Tyson is training BJJ!

According to a contact from the Royce Gracie camp, Tyson supposedly has been training BJJ for a few months in Huntington Beach under Joe Morreira to prepare for his MMA debut.

Can anyone confirm or is this BS?

Real question is: Why ia he training with Joe Moreira?

Why not with Cesar Gracie, Royce Gracie or Carlson Gracie?

I´m not living in the states so I don´t really know, but I thought Joe Morreira had a good rep. Is it not so?

Joe Moreira has the reputation for being one of the best BJJ teachers in the world and has bread good teachers, too (Michael Jen and Roy Harris, f.ex.). He's also one of the few people that ALMOST won Rickson Gracie in a sport BJJ fight, i.e. he lost by a few points. So Joe is a good BJJ-er, even though he has focused less on MMA and takedowns.

Still, it's an interesting rumor. It sounds untrue, but hey, Tyson can try out BJJ just like anyone. It would be fun to roll with the guy ;)

didnt Royler beat Joe like 22-0

why would anyone bjj teacher want anything to do with it? i mean if he fails he fails, not a good showing for quick training..

Royler Gracie schooled Joe Moreira like 22-0 and then tapped Joe with an arm lock.

Go to ONTHEMAT.com to see it yourself. They havce the video.

"Joe Moreira has the reputation for being one of the best BJJ teachers in the world and has bread good teachers, too (Michael Jen and Roy Harris, f.ex.)."

I would not go and say that he has a reputation for being one of the best teachers. He is good and ok.

I think guys like Cesar Gracie, Carlos Gracie Jr. etc. who are able to produce many great BJJ champions be it Vale Tudo, abu dhabi or mundials of BJJ are the ones who should be called best teachers.

Roy Harris has extensive training history with other instructors too. He has trained with Gracies (and with Rickson too) and under JJ Machado. Gracies and Machado brotjers tought him his basic techniques.

Dunno about Mike Jen but I believe that he has also studied BJJ under various instructors.

"He's also one of the few people that ALMOST won Rickson Gracie in a sport BJJ fight, i.e. he lost by a few points."

That is simply put not true.

"So Joe is a good BJJ-er, even though he has focused less on MMA and takedowns."

Joe is a good BJJer, but he has focused on takedows. He actually travelled to Japan to study Judo under Isao Okano. Joe is Judo man who then became BJJ man. He is a bit more "Judo like" in his way of grappling.

"Still, it's an interesting rumor. It sounds untrue, but hey, Tyson can try out BJJ just like anyone. It would be fun to roll with the guy ;)"

Well Joe is not excatly king of Vale Tudo or king of vale Tudo training. Tyson should go with Carlson Gracie or BTT/ATT.

Go to ONTHEMAT.com and watch the video to see it for yourself.

Thanks for the rebuttal. I didn't find that video, however.

i heard joe trains with marco i dont know if
i have the info right but that is what i heard

Actually, Joe losing to Royler doesn't say much. Pretty much everyone and their mother loses to Royler.

If I remember correctly, Eddie Bravo's mom lost on
points.

Ya when Royler "tapped" him, Royler was was a brown belt....

Incidently, it was that very same tournament that Joe lost to Rickson by a single point. Rickson didnt submit him.

Now how does Joe go from losing by 22 points and being submitted by a smaller Royler to only losing one point to Rickson in the same competition.....?

Maybe its because his match with Royler was only exhibition/demonstration match. Some people should do their research before trying to stir some controversy.

WHO you train with LiquidTechnique ?
what belt are you ?

Liquid Technique, you are a stupid fuck!!!!!!!!

JOE is one of the best instructors on the planet. He is unbelievably technical.
go buy JOE MOREIRA'S TAPES AND TRY TO LEARN SOME REAL JIU JITSU.
you are a sucker!!!!!!!!! ahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

Yeah yeah... here comes the Gorilla crew... one can not be more controversial that the Gorilla crew...

I already wrote that Joe is good and OK, but he just is not one of the best instructors in the world for VALE TUDO or MMA

Now do you agree with me or not? If not then please explain to me how he is better BJJ instructor for MMA and Vale Tudo than Carlson Gracie, Cesar Gracie, American Top Team or guys at Brazilian Top Team. These guys I meantioned have produced numerous champions at highest competitive level.

and

"Incidently, it was that very same tournament that Joe lost to Rickson by a single point."

That never happened. End of BS.

I am faixa roxa under Master Jiu-Jitsu. You are a gorilla black belt. If you are such a tough guy why do you not put your belt on the line and compete in next BJJ mundials like I am going to do and as I have already done before too.

Put up or shut up! That is your choice.

Sincerely,

Liquid_Technique

Oh and BTW. I know that you compete at local grappling tournaments. More power to you! That is just great. Just take your belt and step to the next level - highest level there is.

or are you full of BS too?

"Maybe its because his match with Royler was only exhibition/demonstration match. Some people should do their research before trying to stir some controversy."

Biggy-g has just bitch-slapped everyone with the correct!

As far as who Tyson should learn from, what does it matter? He is not a "thinking" fighter - he always was and always will be a "brawling" type of fighter. His strength is his power. All he needs to learn is how to stay off/get off his back, and he'll do respectably well. I'm not talking UFC or Pride HW champ here, but certainly top 20 HW fighters. Tyson would obviously be best suited to keeping things standing, where he has YEARS of experience knocking people the f**k out. He'll NEVER be a "guard" player. And like Fedor, he hits hard enough to not have to pass your guard to hurt you on the ground. He doesn't need to learn the "entire" MMA game - just how to stay off his back!!

My .02

""Incidently, it was that very same tournament that Joe lost to Rickson by a single point."

That never happened. End of BS."

A student of Joe Moreira who frequently comes to this forum and many people respect was the one who confirmed this.

It comes to the point now where some people just DONT WANT to be wrong for the risk of being embarrased for opening their mouths. No wonder so many of the judo competitors of this forum despise you.

""Maybe its because his match with Royler was only exhibition/demonstration match. Some people should do their research before trying to stir some controversy." "

Yeah and according to Royler and people who were present that match was not an exhibition match.

Look at first Joe Moreira denied COMPLETELY that match never happened.

So Joe claimed that he has never ever sparre, rolled or fough against Royler Gracie be it in a real match or just exhibition match.

OK NEXT: www.onthemat.com crew comes out with a video clip of a match between Royler Gracie and Joe Moreira.
In that match Royler outpoints Joe with a huge margin (something like 22-0) and then taps Joe with arm bar.

After the clip becomes public Joe suddenly changes his story and now all of sudden admits that he has fought against Royler but that particular match was just an exhibition match.

Joe lied about and got caught. Then he offered bunch of excuses instead of just admitting that Royler schooled him(so what it was Royler and some average guy).

So who is full of BS? Look like Joe "the gorilla" Moreira. Live with that - trolls!

"""Incidently, it was that very same tournament that Joe lost to Rickson by a single point."
That never happened. End of BS."

A student of Joe Moreira who frequently comes to this forum and many people respect was the one who confirmed this.
"

OHHHHH a student of JOE friggin Moreira confirmed this. And I suppose he heard that from Joe himself.

LOL! You have been trolled by Joe Moreira and by this particular student of his.

Talk about unbiased source.

First Joe says he has never ever fought against Royler be it a real match or just an exhibition match.

Then after the video clip of him fighting against Royler in a BJJ match comes out Joe changes his story.

Now he admits that he has indeed fought against Royler, but that match was just an exhibition match.

People ask Royler and other persons who were present. They all say it was a regular BJJ match and not some exhibition match.

OK after that comes out Joe chages his story again. Now he supposely fought against Rickson just before Royler, was tired etc. and lost only by one point to Rickson.

please...

LOL

"Yeah and according to Royler and people who were present that match was not an exhibition match.

"Look at first Joe Moreira denied COMPLETELY that match never happened."

It must have have been quite a while back since he was denying (if at all) that match as people have known of that match and seen video of it for years. And Joe still had that match with Rickson and ADMITTED his loss to him in that same tourny saying that when Rickson got on top he was unable to get out from underneath him. So why would Joe lie about one match and admit another? And it still makes no sense as to how he would get killed by Royler and yet lose only marginally to a bigger Rickson.