Types of GI's and which to buy?

uh the ichiban is $130 and the sleeves from what i hear are not super judo wide. hck's overpriced? the standard single is $70 and probably the best gi u can get for that price. golden weaves shrink a lot also

for $70 the padilla is a GREAT gi! not "movement restrictive" like some gi's i have tried. at first the TIGHT cut gi's seem great, then, after 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes, you are sweating up a storm, the gi is limiting your movements, and you have to work HARDER to move in it. i prefer a gi that does not restrict movements, even after hours of training. i have NOT seen a gi that even comes close for $70. i have tried several(not all companies), and this is the best i have found for the price(i am not saying there are not better gi's, but they cost 2x or 3x the price). i like them so much i am ordering two more(one for every day:) it would really be great if you could look at/try out several gi's that have been mentioned for a few days, compare quality to price, and pick the one that works BEST for YOU. if you are going to a school, check out other peoples gi's. most people will be glad to tell you about what they like and don't like about what they are training in. be carefull not to listen to just opinions from students that only have tried one or two gi's and have not trained very long. bottom line is, get what works best for you, don't buy based on "trends", "brands", "cool patches", "celebrity endorsments", etc. hope this helps ya....

I have a HCK double, its an awesome gi, but let me tell you Howard's saying is true, the thing is armour. It will stand up by itself for a while, hell I could use it as a grappling dummy at first. The collar hasn't broken down either, and I have seen some GIs that the collar breaks down really fast on. I also got to use a Kikskin competition, and it was really sweet also, but since I don't use one on a regular basis I couldn't honestly tell you how they are.

ttt :)

jiujitsu connection is currently producing puma and asics gi's for bjj. i'm gonna try the asics if it looks nice. should be done this summer

Some great info folks... thx. The web sites and personal experiences are great helps. I'm thinking though, it may be too much info, but please keep it coming.

I understand there will be a GI company at Kimono Kombat on Sunday? Can you buy a GI in a sports store like Herman's or Foot Locker?

i don't think footlocker but what is hermans?

Herman's is (I think) a NY based sports oriented franchise. I know there was one in Yonkers a few years back. I believe we have one here in the central PA area. I know we have a sports specific store, where you can order unique items not found in the normal sports department of other stores. I think this is a pricey place, however.

Joseph, I just ordered two gi's from Padilla & sons.
They were shipped out on Wednesday past. I ordered
a single and a double weave. Good price for $130
(together). I live in Canada, so I should receive
them by next Wed. Can't wait. I'll send a thread
through next week and let everyone know what I
think of them.

I like the GI joe....it has kung fu grip.

why not krugans? i have one and it isn't so bad.

Since I put on my ouano 2 years ago I have never had a need to try anything else. Durable and very affordable plus john is the type of guy who not only supports and defends our sport but gives back and that will always earn my money.

I agree w/ jjjkny... atama-kimonos are good. Cheap durable and great range of sizes... double weave is like a buck-30. Good shit.

TED BENNET sez: "You also say 'I can do more to alter your behavior with one small ablation needle than you could with 10 years of therapy.' Well, yes, of course brain lesions can have tremendous effects on mood, cognition, personality, etc., but please tell me what surgical techniques exist that cure, say, panic disorder, or OCD. Short of lobotomy, you can't, and that has rather nasty side effects."

UWE: I mention ablation only to point out that neurobiology offers specific localized focal points for human behavior, which can be modified or altered exogenously. Psychosurgery is still too blunt a tool at this point for most behavioral problems, but it does posess predictive capacity and reproducibility, halmarks of all solid science. And of course, you know that nobody performs lobotomies anymore, or at least the techniques used to transect frontal lobe afferants is so far removed from traditional lobotomy as to be unrecognizible. As far as OCD is concerned, even the American OCD Foundation admits, "Most people with OCD continued to suffer, despite years of ineffective psychotherapy."

TED BENNET sez: "And even with the efficacy of drugs, it's very easy to argue that therapy is better, since drugs don't fix the maladaptive behavior problems- e.g., if a wife is depressed because her husband beats her, should I just whack her out with some Depakote or Celexa and shut her up, or should I teach her how to break away and regain control of her life?"

UWE: Sounds like she needs a social worker, which is not surprsisng, because in its traitional form, psychology is essentially identical to social work. Maybe she should call the cops.

TED BENNET sez: "You say 'the field of psychology has to be considered a failure; it has no predictive ability.' Mmm-hhmmm. And since brazilian jujutsu can't stop bullets, all martial arts suck. This is a total straw man."

UWE: C'mon Ted, that anaology is as weak as Joe Son's ground-n-pound. All real science has both predictive ability and reproducibility. Physics, chemistry, molecular biology, botany, etc. Psychology does not meet this high standard, and thus is more akin to softer fields such as sociology.

TED BENNET sez: "You say 'everything psychologists had postulated about behavior is more easily and directly answered by neurochemistry' Hmm....is this why almost every Ph.D. program I know of now requires multiple classes in pharmacology, neuroanatomy, etc.? "

UWE: Then is appears that the graduate directors of your program realized at some point that their traditional way of approaching psychology was wholey inadequate to describe human behavior, and turned to the more scientifically rigorous fields of neurobiology, neuroanatomy, and psychopharmachology to avoid becoming a laughingstock. This isn't psychology in its truest sense any more than Bas Rutten is a kickboxer in the truest sense. He certainly began MMA that way, but soon realized his 'pure' kickboxing was inadequate, and cross-trained in submission. In fact, adding real, hard science to psychology esentially seeks to blur the line between psychology and psychiatry, at least at a clinical level.
[cont]

My Machado single weave is great---The pants are shrinking a little but I have had them for 6 months

Brett

Don't forget the OUANO GI's at www.ouano.com
They've been around for 3 years and have a very good following. Exceptional quality and unbeatable customer service. Almost all my freinds wear them.

mizunos are some of the best gis around for judo.
i dont like to roll in judo gis tho, i think the
other guys are better at wrapping me up with my
own gi than i am at doing it to them.

HCK is awesome. i love mines. my torah is OK.
my roomate has a krugans, atama and koral.
ive worn them all (yeah its kinda gross to wear
someones gi, but i washed them before and after)

i really like the HCK and Atamas doubles...
the koral is a good summer gi. i got to my friends
back and tried clock choking him , the atama and
HCK collars were so thick i felt like my fingers
were gonna rip off.

I still wont trade in my Kikskin competition Lite for anything! I love that Gi...It is the most comfortable by far that I own. I own HCK, Bad Boy, and Berzek. I got mine from 1-888-kikskin later

Bryan

JCM, i am in the anniston/oxford area(between atlanta and birmimgham off I20). i haven't trainen in a couple of years, so i am quite out of shape, and rusty. maybe if you are in the area you could look me up:)

koral just got in, imo sweet! 1 of my top choices by far.