UFC fighter relied on donations for food

UFC parent company Endeavor is concerned that an expected $150 million dividend payment will not be forthcoming from the world's dominant fight league. Meanwhile, UFC women's bantamweight Duda Santana and her family were going hungry, until some fellow fighters stepped up to help.

"Cowboyzinha" lost her UFC debut in June of 2019, and has seen multiple fights fall through since, most recently due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. She lives in Rio's infamous City of God favela, sharing a home with her mother, her four-year-old daughter, and six siblings. With shelter in place orders issued, there was no means for the family to make money, and thus no food for groceries.

UFC lightweight Alan Patrick heard about her dire circumstances and reached out to 80 fellow fighters on a WhatsApp group. Patrick tells Guilherme Cruz for MMA Fighting that Glover Teixeira was the first to donate, and has been joined by others including Amanda Ribas, Anderson dos Santos, and Raphael Pessoa.

“I helped ‘Cowboyzinha’ because I’ve been in her situation before,” said Patrick. “I know how it feels to be hungry, to share a house with several siblings and not have anything to eat. We know ‘Cowboyzinha’ and her family are victims of the system. The system doesn’t let you acquire knowledge and grow as a person.

“Thank God and thank to sports she was able to achieve something and get to the world’s biggest promotion, but everybody in Brazil thinks like, ‘boom, your problems are over’ if you’re signed by the UFC.”

“It’s embarrassing. Not for me, but for the [UFC] organization in Brazil. They could have thought, ‘no, let me do this.’ I started the campaign and talked to other UFC fighters. ‘Are we going to see this story and not do nothing while our friend starves?’ Doing for someone what others have done for me in the past is priceless.”

Santana gratefully accepted the donations, and bought groceries for her entire family.

“We’re broke like everyone else,” said Santana. “It’s complicated. I depend on the fight and the win, and I was counting on the money [from a fight vs. Sarah Alpar in early May made impossible by travel restrictions from Brazil including the closure of the US Embassy visa section]. We work hard and train hard every day to fight, so it’s a bit frustrating. That’s the word, we get frustrated.”

“I want to fight, but I think it will take a bit [until I get offered a fight],” said Santana. [Coronavirus] worries me. I’ll tell you this, I’m scared of this virus. I just heard that a friend of a friend, someone we know, just died. He was 28 and very healthy. That scares you. But I want to fight. Tell Dana White to give me an opportunity so I can put on a show [laughs].”

2 Likes

Boohoo! Get a real job then if the one you have does not make ends meet. It’s not rocket science.

10 Likes
KaiTangata - Boohoo! Get a real job then if the one you have does not make ends meet. It's not rocket science.

Are you familiar with that favela?  You sound super ignorant. It’s a completely corrupt system and it currently has a stay at home order. 

You don’t just “go out and get a job”. 

…you really should try to learn a thing about something before being so negative. 

10 Likes

So you 2 assholes above feel the same way about everyone else who are laid off due to Covid, right? I mean, you lost your job because of Covid, just get off your ass and get another one right?

6 Likes

I think ufc should put their fighters on a monthly draw and deduct it from their next fight purse. At least the lower on the card to the mid tier ones. The only stip to safeguard them from being taken advantage of would be that you gotta fight once every 6 months minimum or the draw stops. And you can elect to stop taking a draw any time you want to. 

Ronniebigbudz -

I think ufc should put their fighters on a monthly draw and deduct it from their next fight purse. At least the lower on the card to the mid tier ones. The only stip to safeguard them from being taken advantage of would be that you gotta fight once every 6 months minimum or the draw stops. And you can elect to stop taking a draw any time you want to. 

And then just pay them in UFC bucks that can only be redeemed at the UFC store?

I actually sort of agree but that's the argument against it. "By the time I fight and get paid, it all goes back to the UFC and my trainers. I don't have any money and have to sign the contract again, that's how they own you".

That and the whole "they're just independent contractors, we don't have to take care of them" approach.

3 Likes
KaiTangata - Boohoo! Get a real job then if the one you have does not make ends meet. It's not rocket science.

I love when fat Americans tell it like it is!!

#MAGA

4 Likes
Mountain Medic -
Ronniebigbudz -

I actually sort of agree but that's the argument against it. "By the time I fight and get paid, it all goes back to the UFC and my trainers. I don't have any money and have to sign the contract again, that's how they own you".

That and the whole "they're just independent contractors, we don't have to take care of them" approach.

I had a robust laugh at the part about paying in UFC bucks and UFC store,Thanks MM!

NorthSouthDinner4Two -

#MAGA

Except everything is shut the fuck down right now. Fucking idiots.

BrckNoHitBk -
NorthSouthDinner4Two -

#MAGA

Except everything is shut the fuck down right now. Fucking idiots.

I was being sarcastic

You sound as bad as Deblasio tellling peple to get a job as a doctor or nurse if they want to work 

1 Like

Low level fighter is about as glamorous as minor league baseball player. Got to give those folks credit for going for it because it almost never works out.

There is more to this situation of course than we see with the poverty issue.

I think it's just good sense though for everyone to plan for rough times financially.

The truth is that even those who make millions often don't plan and end up dealing with the same issues.

It's just that they have more resources to tap.

KaiTangata - Boohoo! Get a real job then if the one you have does not make ends meet. It's not rocket science.

For complex reasons the economic situation is Brazil is such that millions of qualified people can't get a job. Getting 10k or 20k from the UFC once or twice a year is an extraordinary opportunity. And everyone is sheltered in place, as noted, so no one can leave to work.

HYBRID JON -
Mountain Medic -
Ronniebigbudz -

I had a robust laugh at the part about paying in UFC bucks and UFC store,Thanks MM!

Indeed that's some hilarious shit VU MM

KaiTangata - Boohoo! Get a real job then if the one you have does not make ends meet. It's not rocket science.

Pretty much this. Don’t be a cage fighter if you want money or the respect of your peers. If you’re in a first world country, go to a community college and learn anything…HVAC, auto repair, dental hygienist, whatever. Anything is better than becoming a desperate brain damaged self-harmer hurting yourself to line the pockets of a red faced sociopathic scumbag like Dana White.

1 Like

ufc has what 400 fighters?

dana should have sent out 3-4k stimulous and ate it to prevent anarchy or mutinany