UFC contract should have alternative fighter claus

Ok this may be stupid but why couldn't the UFC contracts have alternative fighter clause written in.

For example JBJ vs Hendo but if Hendo pulls out machida takes his place and if JBJ pulls out them Rashad steps in.

This avoids cancelled events and Everyone is aware of the situation up front.

Thoughts? Is this just unrealistic?? Phone Post

Because then you've got two people tied up for every one fight, and things just start getting really, really messy.

It's a nice idea in theory, but trying to put apply it for real would be a nightmare. 

MentaL - It's means the reserve had to spend cash on a camp for a fight that may never happen. Stupidest idea ever. Phone Post

Not to mention tying up even more fighters from future events. Phone Post

MentaL - It's means the reserve had to spend cash on a camp for a fight that may never happen. Stupidest idea ever. Phone Post

Not the stupidest ever. Come on there has to be dumber.

It could be one alternate and they could get a fee if they don't fight. Reality is a lot of guys will put their hand up to fight without a camp and at the last minute, so what is the difference here. But it does ties the champion in officially. Phone Post

Only if Fedor is the replacement for every fighter 205 +

What they should do is impose a clause that if you refuse a last minute replacement because your opponent got injured, it's considered a forfeit and you vacate your belt by default.

Seriously, you should fight whomever the promotion sends in the ring regardless of who you trained for. Be a well rounded fighter, be a warrior.

Jones was just selfish in this and will likely never get another title shot once he loses the belt. Watch how quickly he will quit. Phone Post

Could work for title fights or main events only. Phone Post

notsometourist - Could work for title fights or main events only. Phone Post

Yes this what I am referring to not all fights Phone Post

Swift1 - What they should do is impose a clause that if you refuse a last minute replacement because your opponent got injured, it's considered a forfeit and you vacate your belt by default.

Seriously, you should fight whomever the promotion sends in the ring regardless of who you trained for. Be a well rounded fighter, be a warrior.

Jones was just selfish in this and will likely never get another title shot once he loses the belt. Watch how quickly he will quit. Phone Post

I like Phone Post

I agree.
No alternates have to be training for the fight.
Simply offer the fight (like they did for Sonnen) to every top ten fighter in the weight class.
Then award the CHAMP, the choice to fight whichever top 10 that step up to challenge.
Simply inform all top 10 that they could get the call. Phone Post

wisdomseeker76 - I agree.
Simply offer the fight (like they did for Sonnen) to every top ten fighter in the weight class.
Then award the CHAMP, the choice to fight whichever top 10 that step up to challenge.

Perfect. Whatever the clause just have a clause that the show is on Phone Post

Naheb -
wisdomseeker76 - I agree.

Perfect. Whatever the clause just have a clause that the show is on Phone Post

Haha. For real! Phone Post

contract should state that in the event of a fighter injury, the UFC finds you a new opponent to fight. If you refuse to fight and are not injured, the offense is punishable by forfeiture of pay and or possible forfeiture of title belt. with possible termination if deemed so fit.

Its the UFC's belt and discretion whom the fighter should fight. Days of fighters themselves picking and choosing who to fight or who not to fight should be completely abolished. Leave it to the organization you are employed with to make this decision. Phone Post

armbarheelhook - contract should state that in the event of a fighter injury, the UFC finds you a new opponent to fight. If you refuse to fight and are not injured, the offense is punishable by forfeiture of pay and or possible forfeiture of title belt. with possible termination if deemed so fit.

Its the UFC's belt and discretion whom the fighter should fight. Days of fighters themselves picking and choosing who to fight or who not to fight should be completely abolished. Leave it to the organization you are employed with to make this decision. Phone Post

I hear you loud and clear Phone Post

Back in the pre 100 days, didnt they usually have a fighter "on-call" training...in case 1 of the main eventers got injured? ... Phone Post

There usually is someone ready and willing. In this case, hendo tried to gut it out leaving it to the last min. A few LHW turned down fight rightfully so, needing more time to prepare. What gets me is, why didn't bones just take the charl fight to keep the event intact? Phone Post

I posted this in another thread but I think it would be a good idea to do cards by weight class. I realize it would take some time to line up everyone's fights since its not the way things are done now but once it's sorted each card's main event will be a championship bout (or high quality matchup) and every other fight is matched up down the line.

Makes it pretty simple to have the next best guy step up since he's already training and there's already another guy lower down the ranks ready to take his spot. At the worst the lowest under card fight get scrapped as everyone moves up to fill the holes.

It would make deciding the next contender easier and more legitimate as well because it wouldn't be limited to a single eliminator bout but similar to how Machida earned the next shot a couple weeks ago (before all this shit happened) by having a more impressive performance than Shogun.

IIRC the all HW card had a couple shake ups but things were easy to fix because there were plenty of guys not only willing to fight but actually training and ready. Phone Post

It seems to be common sense for at the very least that the champion should have a clause in his contract that says when he signs to fight on a given day, he will fight a replacement as long as they make the weight. But the reality is, you can't make someone fight even if its in their contract. What would prevent someone such as Jones from finding out that he has to fight someone he doesn't want to fight in 8 days and suddenly get an "injury" and pull out himself? I am as upset as the next guy that he refused the fight, but I just don't see a way out of being at the champions mercy short of striping them of the belt and that's a slippery slope that I'm not sure you want to go down.

I love the idea of having 1 weight class fights. That would work out perfect.
Only problem, will fans pay to watch every weight class? May need to do a half and half to please fans??? Phone Post

wisdomseeker76 - 

I love the idea of having 1 weight class fights. That would work out perfect.
Only problem, will fans pay to watch every weight class? May need to do a half and half to please fans??? Phone Post

I was thinking of that, which would be good as well. Pair a heavier class with one of the newer/lighter classes so there is more appeal and you would still be able to have 5-6 fights from each class.