UFC Fighters who Smile Before a Fight Lose More

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/humor-sapiens/201305/ufc-fighters-who-smile-fight-lose-more

Anyone give this a read?

The idea behind the study is that people who smile more or have more intense smiles, are less aggressive in nature and also tend to have lower testosterone levels, compared to those who smile less or have weaker smiles. Studies show that low status individuals smile more than higher status people, and in general, smiling is seen as a sign of appeasement. Based on these studies, the authors wanted to see if “smile intensity prior to a physical confrontation would unintentionally leak information about the reduced hostility and aggression of expressers, and thereby act as a sign of reduced physical dominance”. In other words, the hypothesis is that those who smile prior to a fight lack the aggression needed to win it, and the non-smiling fighter may conclude that his opponent is weak and submissive, which could motivate him even more and improve his chances of winning.

To test their hypothesis, the researchers coded the smile intensity of 152 UFC fighters one day prior to their fight. The photographs were taken during the traditional face-off between the fighters. Four independent judges, blind to the study hypothesis, coded the smiles for intensity. The researchers also controlled for potential confounding variables, such as the gambling odds of the fight.

The results showed that fighters who displayed a less intense smile won more fights. This was true for all fights, including the ones that were decided by a knockout. Interestingly, smile intensity predicted fight outcomes for the fights on the day after the photograph was taken but not for subsequent fights. This finding suggests that smile intensity does not necessarily reflect an individual personality trait, but rather is a situational cue that that has short-lived consequences. Think of it as the difference between having a humorous outlook that affects your life as a whole, compared to laughing in response to a specific joke that does not necessarily reflect your humor preferences.

Very interesting. Phone Post 3.0

yellow wrkahlc - Very interesting. Phone Post 3.0

Thank you Gil Greengross, Ph.D for helping my gambling addiction.

12SixElbow -
yellow wrkahlc - Very interesting. Phone Post 3.0

Thank you Gil Greengross, Ph.D for helping my gambling addiction.

Phone Post 3.0

I'm going to need superCalo to confirm this Phone Post 3.0

Rashad Evans stanky leg Phone Post

12toSix - 

Rashad Evans stanky leg Phone Post

I do not approve of your user name.

I've always wondered why a person would smile in a situation where the other persons trying to knock him/her out. So annoying! And my bad man, I guess we're both bamfs when it comes to creating usernames, had no idea you existed at the time. Phone Post

Not exactly on topic but worth a share and a watch 

One exception to this: Anderson Silva. Phone Post 3.0

John Dodsons smile annoys me.

UGCTT_painbringer - 

"I don't think its nice you laughin!

See my horse don't like people laughin!

He gets the silly idea that they're laughin at HIM!

Now if you apologize like I know you're going to..I might be able to convince him that you really didn't mean it!"

No wonder Fedor was so successful. Gunnar is going to have a great career as well. Phone Post 3.0

voorhees - 
UGCTT_painbringer - 

"I don't think its nice you laughin!

See my horse don't like people laughin!

He gets the silly idea that they're laughin at HIM!

Now if you apologize like I know you're going to..I might be able to convince him that you really didn't mean it!"

VTFU

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How bout smiling during a fight ? That annoys me.

Mayhem Miller vs. St.Pierre comes to mind, along with Ben Saunders. Although Ben kicked some ass later and made it up to me like Steven Seagal showed him to.

Well I'm no scientist but Uriah Faber is always smiling and he wins the majority of his fights. Phone Post 3.0

Thank you Dr. caLo. This will help the Lupo Locks thread

Uncle Muay Thai - Well I'm no scientist but Uriah Faber is always smiling and he wins the majority of his fights. Phone Post 3.0
First guy that came to mind. Phone Post 3.0

Sam Alvey could've won TUF if he didn't smile 24/7 Phone Post 3.0

Uncle Muay Thai - Well I'm no scientist but Uriah Faber is always smiling and he wins the majority of his fights. Phone Post 3.0

He lost 4 of his last 10, thats 40 percent.

Either way you missed the entire point of the study