UFC 102 far from sold out; economy, taxes problema

Brigham - 
Pain4Blood2 - well, hopefully the ppv is a success.

Holding 2 PPV's at $50+ a pop in the same month is going to make this PPV not a success. People just aren't willing to shell out the cash for 2 PPV's in a month.

I still laugh at anyone who pays full price for PPV events. Do these people we're talking about just not have friends? No relatives? Nobody they know that can divy up the cost and make a night out of it? Are MMA fans really that lonely and antisocial?

I am originally from portland (haven't lived there in 10 years) but what my friends tell me is that it is so depressed up there... every man for himself, like THUNDERDOME. add the shitty weather 10 months a year.. that place is hurting.

UFC 60 at Staples Center in LA wasn't selling well. When they went on sale, I paid $800 each for great tickets. By the time of the fight, they were only $400 each for the same section. That sucked.

For this Portland event, they may adjust prices at TicketMaster.

Nostradumbass - UFC 60 at Staples Center in LA wasn't selling well. When they went on sale, I paid $800 each for great tickets. By the time of the fight, they were only $400 each for the same section. That sucked.

For this Portland event, they may adjust prices at TicketMaster.

you could have gotten in for 10

Tomato Can - It's a good card. Not a great card, but a good card. The main event would have been better 2 years ago but Maia/Marquardt is pretty much main-event caliber for hardcore fans which I think makes up for it. Jardine/Silva is a very good undercard fight as well.

Really the only lame fight is Leben/Rosholt, which has been bafflingly put on the main card in place of the more interesting Gonzaga/Tuchscherer.

LOL....this card is Maia vs. Marquardt, a fun legacy fight in Couture vs. Nogueira, and that's about it.  Calling Gonzaga/Tuchscherer main card material for a $50 PPV should tell you there's a problem.

2 legends of the game that are still it title range

2 of the greatest bjj guys to ever compete in mma.

2 matches that will dictate who may get a title fight next.

a few matches that guys will come out and bang...

any time a show hits a state for the first time the crowd is just awesome...

i guess you are just not that big of a fan if you think this card is weak...

Mad Xyientist - 
Tomato Can - It's a good card. Not a great card, but a good card. The main event would have been better 2 years ago but Maia/Marquardt is pretty much main-event caliber for hardcore fans which I think makes up for it. Jardine/Silva is a very good undercard fight as well.

Really the only lame fight is Leben/Rosholt, which has been bafflingly put on the main card in place of the more interesting Gonzaga/Tuchscherer.

LOL....this card is Maia vs. Marquardt, a fun legacy fight in Couture vs. Nogueira, and that's about it.  Calling Gonzaga/Tuchscherer main card material for a $50 PPV should tell you there's a problem.

The top 2 fights alone are enough to make the card average. Jardine/Silva pushes it into "slightly above average" territory. Nobody's saying Gonzaga/Tuchscherer would be a primary reason to buy this one, although I think it's an interesting HW fight.

"the rising cost of state services" This is the #1 problem in every state. States have to do what we citizens have to do, live within our means. I don't really see the issue, if their not selling enough tickets, lower the price! With the frequent ppv's the ufc may decide they make more profit from 2 500k buy ppv's than one 700k one. Hopefully Nog isen't done and Randy can continue to beat the ageing process for a while longer and we get a great main event. Otherwise this card looks shakey. Marquart looks too big, strong and well rounded for Maia, i think could be a one sided beatdown. I think Gonzaga is main card material, he's had some tuff loses but has the tools to beat most of the HW division.

Wontsubmit -  Well I would say you have it all wrong, Zuffa's pay scale for guys like couture are based off of PPV sales. Randy has made (what) 250,000 plus maybe $2 per pay perview? Maybe $3 per pay per view?

What is 12% of 1.5 million gate vs 16% of a 4 million dollar gate? Where do they lose more money?

My point is that they make a big deal of the taxes when in fact most shows the UFC holds have more taxation. This article is full of shit.
The gate tax in Nevada is only 4%.

Brian123 - Need to hury up and get MMA sanctioned in Ontario. It would sell out the Sky Dome at 60k people.
Brian123 - Need to hury up and get MMA sanctioned in Ontario. It would sell out the Sky Dome at 60k people.

blah blah blah...how about a shitty card?

well that's pretty lame.....good thing i got my tickets since it sounds like they won't be coming back here for a long time.

I still laugh at anyone who pays full price for PPV events. Do these people we're talking about just not have friends? No relatives? Nobody they know that can divy up the cost and make a night out of it? Are MMA fans really that lonely and antisocial?

I got friends, none of them are MMA fans though. :( I usually end up at a bar watching since I'm not paying the PPV price all by myself.

It's a crappy card. Both Couture and Noguiera looked like shit in their last fights and nobody cares who wins since neither has a chance against Brock anyway. Why their fight was made the main event is beyond me. They are legends sure, but are so passed their prime it doesn't matter.

The card is quite good; it's just tough for a lot of fans to shell out for 2 PPV's the same month.

I'll be on a trip, so this will be a Hooter's fight night.

Uh, it's fucking OREGON.

dimesnake - I am originally from portland (haven't lived there in 10 years) but what my friends tell me is that it is so depressed up there... every man for himself, like THUNDERDOME. add the shitty weather 10 months a year.. that place is hurting.

Shit, I just moved back from SF and it's way more vibrant here than SF. Lots of young folk, creativity and energy in the air. The economy on the other hand, I think the unemployment rate is 11% in the state!

sorry keith, did it used to be higher? For what ever reason when I was looking at state sanctioning fees I seem to remember Nevada as one of the highest. That was years ago. My bad!!!! lol. I got smacked

its a shitty card, that is why nobody is buying tickets