UFC 98: The Return of the Old Matt Hughes

I'll never get the Matt Hughes hate. The guy makes a few jokes that rub people the wrong way and suddenly he's the anti christ. Other guys like say Randy can leave his wife and kids out to dry and he's a hero. I'm not even trying to pick on Randy just saying in this day and age when so many athletes in all sports are doing the wrong things it's kind of funny to direct hate at a guy that as far as I can tell has never really done anything wrong other then have kind of a prickish sense of humor.

I read Longo's comments in the Sherdog article and the only reasons he mentions for Serra not liking Hughes were the comments he made to GSP and Din Thomas on TUF. That is all stuff we saw on TV and pretty tame I thought surely something more had to have happened behind the scenes. More then anything I think after the TUF show Serra started spewing stuff about Hughes as a way to hype a potential fight and get some exposure. Obviously it worked for him because without it he never would have been able to be coach of TUF and get the exposure he got.

But at the end of the day the whole thing is manufactured to me. Don't get me wrong by this point I'm sure they don't like each other after you hear a guy blast you on TV over and over it's pretty hard not to dislike him. But honestly I'm just not into the grudge matches and frankly this isn't that interesting of a fight to me. I think Hughes will probably win. Serra is counting on not getting taken down but the only guys that have been able to avoid getting taken down by Hughes are guys like GSP and Alves that are bigger and stronger then he is. Serra is more like the guys that Hughes made a living beating back in the day when he was champ.

Your Arsonist - Serra is not an asshole. He's a new yorker.

Yep! According to enlightened forum member Excalibur23, being a New Yorker is roughly equivalent to deliberately injuring your training partners and laughing about it afterwards, not to mention having a laundry list of personal indiscretions outside the ring!

kungfugrip - Just because he closed his eye and hit 1 homerun doesnt make him Mike Tyson(early years).

He landed a very similar punch and almost finished Karo with it seconds into their fight before he ran in and got tied up in the clinch, dude.

ophusker - I'll never get the Matt Hughes hate. The guy makes a few jokes that rub people the wrong way and suddenly he's the anti christ.

LOL, yeah. The jokes are what people don't like!

kungfugrip - boxing is better. Just because he closed his eye and hit 1 homerun doesnt make him Mike Tyson(early years).

i dont remember mike tyson ever hitting a homerun.

Well, it turns out they are going to fight, not have a Miss America contest, so I'd say Hughes is the favorite.

Hughes via paramedics having to remove his fist from Serra's mouth

No doubt....

I have a free lunch riding on Hughes and I'm fairly confident he'll finish Serra. Not sure why people are picking Serra other than they hate Hughes.

not nice calling him old....

and when I said Serra was a new yorker it was not meant to be disrespectful. It just means that he comes off as naturally aggressive, loud, and even a little arrogant. Don't call him an asshole on the UG just because you know he wouldn't be afraid to call you one face to face.

I also used to be a big Matt Hughes fan...God I hope that Serra beats him like a fucking drum.