UFC Fighters to Be Prohibited from Placing Bets on Any UFC Fight

I think one of the contender series guys this year, just bet his entire purse on himself and doubled his pay day.

1 Like

The fact that the UFC allowed its fighters — and anyone associated with them — to bet on fights was mind-boggling. At a minimum, the optics were terrible. In a worst-case scenario, the UFC’s hands-off approach opened the door to bettors having inside information on fighters.

When the UFC closed that door in mid-October via a memo from UFC Chief Business Officer Hunter Campbell, I supported the step the UFC had taken.

However, just because the UFC did the right thing by finally prohibiting athletes from betting on UFC fights doesn’t mean we should turn a blind eye to the fact that the UFC made this move without the input or approval of the fighters. After all, the fighters are the ones most affected by the policy change.

This new policy falls under the recently dusted-off UFC Athlete Conduct Policy (when’s the last time we heard that mentioned?). This is just another in a long list of changes, requirements and restrictions that the UFC has set for fighters without them having a say, or being categorized as employees.
The list of changes the UFC mandated includes the ability to represent sponsors inside the octagon. The mandating of fight kits. A tenure-based system for fighter outfitting pay. The adoption of the USADA drug testing program and its whereabouts provision. Of course, the often ignored UFC Code of Conduct itself falls into this category, as would the requirement of the fighters to appear for media obligations to promote UFC events.

If the UFC fighters were employees, these mandated items would be understandable as a condition of employment. However, UFC fighters are independent contractors and, as such, should be exempt from many things that the UFC forces on them. Unfortunately, the UFC has been allowed to run roughshod over the fighters because of it’s leverage and dominance in the market as the biggest MMA promoter in the world.

While it’s probably the proper rule to make in a vacuum, telling fighters they can no longer bet on fights is also just one of the many examples of the UFC overstepping its bounds. This is also why a group of their “independent contractors” are currently taking the fight to court, pushing back and arguing that the UFC has long abused its power.

2 Likes

You obviously can’t bet on yourself regardless because you still can control the outcome.

I don’t mean betting on you winning but also betting on method of winning.

Let’s say you bet on yourself to win by decision.

That now gives you control on making sure not to finish the guy and let’s say wrestle fuck your way to decision.

That’s the problem.

Not sure if there is a law that specifically says you can’t bet on straight win and not specifics but even so there will still be a conflict because you are still a participant.

First I remember of this was Bernard Hopkins vs Felix Trinidad (I think) when B-Hop came out with goldenpalace.com on his back. If I remember right he got 800k for that and bet it on himself.

How will the UFC know?

3 Likes

Blaf has spies everywhere , it Vegas

99% of people are betting online

1 Like

Could be

I don’t think the UFC has too much to worry about. Bellator on the other hand

Another way to take money away from the fighters. It’s about par for the course for the UFC these days, lol.

1 Like

What fucking nonsense. Get a grip

2 Likes

Is Jon Anik banned from gambling? I heard DC say he bets on every event. Like a ton of prop bets . Heard others say he’s always betting on other sports too, he’s a gambler.

1 Like

Why would he be? He isn’t competing or involved with those competing or preparing. He just calls the fights. Has zero ability to influence outcome

2 Likes

2 Likes

Imagine if Hawk couldn’t bet on himself in Over The Top…

Anik shouldn’t be allowed to bet on UFC fights.

I’m sure his degenerate gambling wouldn’t stop him, probably pay someone else to do it for him, but he does potentially have more info than most to bet on

I thought it included employees of the UFC

Anik gets exclusive interviews with the fighters before their fights. Every fighter meets with the commentary team to give them notes and stuff to talk about during the fight. They will ask the game plan and everything, obviously fighters will lie, it’s supposed to be off the record and inside information until the fight.