Tyson shows Brian Urlacher how to punch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68M_D91K11I

Didn't Bert Sugar say Urlacher and Ray Lewis would be America's top HW's if they weren't playing in the NFL?

He was hurting his hand every time he punched because he didn't know where to put his thumb....

Is he in training for Bas?

Football has a better compensation plan.

Cheers Martin

Yeah I have heard how tiny Tyson is in person. People dont seem to hold his size against him like they do the older guys. You cant tell me Tyson has a bigger frame than Dempsey and Louis.

ShamusO'nyou - Didn't Bert Sugar say Urlacher and Ray Lewis would be America's top HW's if they weren't playing in the NFL?

He was right to a certain extent.

If the NFL (and to a lesser extent the NBA) wasn't around then many of those tough, aggressive, athletic big men might have gravitated to boxing as kids.

Some of them could I am sure, but this guy couldn't even make a proper fist. He must never have been in a fight his whole life.

A little girl wouldn't make the mistake of placing the thumb where he did.

I have seen bigger stronger sportier types get bullied and beat up by scrawny thuggish types. Being big and strong are not guarantees you will have a fighters mentality and I think that is harder to improve than technique.

He did not exactly show him "how".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuERSRNKZXM

e. kaye - 

He did not exactly show him "how".

I suppose he didn't break down every little detail.

How would you describe the video?

ShamusO'nyou - Some of them could I am sure, but this guy couldn't even make a proper fist. He must never have been in a fight his whole life.

A little girl wouldn't make the mistake of placing the thumb where he did.

I have seen bigger stronger sportier types get bullied and beat up by scrawny thuggish types. Being big and strong are not guarantees you will have a fighters mentality and I think that is harder to improve than technique.

You're confusing athletic potential and genetic predisposition with actual boxing training. Phone Post 3.0

Please explain

There are lots of 'athletes' who aren't fighters and never will be. There are lot of good fighters who aren't good natural athletes. Being an athlete helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything in boxing.

The difference between the fight game and any other sport is "gameness". And thats not decided by athletic ability

Not every guy in the NFL would be a 'game' fighter, but the odds are that at least a few of them would be 'game.'

There are 32 teams, each with a 53 man active roster plus a few guys on the practice squad. Not every guy would be a heavyweight, but there are well over 1000 extremely athletic guys who play a sport that involves knocking other extremely athletic guys to the ground. Like boxers, football players (especially on the defensive side of the ball) attempt to impose their will on an actively resisting opponent.

Additionally, part of the NFL's concussion problem is the warrior mentality. The league is actually changing the rules because there were too many head shots. You can't tell me that there isn't at least one or two linebackers or safeties that aren't 'game.' They are great athletes. Many of them grew up poor without a lot of options. If they had went into boxing instead of football, they'd be great fighters.

Im sure there are a few guys on the NFL roster that have "gameness" so i dont disagree with that argument. However football as a sport does not require gameness. Boxing does

You can get hit hard in football and stay down. Nobody will think any less of you, there are a bunch of guys ready to jump in to replace you. You get beat down in boxing, you are still expected to go the other 11 rounds and still try and win the fight

Hell Urlacher admitted they used to fake injuries while playing for the Bears. Guys like that dont go far in boxing because the sport exposes them fairly quickly

Some would just based on numbers and it is a physical sport, but finding out who is a fighter or game can often be surprising. It is not very easy to predict and I dont believe there is any correlation between 40 yd times and gameness.

Urlacher is a physical player and he had no idea how to throw a punch without hurting himself. Yes he can be taught but I have to question the mentality of someone who doesn't naturally know how to make a fist. My wife is a small woman who wouldnt hurt a fly and has never hit anyone. I ask her to make a fist and she knows how .

Terrel Suggs is a physical player but watch him hit the heavy bag and he doesn't seem so intimidating. Just becuase they are big tough guys people assume they would be natural at this stuff, but they aren't.

Brock Lesnar trained boxing and his striking became less efficient. But you might get a ballet dancer or an accountant who picks it up quickly. You can never tell.

Crashing into someone in a team sport where after you hit its over is extremely tough on the body but its not the same as fighting someone and all that it entails. On average the NFL is probably more dangerous to your body, but I dont think any sport can induce more fear in an individual than one on one combat.

I was just saying if these individuals started training boxing instead of football at a young age we would see a difference, not that NFL players can be great boxers. Phone Post 3.0

Lol. Isn't Urlacher the guy that tried to start shit with Bas Rutten at a party? Then major dick tucked once he found out who he was. Phone Post 3.0

If a guy is constantly getting replaced, he won't get a big contract and might get cut from the team. Why do you think so many guys are completely willing to play with concussions? Allegedly, some guys intentionally screw up the baseline test so that if they get their bell rung, the doctors don't know they have a concussion. I can't speak for you, but that seems game to me.

Defensive players fake injuries to slow the game down, not because they are mentally soft. It's like soccer players falling down in the penalty area. They aren't soft, they're trying to win, much like a boxer who occasionally clinches.

Why isn't anyone questioning Ray Lewis' gameness?