UFC Fight Pass free? So why charge me a dollar?

I was under the impression that the UFC Fight Pass was going to be free until 1 March 2014.

So why charge me a dollar on my credit card when I signed up for the supposedly "free" service? I don't mind the dollar, but they should be upfront about it, no?

US$ 0= free

US$ 1= 1 dollar fee. Not free.

Or is it normal for US companies to grab a dollar for a supposedly "free" service?

It's likely not a charge, just an authorization hold.

Good scam if it does go through :).

Temporarly hold does make sense. Thanks. VU to mose and Strange Brew.

I'll keep an eye on it just in case though...

They ping your account with a dollar to verify that it is a valid open account. Then they will automatically start charging you when the trial period is over and you forget to unsubscribe. Is this your first card? Phone Post 3.0

Stan Wang - why would they need an authorization to not charge you?

I'm convinced the scam is to hold on to everyones dollar for as long as possible and accrue interest. Get a couple of million people to sign up, hold the same amount in your account for a week and you can make some interest no? Pays for snow in Vegas?

Tudley - They ping your account with a dollar to verify that it is a valid open account. Then they will automatically start charging you when the trial period is over and you forget to unsubscribe. Is this your first card? Phone Post 3.0

Never had anyone charge or hold any amount of money for a free service before (but then again, this is the first time I have signed up for a US company's "free" service).

It's kind of unethical in my opinion.

Common practice. Most people don't notice because the amount is usually a buck or less, and it drops off your pending charges in a few days. I can guarantee almost every single person complaining has had the same thing done by other companies. Phone Post 3.0

Calavaro - 
Tudley - They ping your account with a dollar to verify that it is a valid open account. Then they will automatically start charging you when the trial period is over and you forget to unsubscribe. Is this your first card? Phone Post 3.0

Never had anyone charge or hold any amount of money for a free service before (but then again, this is the first time I have signed up for a US company's "free" service).

It's kind of unethical in my opinion.

Nothing really unethical and a very common practice. If you cancel before March 1, you pay nothing as the trial is free. After that, it is $9.99/month.

Don't want to pay anything? Cancel in February. Until then, enjoy a lot of content and some live fights.

Netflix does the same thing when you start a trial.

ajdefiant - Everything ever that is a free trial does this. The UG just looks for reasons to hate the UFC these days. When will you dummies get it that if there's no UFC there's no mainstream MMA. Period.

Hate the UFC? Hell, I buy every damn event and I a vocal supporter of what they are doing. More events? Bring it on. More events in Asia? Fuck yeah! Regional TUF? Even better. Charge/hold a dollar on a credit card? Surprising and thus the thread. Never saw that before for a free service. Thread replies has explained how US companies operate generally, and the issue is clear.

Calavaro -
Stan Wang - why would they need an authorization to not charge you?

I'm convinced the scam is to hold on to everyones dollar for as long as possible and accrue interest. Get a couple of million people to sign up, hold the same amount in your account for a week and you can make some interest no? Pays for snow in Vegas?

Snow in Vegas, now it makes sense. Phone Post 3.0