UFC 222 PPV Did 210k To 260,000 Buys

stanneh - hmmn Who's buying these events?

this

I consider myself a hardcore fan, and I probable bought about 50 ppvs (chri$t!), but there is no way I woulda paid for that card. 

So yeah seriously who are these people?

zackthewop -
commonsense517 -

Sigh

Ok let me get this part out of the way. It’s a good number. In fact had this number come out for any other woman (besides Holm) it would a sign of how well women can draw post Ronda. To Cyborg’s benefit it puts her ahead of Mighty Mouse and Amanda nunes in terms of drawing so this should shut DJ up a bit and Amanda for saying how she isn’t pushed and that why she doesn’t draw. Lord know no one knew who cyborgs opponent was. 

That being sad this does nothing for cyborg and her fans who cry that she’s a draw and that mainstream media and the ufc should treat her as a star. There are qualifiers to arguements about drawing with comparing the rest of the card, the weekend comp and etc, but even Ronda’s lowest performing show (which was weeks after she had just fought and roughly around the same time of year this one was) did 340k. Now before people throw out DC was on that card: that fight fell apart days before the event. And Ronda’s last two fight before the lost to Holm had ZERO underneath it and she fought girls that haven’t put together wins streaks: those shows did 650 and 900k respectively. 

UFC did a good job promoting this show the weekend before especially with Ortega vs Edgar. That fight and Cat were the Reasons I bought the show. To me the number says that cyborg will bring you a respectable number to matter what and a good number against a name but a card she’s headlining unless it’s ufc 217, 205, 200 level stacked is not getting you 500k

I don't see people comparing her popularity to Ronda so if you put that aside she just drew solid numbers.  She fought someone who has never fought in the ufc and someone who even hardcore fans don't know of on a last minute replacement.  The ufc didn't have time to really promote this card appropriately and add that to the fact the undercard (besides the co main) was pretty damn weak.

Very solid numbers

I stated it was a good number tho...

Probably most sports bars 

zackthewop -

Cyborg is no joke.  These are not amazing numbers but nobody even knew who her opponent was and they still tuned in.  

This is above your average PPV. Last minute replacement, no promotion... Cyborg can draw many fans.

And, yes, that’s more than Holly vs De Randamie.

Without their super stars, Cyborg is one of the biggest draws now.

scrapdo -

Do people really believe that fans #1 reason for buying that card was Cyborg and not Edgar/Ortega? 

Yes.

She had solid numbers vs Lina Lansberg and vs Holly.  Some carda headlined by Edgar as main event didn’t sell as much. Example: Edgar vs Henderson II and Edgar vs Maynard II and III.

Looks like t city is a drawl in the developmental stage 

Not one person I know that's for sure.

ufc98newb - 
FrontBroRian -
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

Just goes to show us that literally no card will be able to draw less than a Mighty Mouse card

Except when TJ Dillishaw headlines as champ?

But oh ya you guys like him better so you don’t whine about him being a terrible draw

i don’t think those guys should be able to piggy back off a big number card, but they should get at least a flat fee of a million, or something like that. Even if its not a huge seller, it is important for the legitimization of those belts, and the sport in general. 

UFC for what ever reason has seemingly no interest legitimizing the belts. Every chance they get they attempt to delegitimize their championship with interim belts, with belts around the waist of “champions” where no single competitor exists in the division, with contenders challenging despite being on losing streaks, etc.

The above said, great numbers for Cyborg. I didn’t bother to tune in not even for free at the bar I usually attend for the fights. And once i heard Frankie was KO’d I didn’t even want to watch. I figured 130k or so, but kudos to Cyborg and I’ve got to believe the Frankie/Ortega bout brought in some buys as well.

Now as for UFC, they continue to suck. 250k or so buys for a PPV? Just skip it altogether and combine the next two for a 500k event. Load it up. They make more money, less expense and we get a better product. Wishful thinking.

It turned out to be an entertaining card. I was surprised as it was better than I thought. Crazy to think a card getting 200k buys 2 years ago would be considered a huge failure 

260 K. Cyborg can sell.

JustAnotherMMAFan -

Wow im suprised, most of those cards were vastly superior to this last ppv. This should trigger the Cyborg haters on here.

jpm995 -
JustAnotherMMAFan -

Wow im suprised, most of those cards were vastly superior to this last ppv. This should trigger the Cyborg haters on here.

To make matters worse, her UFC 219 card sold 380 K. 

This time, she fought someone not even hardcore fans knew. The fight was announced three weeks before the card. There was no promotion (UFC 219 was lacking as well). 

With proper promotion and a legit opponent (say, Nunes), Cyborg can double this number.

Like her or not, she draws a lot of press and attention.

Maybe wmma could be a Brazil only thing. Not a lot of 65$ PPV buyers in us seem to like it much. Cyborg could main, and steroid-free Gaby Garcia could co-main vs a 70yo blind nun.

I'm convinced that no one in US likes the idea of paying ppv$ for women's MMA outside of a few limited fights.

zackthewop - 

Cyborg is no joke.  These are not amazing numbers but nobody even knew who her opponent was and they still tuned in.  

I didn’t buy it for Cyborg…

In fact I almost turned it off when her fight came. Absolutely no interest in watching her fight people vastly inferior physically and skill-wise.

mikethecricket - 

this

I consider myself a hardcore fan, and I probable bought about 50 ppvs (chri$t!), but there is no way I woulda paid for that card. 

So yeah seriously who are these people?

If you not a broke ass, its really not alot of money.

Its not like dropping 1k in the club on bottles or something…

choadler - 

Maybe wmma could be a Brazil only thing. Not a lot of 65$ PPV buyers in us seem to like it much. Cyborg could main, and steroid-free Gaby Garcia could co-main vs a 70yo blind nun.

I'm convinced that no one in US likes the idea of paying ppv$ for women's MMA outside of a few limited fights.

PPV is supposed to be a out mega event, must see television. UFC has made it where they predetermine a PPV is going to happen so they’re stuck having to put something together that doesn’t exist organically much of the time. And to boot, they generally suck at promoting their events and at really putting together great excitement and compelling must see relevant bouts.

If your 6 year old daughter comes to my door selling cookies, I’m going to buy them. Even if I don’t plan on eating a single cookie.

If your 8 year old little boy is in a haunted house and pre selling tickets, I’m going to buy 4 or 5, even if I don’t attend.

If there’s a weekend car wash pre sale tickets and anyone under 17 shows up to my door selling them, I’ll but $20 or so worth, even though I have a detail guy who shows up the parking lot at work and washes the cars there.

What’s consistent in those 3 above examples? They’re trying. They genuinely are giving you their best and they’re offering a fair price. They advertise right to me as well, made sure I’d be aware of it. UFC billion dollar company often times does less in terms of effort per event than these little kids do. Hell no they can’t have my money and I don’t blame anyone else who has had it with their bullshit.

BRZ -

Probably most sports bars 

This- bars, pubs 

Pedro Navaja -
zackthewop - 

I didn’t buy it for Cyborg…

In fact I almost turned it off when her fight came. Absolutely no interest in watching her fight people vastly inferior physically and skill-wise.

Respect you bought the Ppv and same here. I just turned it off after Edgar and went about my day

Cyborg just has that "oh shit" factor that not many fighters have.  I watched her Evinger and Holm fights in bars, and people were shouting every time she landed something big.  WME/IMG/UFC need to take advantage of that.  She won't be a Ronda or Conor, but she's definitely one of the best potential draws they have.