UFC Best Fights 1993-1995

What are your favourite fights of that period?  Will be doing 1996-1998 next.

smith/morris

royce/kimo

hackney/sumo

howard/payne

royce/hackney

tank/matua

worsham/varelens

smith/rudyard

tank/oleg

ruas/varelens

Good choices, I kept it to one fight from each event but will try and add more next time.  I think there will be more to choose from between 1996 and 1998.  On watching it now you realise that with a little bit of jiu-jitsu knowledge Kimo should have beaten Royce.

Think I will just do 1996-1997 next, plenty to choose from.

frye/goodridge

schultz/goodridge

coleman/frye

abbott/nelmark

frye/abbott

belfort/ferrozo

belfort/abbott

mezger/ortiz

smith/coleman

couture/belfort

smith/morris was the first UFC fight I ever watched. It was an eye opener. All the mysticism of the martial arts built up over years of Black Belt magazine, Karate Kid, McDojos, JCVD and ninja movies, all gone in 30 seconds, crushed by Pat Smith’s repeated elbows to Scott Morris’ head. I was hooked.

JOESONDO - smith/morris was the first UFC fight I ever watched. It was an eye opener. All the mysticism of the martial arts built up over years of Black Belt magazine, Karate Kid, McDojos, JCVD and ninja movies, all gone in 30 seconds, crushed by Pat Smith's repeated elbows to Scott Morris' head. I was hooked.

same here!, my 1st fight was royce/ichihara, but 2nd fight was smith/morris.

real eye opener to how important it was to know how to fight off your back. that fight made alot my friends afraid to get into fights at all worrying that could happen to them. I immediatly started training BJJ.

nrallen - 

Good choices, I kept it to one fight from each event but will try and add more next time.  I think there will be more to choose from between 1996 and 1998.  On watching it now you realise that with a little bit of jiu-jitsu knowledge Kimo should have beaten Royce.

i picked a couple from some events cause I really didnt have any fav fights from ufc1,5,uu95. if i hd to pick a fav from each of those events it’d prob be:

ufc1- rosier/frazeir

ufc5- hess/anderson

uu95- severn/tank

THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX -
JOESONDO - smith/morris was the first UFC fight I ever watched. It was an eye opener. All the mysticism of the martial arts built up over years of Black Belt magazine, Karate Kid, McDojos, JCVD and ninja movies, all gone in 30 seconds, crushed by Pat Smith's repeated elbows to Scott Morris' head. I was hooked.

same here!, my 1st fight was royce/ichihara, but 2nd fight was smith/morris.

real eye opener to how important it was to know how to fight off your back. that fight made alot my friends afraid to get into fights at all worrying that could happen to them. I immediatly started training BJJ.

Yup, it was an eye opening experience for a lot of people. Many assumed that if a martial arts guy lost a fight, it was because he wasn't very good. No one could fathom a "master" losing so completely. We also had an image of what a martial arts fight would look like based on the movies. Sure that's not what the fights we see/are involved in look like, but that's because we weren't "masters".

Good stuff

No one ever mentions it, but Orlando Weit vs. Robert Lucarelli

Id love just once per year to have a 185lbs+ open weight like vale tudo or old nhb rules tournament or even just “super fights”. … it’ll never happen but we’d have different champs with those rules

Brings back so many memories!  I moved out to LA in 95 and had all the VHSs.  Watched them nonstop..  

Honestly there is something special about that time. Soccer kicks, hair pulling, groin shots, headbutts.....

Maybe these guy where not as well rounded as today. But they had balls, fighting spirit and they went for the finish......Pretty tough guys back then....

Zero1 - 

Honestly there is something special about that time. Soccer kicks, hair pulling, groin shots, headbutts.....

Maybe these guy where not as well rounded as today. But they had balls, fighting spirit and they went for the finish......Pretty tough guys back then....

No one sitting out waiting for a title shot, no one looking to make millions, no one cutting weight or trying to game the system. These guys were real fighters who showed up to fight. Most of today’s “fighters” could learn something from them.

Zero1 - 

Yep…

Sub

nrallen -

Kimo did have a little bit of bjj. He went and trained with joe morira( holy butched spelling!!!)

ViciousJBone - 

Brings back so many memories!  I moved out to LA in 95 and had all the VHSs.  Watched them nonstop..  

Curious your move to the area did it have anything to do with finding places to train ?

Or more of a general move ?

I forgot all about Ruas chopping Varleans down like a tree, fuck! lol

That was great!