UFC 103 Prelim Special: 1 hour, commercial free

I thought this deserved its own thread since certain people appeared to be under the impression that the UFC 103 Prelim Special, scheduled to air on Spike TV prior to the PPV portion of the event, would air all of the preliminary fights.

The Prelim Special will be a one-hour, commercial free broadcast centered around the Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller matchup. The other fight that is confirmed to air on the Prelim Special is Drew McFedries vs. Tomasz Drwal.

The reports that surfaced initially that were speculating about the UFC 103 Prelim Special being a 2-hour broadcast were incorrect.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/10352/

Better than nothing =)

This situation is testing my cheapness big time. Generally I'm pretty frugal but I'm seriously considering dropping the $100 necessary to buy both cards and then just record one on my DVR and watch it after the other is finished.

cool...hopefully this becomes a regular thing for them

If their goal is to air exciting fights on the Prelim Special to help influence last-minute impulse buys from casual fans, I think it'd be a good move to air Paul Daley's UFC debut fight against Brian Foster.

There's definitely room for 3 fights in a 1 hour, commercial free telecast. The McFedries/Drwal matchup probably won't last longer than one round.

Heartbroken Lee -  Good move, UFC. Good move.
Fugazi - 
Heartbroken Lee -  Good move, UFC. Good move.

"There's definitely room for 3 fights in a 1 hour, commercial free telecast."

Not really. UFC PPVs are 3 hours long and probably average about 6 fights per broadcast. It's pretty rare that you see 9 fights in a 3 hour PPV. You get that maybe once a year if you're lucky.

thats awesome. Wish they wouls show all the prelims and do it for every ufc

Hell, I'd be satisfied with seeing all the prelims even a week later on spike.

Tomato Can - "There's definitely room for 3 fights in a 1 hour, commercial free telecast."

Not really. UFC PPVs are 3 hours long and probably average about 6 fights per broadcast. It's pretty rare that you see 9 fights in a 3 hour PPV. You get that maybe once a year if you're lucky.

My comment was largely based on the probability of McFedries vs. Drwal ending at some point during the 1st round. If it doesn't end that early, then you're right, there's only room for 2 fights in a 1 hour telecast.

Win, lose or draw, every one of McFedries' last 9 fights has ended in the first round.

It's possible, but even a short fight takes up a lot more time than you think. Even if it ends in only 3 minutes, it probably takes up a good 15-20 minutes of the telecast when you add in all the interviews, introductions, Goldberg and Rogan's jabbering, and so on.

i want to see SEMTEX!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomato Can - It's possible, but even a short fight takes up a lot more time than you think. Even if it ends in only 3 minutes, it probably takes up a good 15-20 minutes of the telecast when you add in all the interviews, introductions, Goldberg and Rogan's jabbering, and so on.

I see your point, I wasn't expecting them to show the fighters entrances and include all of the additional fluff but when you take that into account, there's no way they'd get more than 2 on a telecast.

I was assuming they'd opt to go with skipping the entrances and just showing the fights (commercial free) with a quick post-fight interview if necessary, which is what they've done for UFC Fight Nights.

They could also include some highlights from other prelim fights that already took place from earlier in the event if there are early stoppages. They're going to be hyping the PPV at every possible opportunity as well with video packages and announcer discussion.

wow

"I was assuming they'd opt to go with skipping the entrances and just showing the fights (commercial free) with a quick post-fight interview if necessary, which is what they've done for UFC Fight Nights."

The thing is, when they skip all the entrances and whatnot on UFC Fight Night broadcasts, don't they do that during the commercial breaks? I would figure they can't do it commercial free.

JimmersonzGlove -  Commercial free? Even the PPVs aren't commercial free.

hahahaha

True, but watching Joe Rogan squirm as he sits between two DEA agents as he interviews them for next season's show is worth the PPV by itself.

Zedlepln - 
True, but watching Joe Rogan squirm as he sits between two DEA agents as he interviews them for next season's show is worth the PPV by itself.

Oh that was awesome that night. LOL