UC Merced Jiu-Jitsu Tournament

I will be helping The UC Merced Martial Arts club host the Jiu-Jitsu portion of the University Martial Arts Championships on SATURDAY, OCTOBER 25th. The tournament will be held at:
UC Merced Gymnasium
5200 N. Lake Road
Merced, CA 95343.

The competition begins at 10:00 AM. The rules are as follows:

Competitors must weigh in at the time of registration. All competitors must show up at weigh-ins with their uniform on. The competitor must wear a belt and a clean, proper fitting, traditional Jiu-Jitsu Gi.

The following will not be permitted- Slamming, knee bars, heel hooks, neck cranks, calf/bicep crush, cervical locks, toe holds, or small joint manipulation. Any violation of the rules will result in immediate disqualification. Disrespectful gestures or verbal abuse will also result in disqualification.

For beginner and intermediate divisions, the following will be allowed-straight ankle locks and wrist locks.

Match times will be as follows- Kids 4 minutes, White Belts 5 Minutes, Blue Belts 6 minutes.

Points will be awarded as follows: 2 point takedown, 3 point passing the guard, 2 points knee on belly, 2 points sweep from guard, 4 point mount, 4 point rear mount. NO ADVANTAGE POINTS.

Weight classes will be as follows:
125 and under
126-145
146-165
166-185
186-205
206-225
226 and over.

There will also be an absolute division for white and blue belts.

$25 per competitor. $35 for absolute and regular divisions. For more information, contact:

Tosh Cook, rgjjoffresno@yahoo.com (559)322-4084 or Chris Abrescy, cabrescy@ucmerced.edu (209)617-1684.

SUPPORT JIU-JITSU!!!!

No upper belt divisions? Also, when is this being held?

Since this was the first jiu-jitsu tournament at UC Merced, we were not sure if we would have enough interest in the upper belt divisions. I think I was wrong, as there a lot of people asking the same question. We will probably start by scheduling some superfights and se what develops from there...

(Original post edited for date, thanks)