Tyron Woodley names his toughest opponent ever

Tyron Woodley knocked out Robbie Lawler to win the UFC welterweight championship, and successfully defended it four times. He's fought a murderers' row of top fighters including Kamaru Usman, Colby Covington, Carlos Condit, and Rory MacDonald, but during a recent interview with Helen Yee, "The Chosen One" offered a surprising reply when asked about his hardest fight.

“The toughest opponent I’ve ever fought was a dude named Nathan Coy," replied Woodley. "He was actually a teammate of mine at American Top Team. The other guys I fought, I just did not perform, or I backed up too much. Or Marquardt, I was relaxed for one second too long on the cage and he threw me the elbow buffet.”

“But Nathan Coy, I was there. And I was a 100% and I was going hard and he was going hard. And I threw up so bad after this fight. I was like oh my god it was so hard…. And it was such a close fight, and I barely won it, but I was fighting as hard as I could and he was fighting as hard as he could. And he’s the only one that I’ve ever fought at the level that matched me. Anyone else I fought at 50% or more, I knocked out or beat or snapped them. When people are beating me, I am not remotely where I am supposed to be at.”

Woodley beat Coy via Split Decision at Strikeforce Challengers: Lindland vs. Casey on May 21, 2010, moving his record to 6-0.

https://youtu.be/R4U5cdYnj4c?t=236

Woodley also discussed training with Francis Ngannou.

“I was just in the gym with Ngannou, and he was working on some single leg,” began Woodley. “I grabbed his leg, and his strength and his power ... he don't really quite grasp how f***ing strong he is. He don't get it. He's like what if I do this to you (makes a face shoving motion). One, don't do that. Two, I don’t know what I would do, because I never felt nobody mush my face and make me feel like my nose is gonna break."

Ngannou's next fight is a title challenge rematch vs. heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic in the main event of UFC 260 on March 27. Woodley's next fight is vs. Vincent Luque, on the main card of the same show. Woodley is now on a three-fight losing streak. With a loss, he could be cut.

https://youtu.be/R4U5cdYnj4c?t=437

h/t Tom Taylor for BJPENN.com

So is he admitting he was only giving 50% in the last couple fights he lost? He said anyone he went over 50% with and fought as hard as he could he has beat. 

Nathan Coy is a tough dude.  He has wins over Rick Story and Dhiego Lima.

I thought for sure it would be rap. 

6 Likes

I can’t stand it when dudes name their toughest opponent ever, and turn it into a story of the time they needed to give 100% to win, and make it about how proud they were of themselves for pushing through it.

7 Likes

Luque vs Woodley should be a good fight. I think Woodley will come to perform especially with it being a 3 rounder.

Rickmassmma - I can't stand it when dudes name their toughest opponent ever, and turn it into a story of the time they needed to give 100% to win, and make it about how proud they were of themselves for pushing through it.

Yeah I get it. Hearing Woodley talk about this just makes me feel ehh 

Will be interested to see how he looks vs Luque though. It's a step down in competition but I'm not sure if Ty has the fighters mindset anymore 

“One, don't do that. Two, I don’t know what I would do, because I never felt nobody mush my face and make me feel like my nose is gonna break."

lol. Shut yo mouth Tyrone..

1 Like

Lol how did I know he was going to name someone he beat?

2 Likes

If he said Marty or someone, I'd respect that a lot more.  If I was 100% I would've just snapped him!  Sure...

2 Likes

Fighters will never give the true answer to this question. It happens time and time again. Any boxer, the hardest fight they had was never the guy who broke their face apart, it's always "There was this kid I fought back in the amateurs...."

Oscar De La Hoya's book was terrible for this exact reason. He goes into granular detail about his upbringing, amateur fights nobody gives a  fuck about, early pro fights that were padding his record. Then you get to his big megastar fights and he gives you like 2 paragraphs on Vargas, maybe 2 pages on Trinidad.....like WTF?

Taco Muncher -

I thought for sure it would be rap. 

Tyron Woodley has in fact not beat a single ass since releasing his hit single “I’ll beat yo ass”

Tyron Woodley made his rap debut with “I’ll beat yo ass” on September 14th 2018. Since then he has lost 15 straight rounds and not won a single fight.

![](upload://pygUD3leZJAUPPpZkqvDunZhyCs.jpeg)

2 Likes

70 % Hendricks vs 50 % Woodley is the fight to make.

1 Like

Everyone is these days

Woodley was already “old” going into the Usman Fight. After that fight he has been completely gun shy, cant pull the trigger and is just there. He should hang it up

Rickmassmma - I can't stand it when dudes name their toughest opponent ever, and turn it into a story of the time they needed to give 100% to win, and make it about how proud they were of themselves for pushing through it.

And then essentially run down everyone who beat them by saying that they just weren't on their game that day...

TKnuckles -

“One, don't do that. Two, I don’t know what I would do, because I never felt nobody mush my face and make me feel like my nose is gonna break."

lol. Shut yo mouth Tyrone..

Only fucking Tyron Woodley could turn a story about giving one opponent props into basically discrediting every other opponent who has beaten him. He is a truly small man. 

Gennady Goblin -

Fighters will never give the true answer to this question. It happens time and time again. Any boxer, the hardest fight they had was never the guy who broke their face apart, it's always "There was this kid I fought back in the amateurs...."

Oscar De La Hoya's book was terrible for this exact reason. He goes into granular detail about his upbringing, amateur fights nobody gives a  fuck about, early pro fights that were padding his record. Then you get to his big megastar fights and he gives you like 2 paragraphs on Vargas, maybe 2 pages on Trinidad.....like WTF?

Lol I’ve never read the book but I agree with you.