Uber-esque App for Doctor House Calls

Dr. Drew is rolling out "Heal," an app for old-school doctor house calls with a $100 flat rate.

I believe it's just for general issues like your kids having the flu, but what happens when this expands? We saw the battle Uber went through battling cab companies.

If someone tries to take down the insanely corrupt medical insurance industry, it will be a fucking litigation bloodbath like we've never seen. Their red tape is intertwined with the federal government's.

I'm certainly not an expert on the matter - Is it possible for the free market to disrupt or destroy the medical industry?

It's not a bad idea, but if people still need to pay the thousands $$$/year for the insurance and not be really use it will be an issue.

I like 

hopefully it takes off like gangbusters and offers another competitive mode of patient care against the major hospital & health-insurance industrial complex 

I never understood why house call Drs stopped considering people have become increasingly lazier every decade.

I wonder how long they will stay at your home before they charge more.

It would be awesome if they did lab work also.

I used one where you video chat with a doctor, It was nice.

lol @ dr's driving around to houses for $100. you might get a nurse practioner for that

I'll only do it if the doctor from Deadwood shows up.

Never_rolled - 

This has nothing to do with putting insurance companies out of business. It will be handled like any other visit. Tele-medicine is nothing new either. 

I'm not saying this app will do that. You have to look further ahead.

It's an out of pocket medical system. There are already clinics/surgical centers that offer affordable and up-front costs, all out of pocket - circumventing insurance completely.

If a well regulated system is devised which offers private medical services nationally, with controlled payment plan systems, the insurance companies will have a major problem.

Uber killed taxi services in a year and that was a service we didn't even know we wanted. Everyone hates medical insurance companies and will gladly do away with them.

concierge medicine the dream!

That app will be full of dr. Nick Rivearas ala the Simpsons.

I've ordered in 6 rectal exams so far this week

Never_rolled -
Onikage -
Never_rolled - 

This has nothing to do with putting insurance companies out of business. It will be handled like any other visit. Tele-medicine is nothing new either. 

I'm not saying this app will do that. You have to look further ahead.

It's an out of pocket medical system. There are already clinics/surgical centers that offer affordable and up-front costs, all out of pocket - circumventing insurance completely.

If a well regulated system is devised which offers private medical services nationally, with controlled payment plan systems, the insurance companies will have a major problem.

Uber killed taxi services in a year and that was a service we didn't even know we wanted. Everyone hates medical insurance companies and will gladly do away with them.

But the doc in the box places take insurance. People are still going to need insurance for major medical issues. Your premise isn’t correct. Comparing Uber and taxis to this is apples and oranges.

I'm not talking about doc in the box.

A few centers are completely circumventing insurance. If that model spreads how would it not hurt the industry? 

TzTinkle - lol @ dr's driving around to houses for $100. you might get a nurse practioner for that

Not mine...

It's a good idea, but at $100 it's just not cost effective.

Chango