"Two Sided" Mouthpiece= better KO protection?

When I say 2 sided, I mean that there is molding that the top and bottom sets of teeth are fit into, with a hole for air in the front between the teeth, like this http://www.brainpads.com/

I saw video of a smaller MMA show where a guy got hit with his whole body turning more than 90% (he did hit the ground) but he and his coach both said he was fine- no jaw or head injury at all. He was wearing one of these mouthpieces.

But whenever I seen guys in the UFC or Pride in the corner getting the mouthpiece taken out, I don't think Ive seen this type.

Tough to breathe with those I would think?

see em sometimes. for me.... i think they are a bit more comfy. i am the guy always gagging and spitting out my mouth piece. i hate em.  the one i used for a bit was softer than normal too. i liked it but i chewed it to shit in a few months and tossed it. prolly should of kept it. ANYTHING that keeps your jaw clenched will help prevent the surprise ko.

NorthFromHere - Tough to breathe with those I would think?

Don't see why it would be. A regular mouthpiece doesn't give you any more room to breath, because you're breathing through your clenched teeth anyway. Unless your mouth is open...which kind of ruins the point.

I've had the brain pad which is two sided and the shock dr.My new gladiator is 10 times better.Can't believe I wasted my money on the other 2.

Just my 2 cents

^ I'd think the hole would make it easier- I know some guys get their jaw broken when its hanging down because their gassed

I tried a full mouthpiece once but I have like a half-overbite so this style made my lower jaw stick out and I felt rocked even when just testing it out by punching myself mildly.

The top-only piece lets my jaw close more naturally and it feels better when I get hit.

I felt rocked even when just testing it out by punching myself mildly

lol

qoelet - 
NorthFromHere - Tough to breathe with those I would think?

Don't see why it would be. A regular mouthpiece doesn't give you any more room to breath, because you're breathing through your clenched teeth anyway. Unless your mouth is open...which kind of ruins the point.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I do find it a lot harder to breath and it's just too much crap in your mouth. If your jaw is clinched, I think either will work. If your mouth is open, I don't think a "double sided" mouthpiece is going to do much to keep your jaw in position.

I kinda had to switch to a double sided one (Brain Pad Pro Plus) because I got my nose smashed and can't breathe in through it very well.  The double one lets me keep my jaw clenched but still breathe in and out through my mouth. Unfortunately I got a tooth knocked partially out and will be switching to a custom one when I can start sparring again. FML.

Oi, d'ya think it'd help me gag reflex?

- Dave Faulkner

when i watched that i could totally relate to the faulkner guy. i freaking hate the mouthpiece. 9/10 times i end up spitting it out.

MountainMedic -  I felt rocked even when just testing it out by punching myself mildly

lol

LMAO!

I saw Matt Hughes use a double sided brianpad in one of my UFC DVD's it was 40 something maybe against Gil Castillo or BJ idr

~1

Brain pads suck! 

www.customguards.com  is the only way to go!

/thread

Maybe it's better for MMA instead of grappling/ wrestling or vice versa? I had someone tell me about his mouthpiece falling off his top teeth onto his tongue while almost caught in a choke or neckcrank in a fight and it made him gag worse

ttt

frederic - 
ITweakRashad'sNips - I kinda had to switch to a double sided one (Brain Pad Pro Plus) because I got my nose smashed and can't breathe in through it very well. The double one lets me keep my jaw clenched but still breathe in and out through my mouth. Unfortunately I got a tooth knocked partially out and will be switching to a custom one when I can start sparring again. FML.

This.

I don't breath through my nose all that well so when I needed more air midway through, I could breath through my mouth with less worry of getting knocked out or my jaw dislocated.

I couldn't keep it in for very long if I wasn't sparring for it messed with my gag reflex (sparring kept me distracted enough) which normal one sided ones have never done.

So you could spar if you have a cold with a stuffy nose

"So you could spar if you have a cold with a stuffy nose"

Sure, if you want to share your cold with your sparring partner. ;P