 75" was the right move, especially coming from Panasonic plasma.

Sucks to get a lemon. At least get a repair estimate.

OLED is not worth the risk of burn in. There have been TVs only a few weeks old showing burn in at CES and other shows.

Gforce - Sony 75" was the right move, especially coming from Panasonic plasma.

Sucks to get a lemon. At least get a repair estimate.

OLED is not worth the risk of burn in. There have been TVs only a few weeks old showing burn in at CES and other shows.

I'll get a repair estimate.   I don't have a clue where to get one but I'll find something.    not like they have TV repair shops on every corner.   

So if I am replacing this thing, what do you recommend?    I'm cool to stay away from OLED.   I know it's the priciest type out there which is usually what I'm a sucker for.  

I'll get a repair estimate.   I don't have a clue where to get one but I'll find something.    not like they have TV repair shops on every corner.   

So if I am replacing this thing, what do you recommend?    I'm cool to stay away from OLED.   I know it's the priciest type out there which is usually what I'm a sucker for.  

Do you hear sound? Do either Male of female power plug look fucked? I hear TVs go bad on the regular because of a capacitor? Will you open the TV up ?

Odinson -

Do you hear sound? Do either Male of female power plug look fucked? I hear TVs go bad on the regular because of a capacitor? Will you open the TV up ?

no sound,  its just dead.   I used it Thurs night for about an hour, went to bed,went to work, tried to turn it on at dinner time and nothing happened.  No lights or sounds.    Its plugged into what was a pretty expensive surge protector.   I also have my sonos and cable box plugged into the same surge but nothing else.   the cable box comes on and the sonos has a light on so I have to assume it works.    I contacted Sony, they had me unplug it for a while, then plug it into the outlet not the surge protector.   That didn't work either.     I tried a few other things to reset the tv but nothing worked.  

i'm not afraid to open the TV.    Replacing boards and all that shit might be a different story but it all depends.   

Personally I would open it see how many boards it has how many capacitors if it just has one capacitor and one board I would look them up and change them both

Odinson - 

Personally I would open it see how many boards it has how many capacitors if it just has one capacitor and one board I would look them up and change them both

Will try when I get home today.

do you know anything about these TCL TV's ?
CNET dude seems to love them and they are a lot cheaper

TV's are usually fairly easy to to repair. The entire back panel is just held on by screws then you will have access to the circuit boards. There is usually 2 main circuit boards - a power supply board and a tcon board. Replacement boards are easy to find online and can be bought for less than $100. You can find service manuals online to help you diagnose which board is causing the problem.

I just did the same thing. Bought a tv on craigslist for $40 because it didn't turn on. Brought it home, took the back off, followed the service manual and found that the tcon board was bad. Another $90 and now I have a fully functional 60" Samsung 4K tv.

jake11 -
Odinson - 

ttt for answer to this

jake11 -
Odinson - 

TCL's are great. LOw priced and last. I have bought 2 of them with now issue.

Honestly, I'd probably buy another Sony.

I'd fully understand if you didn't, as you got fucked in that deal. That said, they are generally considered reliable.

TCL is doing some very good things at low prices. Incredible bang for the buck. Hisense may be even better. Some say even more quality at low pries.

That said, they aren't on the level of Sony picture quality wise.

Rtings put out some very solid info on TVs. I trust the reviews they put out.

https://www.rtings.com/

I have a Vizio an RCA and 2 TCL I'm not the type of person to get caught up by the picture quality so the TCL it's perfect for me

VFR -

TV's are usually fairly easy to to repair. The entire back panel is just held on by screws then you will have access to the circuit boards. There is usually 2 main circuit boards - a power supply board and a tcon board. Replacement boards are easy to find online and can be bought for less than $100. You can find service manuals online to help you diagnose which board is causing the problem.

I just did the same thing. Bought a tv on craigslist for $40 because it didn't turn on. Brought it home, took the back off, followed the service manual and found that the tcon board was bad. Another $90 and now I have a fully functional 60" Samsung 4K tv.

Just throwing shit at the wall here but I agree with what this guy said I would definitely look in the service manual but if the TV is not doing anything no sound no lights my guess would be the main power board. How you could get lucky and there could be just a fuse popped on a board

from what i've read, tcl's are great as long as you stay under 65". as long as your screen isn't cracked on that sony, the repair shouldn't be expensive or you can do it yourself. today's tv's are all screen, if that's cracked or damaged you're fucked.

Just get a JVC D-ILA set. 

My 3 year old Samsung crapped out on me.

Took the plunge and purchased an LG 55” LGBX.

pulled up some 4K videos on YouTube and now have the biggest crush on my TV.  

Sounds like it's a bright room.

OLED TVs are currently the best on the market (LG and Sony, with Vizio about to enter the market as well) because each individual pixel is lit seperately, allowing for infinite black levels. The only reason to opt for an LCD would be cost, if you're in a really bright room, or if you will be displaying a lot of static content on the screen which could lead to burn in (e.g. sports bars, or if you watch fake news 12 hrs a day, the logos will burn in). 99.9% of consumers don't need to worry about burn in with modern OLED sets. Image retention is not the same as burn in.

The best LCDs on the market are Sony and Vizio. I'd avoid Samsung at this point, they've hedged their tech bets wrong by sticking to LCD for even their high end sets, and have slowly starting losing sales to Vizio, TCL, Sony, and others. Now they've just switched up their panel manufacturers to a cheaper Chinese brand. Samsung's OS is terrible, and so is their remote. Don't fall for Samsung's "QLED" nonsense, it's just a marketing gimmick that all the other brands have as well (Sony calls it "Triluminos"). QLED is literally a singular feature, but it's still an LCD TV. Whereas OLED is a product category (not an LCD).

For LCD, I'd go with a Sony. Best color accuracy, processor, best remote, best OS, best upscaling. Otherwise, if you can control the brightness of the room, go with LG OLED for the best of the best. The 77" model has finally come down to earth with their pricing, see slickdeals.net for deals on them.

Go to rtings.com and do some research. This is the TV I'd get if it were a bright room: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950h