Uchi-Gari

I had my first week of Judo classes last week and this week so far. I can get Oso-gari, but Uchi-Gari gives me trouble. I am 6'4 250lbs and it is hard for me to get my leg inside for the sweep. Can anyone post some help and other sweeps that I can try. I am not looking to compete, just looking to be able to get anyone to the ground.

Dracul

Hey Dracul,

By chance, are you from Southern California? I had a friend that had the same alias on another message board.

Just Curious

Judodog

Kosoto/deashi-barai

where are your arms? if they're straight and pushing your opponent away as you enter for ouchi-gari, that's possbily a reason you can't get the throw to work. a very common problem. check your hand position, my intuitive guess that's a prob.

Sticky foot kosoto gari is easy.

Ask the question AFTER you've been training for six
months. With just one week of training, you
shouldn't be concerned with this. It will take
several months of diligent practice to get proficient
at throws.

Are you speaking about randori, as the other replys
suggest, or just nage-waza?
If it has really only taken one week to become
adept at Osoto in randori, consider yourself very
lucky and amazing. The USA Olympic Team can
use you in the +100kg. position.

Well, I can get Osoto Gari on the people I spar with, not sure if it is because I have done some MMA before and I just tied it to a trip/sweep from the underhook position. O-Uchi Gari is harder cause my legs are so damn big and I am taller than everyone at my school. I just wanted to see if there were any tricks or pointers anyone could give.

Dracul

Dracul,

There are alot of great experts here on the forum, but I'll add my two cents on how you can develop an arsenal.

Since you have Osoto-Gari as your main rear throw its almost redundant to develop Ouchi-Gari until you have something to compliment your Osoto-Gari, i.e. a forward throw. People will be looking for it now right so why don't you come in as if you are looking for your Osoto and just turn out for a Harai-Goshi? (Assuming you have a high grip)

The thing you might want to remember is to make them really think you're going for the Osoto, that way you get the most favorable reaction. Also attack as soon as you get the grip. Its a good habit to get into.

Since you're tall you probably won't have too much trouble getting your high grip one most people your level.

"Since you have Osoto-Gari as your main rear throw its almost redundant to develop Ouchi-Gari until you have something to compliment your Osoto-Gari, i.e. a forward throw. "

Ouchi GAri works well with Osoto, but working on a forward throw would be good too.

Ben R.