TWA 800?? (docu free on Prime)

I remember the night this happened and the weeks following. I remember some thought terrorist, some thought a huge fuck up by our navy, some said russians... eventually the "official" report said center fuel explossion in the wing and that the hundreds of witnesses were just mistaken. 

At the time, I wasn't in the right state of mind to grasp the gravity of what happened (as far as possible cover-up) I just watched this docu on Prime and holy fuck at the evidence! Even the NTSB's own investigators are saying the FBI was full of shit and covering something up.

So, since I'm late to the party... whats the general consensus today in the conspiracy crowd to what really happened out there?

I always assumed some level of fuckery after the CIA produced a video saying the nose of the plane came off and it then climbed a few thousand feet. Along with saying “it was not a missle”. Im not even a conspiracy type either. 

topteam71 - 

I always assumed some level of fuckery after the CIA produced a video saying the nose of the plane came off and it then climbed a few thousand feet. Along with saying “it was not a missle”. Im not even a conspiracy type either. 

Yea, that video was all kinds of fucked. I didn't follow back then to remember that, but to see that in today's terms along with that doumentary, it makes me think were people really that fucking stupid back then? I mean, the internet was in it's infancy, but it WAS available. I can't believe this bullshit didn't catch more steam. It all makes me wonder just how big an event HAS to be before people truly band together against government bullshit.

HighInsideLegKick - 

It's been a while since I have read about it, but didn't a lot of people claim they saw a missle?

Yea, MANY people... on the ground and even a Nam vet saw it from the air while in a helicopter. The FBI claims they are all mistaken and they really saw the plane climing after it blew apart, which the actual radar and data disputes.

lol @ that fucking CIA video

Why in theory did a missile hit it? Was there somebody/thing important on the plane or it was a friendly fire incident?

RKing85 - 

Why in theory did a missile hit it? Was there somebody/thing important on the plane or it was a friendly fire incident?

Couple theories I've heard were random terrorists using some type of surface to air... or our own Navy fucking up in some form.

I recall the FBI being highly criticized because during their interviews with eye witnesses they didn't record or take any written statements. In addition, no eye witnesses were permitted to testify. I believe, and I could be wrong, that all parts of the FBI witness investigation  were summaries written up by FBI and no "official" statements from the witnesses. 

Lurker99 -
HighInsideLegKick - 

It's been a while since I have read about it, but didn't a lot of people claim they saw a missle?

Yea, MANY people... on the ground and even a Nam vet saw it from the air while in a helicopter. The FBI claims they are all mistaken and they really saw the plane climing after it blew apart, which the actual radar and data disputes.

Eyewitness testimony is probably the least reliable type of evidence in this kind of case.

John the hangman Ruth - 

I recall the FBI being highly criticized because during their interviews with eye witnesses they didn't record or take any written statements. In addition, no eye witnesses were permitted to testify. I believe, and I could be wrong, that all parts of the FBI witness investigation  were summaries written up by FBI and no "official" statements from the witnesses. 

I've been hoping someone knowledgable on everything would chime in and drop some knowledge, but I'll keep replying with what little I know. In that EPIX doc, a few witnesses described being almost threatened to not talk. One lady that specifically used the term missle and not just "flare" or "firework like" was warned of her pending citizenship being in jeopardy if she didn't keep quiet. Others describe how their statements were twisted, or altered to fit the official naarrative.

Didn’t the pilot say the plane was showing crazy readings right before it went down? I don’t know much about and my memory sucks.

Also, eyewitnesses are wrong many times. Eyewitnesses applauded when the space shuttle exploded after launch in the 80’s because they thought it was supposed to do that.

banco - 
Lurker99 -
HighInsideLegKick - 

Eyewitness testimony is probably the least reliable type of evidence in this kind of case.

Emotion and general understanding combined with personal experiences can definately fuck with what people actually saw vs what really happened... but when multiple witnesses from many locations and angles, on the ground AND air, one in a helicopter, another a pilot of a neighboring plane ALL see the same thing (that being SOMETHING rising from the earth to the sky BEFORE the explosion) how can that be completely ignored when there was evidence to support it? That evidence being nitrates and explossive chemical traces... yet no actual ignition source for the official cause ever found?

Burt Reynoldz - Didn't the pilot say the plane was showing crazy readings right before it went down? I don't know much about and my memory sucks.

Also, eyewitnesses are wrong many times. Eyewitnesses applauded when the space shuttle exploded after launch in the 80’s because they thought it was supposed to do that.

I haven't heard this, thanks. I'm assuming you mean the pilot of TWA 800? I haven't listened to the voice recorders yet and ws wondering why they weren't part of the EPIX doc on Prime. 

banco -
Lurker99 -
HighInsideLegKick - 

The end result was a guess - they thought it could be from a loose or damaged wire but they couldn’t show proof.

Some of the eye witnesses were pilots on other planes. It's been a while since I read much on it but I believe that the national guard responded so fast that they arrived in the vicinity and had to leave because of falling parts. 

With all that said...try researching the mechanical history of the plane. I believe it had issues for a few weeks prior to the flight. 

I've only seen the Air Crash Investigation episode on this, and obviously that showed the "official" story and glossed over the controversy.

Are there any good videos available online, not total conspiracy vids but something that gives a fairly balanced viewpoint?

John the hangman Ruth -

Some of the eye witnesses were pilots on other planes. It's been a while since I read much on it but I believe that the national guard responded so fast that they arrived in the vicinity and had to leave because of falling parts. 

With all that said...try researching the mechanical history of the plane. I believe it had issues for a few weeks prior to the flight. 

Negative Ghostrider

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1996-07-19-mn-25750-story.html

I remember a video was on the very initial new report. I remember it being right after it happened, like breaking news.. -to my recollection- the video showed a line of smoke or something going toward the plane and hitting it.  Then on the very next news hour, there was no video and I never saw the same video again, ever. 

I was 40 at the time.

Another Clinton lie. 

Renzo's Elbow - 

I remember a video was on the very initial new report. I remember it being right after it happened, like breaking news.. -to my recollection- the video showed a line of smoke or something going toward the plane and hitting it.  Then on the very next news hour, there was no video and I never saw the same video again, ever. 

I was 40 at the time.

I'm glad someone else mentioned this as I wasn't going to. I was binge watching "Air Disasters" and thats what lead me to want to see something on this as I couldn't find an AD episode on it. I found the EPIX doc on Prime and watched it... going in, all I remembered was the theory of it being shot down. In hindsight with all the terrorist shit, I thought it was probable. I, too, thought I remembered a shitty witness video of a trail of smoke the evening it happened on the news. After watching the doc and some youtube shit with simulations and shit and nothing jarring my already foggy memory, I assumed I misremembered, which oddly enough fits the narative of the FBI lol. Maybe we both are having that Mandela effect thing...