If the UFC did that I think it would help fans learn and appreciate the
ground game more.

I think i even saw the ref moving his hands in the "incomplete pass"
motion when the sub attempt failed...

pretty cool and it raises savvy fans

like wrestling?

Shootfighting.

Great idea.

And where's the on screen graphics showing what guys are trying for.. There's still so much they could do.

I think anything that breaks down the grappling action is a step, whether it's replays or teleprompter...

I love it when the ref yells,  "GIVE UP?, GIVE UP?"

UFC doesn't have near the funding like Pride does.

"UFC doesn't have near the funding like Pride does."

lol @ rip van winkle

I do like it when the ref tells the fighter to defend themselves. Definately prepares the fan for a stoppage. The arm up thing is a good idea as well for the live crowd.

Good idea. I wish the UFC would adopt this.

"And where's the on screen graphics showing what guys are trying for.. There's still so much they could do."

Hey, never thought of that pulsy. Light bulb.

IMO, it still goes back to being like any other sport. Even if they didnt have the graphics WHILE the sub attempt is live (which would really help the necks out btw), even if they dont go back to Laimon's instructionals, they could simply show replays in detail or show each fighter's strengths in the previews and explain it.

Even in educating fans how MMA striking differs from boxing; show how Chuck keeps out of td distance and selects his shots while always being aware of the td attempt.

Babalu subbed a lot of guys before Chuck. How did he sweep guys and take their back, how does he maintain back control, what steps to take for the RNC.

IMO Rogan does a good job but pictures are worth a 1000 wds.

"In Pride, whenever there is a submission attempt, the referee raises his hand until the attempt is abandonded or of course successful"

I believe this is considered a "Catch" as you can hear the ref say it and its considered in the scoring.

how much did the telestrator do for people's understanding of football? or when they go to a wide angle shot and show the whole play develop?

LOL at "YOO HORDEENG TOO MACH!!!"

Yes, also more officials along the cage would help too with things you can't see.

which is better? "FIGHT!" or "Come on guys, work"

anyway my original thought on the hand up during a sub attempt seems like something that is logical and easy to do. and um, CHEAP!

They could use the show on Spike to break down things down, kind of
like they do on NFL Live on ESPN. They usually show blocking schemes
and how plays are designed to get a receiver open or how a defense is
designed to confuse an offense. I think there is too much going on in
the live show to effectively break things down.

Give the refs outside the cage baseball bats to smash the fingers of anyone grabbing the cage, bet that would reduce the number of times people did it...

Thing is most UFC refs would have no clue when a submission attempt was happening...

whatever bunnymonster,

i dont know about mazagatti or whatever, but

BJM, Yamasaki and Herb Dean all know what's up.

GIVE UP??

GIVE UP??

ttt

"I think this helps the crowd learn when things are happening and become more educated."

Just stop. So the refs hand it what taught everyone in Japan about submissions? Interesting... Not sure I would post something that stupid on a public forum though.

you're a moron. of course, people take notice when they are told to take notice.