UFC 40: Ken Shamrock Vs Tito Ortiz

Same idea as the Royce/Hughes UFC 60 thread.

What was everyone’s thoughts going into Ken Vs Tito at UFC 40.

I thought we would see the Ken that fought Don Frye would turn up - that was an awesome fight.

Ken weighed 212lbs for that fight and that’s a pretty easy cut to 205.

I believe Ken came in around 202lbs.

![](upload://k7wRsWmjabNBvNca96LbTHQCKf8.jpeg)

Ken Vs Don was a brilliant fight.

![](upload://szWOuTriDwZwG3jUkyR32Mhv1zB.jpeg)

I was rooting for Ken but once I saw he fucked up the weight cut and I saw Tito warming up before the fight I knew Ken was in for a rough night.

![](upload://3xm3nSexr5xYA9rkERRWbIiVton.jpeg)

Ken actually came in at 201lbs.

https://youtu.be/8A7OYQWAoxg

I wanted Ken to win because I couldn't stand tito back then, but I knew it was a long shot.  Ken was way old at that time and I believe news broke shortly before that he had injured his knee training for the fight, so the odds were definitely stacked. 

Ken had a torn ACL and was also carrying a pretty serious neck injury.

I drank the flavor aid for Ken but I should have known better.

Over the course of the 3 fights it became clear that the outcome was never in jeopardy.

What blew my mind was Tito FORKLIFTING Ken off the ground with double underhoods UNCLASPED HANDS.

Never seen that before or since.

2 Likes

I was there and it was such an amazing environment. Everyone was on their feet the whole time. I expected Tito to rag doll him and submit him. I always thought Ken was overrated and Tito was at his peak. 

1 Like
Fabes -

I was there and it was such an amazing environment. Everyone was on their feet the whole time. I expected Tito to rag doll him and submit him. I always thought Ken was overrated and Tito was at his peak. 

UFC 40 doesn’t get the credit it deserves in regards to being the first huge event under Zuffa. UFC 40 really got the ball rolling.

1 Like

That was an amazing show. Lawler almost killed Tiki. Chuck KO'd Babalu. It was such a stacked card. So glad I got to see it live. WFA was the next night in Vegas and I was fortunate enough to go see that too. 

I didn’t realize how over the hill Ken was until this fight. I always wanted Tito to lose during this time. Great card though.

The first PPV that sold over 100,000 buys for Zuffa.

Fabes -

That was an amazing show. Lawler almost killed Tiki. Chuck KO'd Babalu. It was such a stacked card. So glad I got to see it live. WFA was the next night in Vegas and I was fortunate enough to go see that too. 

Almost killed Tiki? Exaggerate much? They stopped that on a cut.

But ya. It was a great show. 

Hughes vs Castillo

Newton vs Spratt

Arlovski vs Freeman

2 Likes

![](upload://gwGRUcLJG4KkQUxof0s86HVbw8I.jpeg)

Due to the injuries, would Ken from UFC 6 of put up a better fight?

I remember it well. I remember thinking Tito was going to win but was hoping that Ken would put up a good showing and get some shots in. I really didn't like Tito at the time and I was a huge fan of Ken from WWF. Ken had a fairly decent showing against Frye and Fujita, and I think it caused some people to think Ken would do good. It's so long ago now, but I just remember thinking Tito was too much. 

It was a battered and broken down old Ken with an ACL injury versus Tito Ortiz in his absolute physical and mental prime. 

That said, while Tito dominated him - I always thought Ken showed a lot of guts in that fight. I remember him catching Tito good with a punch at one point, but outside of that - it was just survival mode mostly. 

Ken did get back to his feet with pretty nice scramble if I remember.

The first PPV I ever bought and what a card.

Robbie Lawler knocking the sense out of Tiki.

Arlovski dismantling Freeman.

Chucks shin landing on Babalu's face.

Prime Hughes dominating Castillo.

Tito was so dominant in that fight but I swear Ken landed a big shot early on that wobbled him. Need to rewatch it for nostalgia.

https://youtu.be/fbFC3TtFUmQ

1 Like