UFC Considering Chandler vs Gaethje

Chandler claims Justin has turned the fight down on 3 seperate occasions. He must really think sitting and waiting will get him a title shot.

I see where Justin is coming from. He feels he was passed up for the fight against Charles for the vacant belt.

1 Like

Gaethje’s last fight was a loss 9 months ago. Waiting around and hoping for another title shot seems like a very bad idea. Poirier is fighting Olivera so Dariush, Chandler and Makhachev are the top ranked potential opponents for Gaethje.

Gaethje vs Chandler seems like the obvious fight to make (Makhachev can fight Dariush).

I know one thing Gaethje said was he was upset about the money Chandler was making when he was just entering the UFC and then got a title fight off of 1 win.

I’m sorry but Gaethje is a 5-3 UFC fighter. He is only 1-1 vs the current UFC top 15 LW fighters. When you are 1-1 vs the current elite fighters in your division, you better suck it up and go out there and get a W before talking about what you are entitled too.

Ali pushing for him to get a title shot is silly. Gaethje is 1-3 in his career vs top 5 ranked UFC fighters. Not entitled to a title shot. Go beat Chandler, then make demands.

1 Like

Waiting around for a title shot or a pay bump contract renegotiation while you are 1-3 vs top 5 UFC fighters is not smart.

Ehh, would like to see chandler vs Islam over gaethje. Maybe poirier vs gaethje 2 for #1 contender. Beniel can fight winner of chandler/Islam.

worse idea ever. Dustin Gaethje 2 for number one contender?? Dustin has earned it with 3 straight wins after losing to Khabib. Meanwhile Justin is sitting on the sidelines bitching. He should fight Chandler if he wants another title fight. Get a win dude.

2 Likes

Gathjes last fight was an ass whipping. His last win was beating Ferguson like a piñata which a few others have done as well. He’s be crazy not to take this fight.

Seems like an absolute no brainer

This is what should happen.

1. Oliveira fights Poirier

2. Gaethje gets to fight the winner of that fight.

3. Chandler should fight Dariush.

4. Islam should fight Ferguson.

3 Likes

Gaethje vs Chandler
Dariush vs Islam
RDA vs Gillespie
Poirier vs Oliveira
Gamrot vs Riddell
Tsarukyan vs Ismagulov

2 Likes

I believe this will happen 100%

End of the Tony era as he will get cut with the loss

1 Like

Canuck, why the hell not have Gaetje vs ? as Comain of Olives v Poirier for next #1 LW contender on same event?

This should be practice for every title fight possible instead of having an RDA or Chandler weigh in as backup with no fight.

If you’d rather Gaetje fight Benil, Islam, RDA or hell even that nightmare for all, Gillespie instead of Chandler, fair enough, but Gaetje in his own words following the Khabib loss, needs another W again at SOMEbody before ANOTHER title shot. Have him beat up Jorge for all I care, but I needs a win.

Not only was he soundly defeated by Khabib, it was for the title and he hasn’t fought since, this seems to be forgotten by those confused.

Seems time and Ali’s influence have changed Justin’s tune.

Reality is that Gaetje vs McGregor has been the fight to make for years at this point and if not for leg break & Conor’s apparent long held unwillingness to fight Justin, should be next , and that is why Chandler instead, also fresh off a title fight loss, makes most sense.

Should’ve been McGregor vs Gaetje instead of Cerrone, prior to or following the Maywhether bout, instead of Poirier x2, but shoehorning McGregor into title or #1 contender fights, far above his actual proper ranking, has resulted in this weird spot Justin finds himself in the last few years.

Perhaps he also sees Jorge and soon Colby’s path of just waiting it out being viable.

Justin was the interim title holder and that should count for something imo.

Let the recently crowned champ or the new champ defend against a former title holder.

Chandler/Dariush shows that Dariush is still on an upward swing if he wins and shows Chandler isn’t on his way out.

Ferguson/ Islam shows something similar in that Islam is on his way up and Ferguson isn’t on his way out.

I’m sure my MMA math here is solid.
:wink:

Makes too much sense for that to happen

1 Like

Gaethje vs Conor should have happened but the UFC f*cked that up by playing “Money Fight” game instead of following the rankings.

After hearing him speak about why he hasn’t taken a fight the other day it sounds like a $ thing.

Chandler got paid to come to the UFC. Probably making more than him.

One thing Ali is smart about is he tells his fighters not to talk about their contracts to the press.

I’m convinced these little snippets are dropped just so they can see what gets the most traffic and interaction on social media. If nobody talks about, shares or posts the fight, it doesn’t happen go through.

My understanding is that JG originally accepted the Chandler fight, and then the UFC canned it in favor of Chandler v. Olivera.

My sense is that Justin is also being frustrated by being a company guy who accepted the big fight, and then having the rug pulled out from under him.

1 Like

Chandler doesn’t deserve to fight Gaethje, just like he didn’t deserve to fight Oliveira. Let him fight a lower ranked opponent and earn something in the UFC.

Not a huge Chandler fan but he did smoke dan hooker, who was ranked 6th or something when he fought him. Thats essentially what got him top 5 ranking. And being the only fighter aside from Dustin and CHarles coming off a win, its why he got the title fight since Dustin took the Conor fight.

As I mentioned before, its been more than a year since Justin had a win
let HIM get a win vs a top 5 ranked guy before making more demands.