UFC "Fixes Fights" via Ring Rust - article

Pretty interesting article  http://www.mmamania.com/2010/3/23/1387065/ufc-fixes-fights-via-ring-rust

UFC "Fixes Fights" Via Ring Rust

A recent post on a MMAjunkie forum reveals that more than 9 out of 10 MMA fighters with "Ring Rust" loose fights.

It's also likely that UFC/Zuffa, being a Billion dollar business, has been armed with detailed stats of how "Ring Rust" can forecast the winner and looser of a fight. By controlling the outcome of a fight the promotion can limit the number of fighters it will build up as "top of the food chain", limit the number of fighters it will offer top pay, and allow it to shape future PPV fights that will deliver more profits.

For example, just a few of the fights in the last 2 years with Championship implications include these "ring rust" opponents with at least a 9 month layoff:

Randy Couture 14 Months - Loss (KO - Lesnar)

Rodrigo Nogueira 11 Months - Loss (TKO - Mir)

Roger Huerta 9 Months - Loss (Dec - Florian)

Kenny Florian 9 Months - Loss (Sub - Penn)

Sean Sherk 10 Months - Loss (TKO - Penn)

Thiago Alves 9 Months - Loss (Dec - St-Pierre)

Akihiro Gono 11 months - Loss (Dec - Hardy)

By selecting "ring rust" opponents the UFC can more easily predetermine who might win a fight and control future PPV profits.

For example: The UFC has already stated the winner of the Carwin/Mir fight will fight Brock Lesnar when he returns in the summer. On the surface it appears as though the UFC has no control, but the history of ring rust suggests the opposite.

This weekend's fight between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin has Carwin coming into the fight with over 1 year out of the ring. Ring rust for Carwin will give Frank Mir the edge to win and Mir would be the next opponent for Brock Lesnar.

A Lesnar/Mir 3 fight would be a much more profitable PPV, and potential future fight between the two, than a Lesnar/Carwin fight.

Once that Lesnar/Mir 3 fight takes place, Brock Lesnar's ring rust of more than one year would serve Frank Mir up as the Champ. The UFC can then tout Mir as "The best" since he beat Lesnar a second time and that would most likely deliver a Lesnar/Mir 4 and Lesnar/Mir 5 soon after.

Perhaps the UFC can let up some control and create tournaments, so we can find out who is really the best among it's fighters. 

I believe most of those fights would go that way 9/10 regardless of time since last fight.

He lost me at "loose" fights...

WEEZmatical - I believe most of those fights would go that way 9/10 regardless of time since last fight.

The favorite won in probably 6/7 of those fights, so I'm not sure how much ring rust factored in.  Still, the amount of time Carwin has had off is a lot compared to Mir, and I'd think being a close fight as it is, it will be somewhat of a factor.

3.5 months off vs. over a year is a substantial difference

ridiculous!

inf0 - looser?? really?? still in this day and age??

I noticed that as well.  good times.

Looser Pictures, Images and Photos

this metric of W/L evaluation seems really loose to me...

Thats dumb.

When you're a fighter coming up the ranks you have any number of guys to fight, lots of different match ups.

When you are THE contender there is only one guy to fight and you're basically at the mercy of where hes at scheduling-wise. If that guy suddenly has elbow surgery.. then what? Or say you win a fight to fight the winner of an upcoming title defense, eh?

Its just scheduling, imo.

radiobaby - 

Its just scheduling, imo.

I agree.  Can't always have both fighters in an upcoming matchup coming off fights at the same time prior.

Lies, damn lies and statistics, imo.

shane carwin posts on the UG. that would be funny if he reads this.

LOL@whoever put that shit up and double LOL@whoever didn't take it down afterwards

I've never been to "MMA Mania" but based on the above it's obviously because the site sucks and is run by fools

Mike Sanders - LOL@whoever put that shit up and double LOL@whoever didn't take it down afterwards

I've never been to "MMA Mania" but based on the above it's obviously because the site sucks and is run by fools

It is just a "fan post" on MMAMania taken from an MMAJunkie forum originally. 

MmaMania for news is actually a good site that I've followed for years.

JDV - 
Mike Sanders - LOL@whoever put that shit up and double LOL@whoever didn't take it down afterwards

It is just a "fan post" on MMAMania taken from an MMAJunkie forum originally. 
MmaMania for news is actually a good site that I've followed for years.

nope

yeah... i cant believe the loose shit is still thrown around

blue63 - mmamania is a fucking joke like 90% of the MMA Media

they habitually run with stories that aren't fact checked or are fabricated from random trolls on MMA forums

I'm not saying they're perfect, but they have a good amount of original content and good articles generally.  This wasn't an MMAMania article anyway, but a fan posting from a forum.

That post is an example of your basic biased troll job. Just look at the examples he tries to pass off as examples of the UFC fixing fights based on ring rust.

Randy/Lesnar - Randy asked for Lesnar as his first fight back. Got to blame Randy for that one.

Big Nog/Mir - This one is just plain bullshit considering they both had the same amount of time off. Mir fought at UFC 81. Big Nog also fought at UFC 81. Then they fought each other at UFC 92. They both had the same amount of time off between fights.

Sherk/Penn - Sherk was stripped of his title and suspended for nine months. The UFC put him on the first card they could against the new title contender as soon as his suspension was up.

Basically it's laughable to draw the conclusion that the UFC is fixing fights from the evidence he is throwing out there.

Also another indicator of troll job is if you follow the original link to the MMA Junkie forums you see the original poster didn't break it down by organization. He was only making a case for ring rust should be accounted for. But the troll immediately pick out the just the UFC examples and started spinning his B.S. while ignoring the examples from other organizations.

lol, I believe that's what's referred to as a hack piece.

BJ had like 7 months off between the GSP and Florian fights, Florian had like 8 and a half months off. 6 weeks fixed the outcome?

GSP had a little over 6 months off between the Penn and Alves fights, Alves had like 8 and some change. it's not that steep. that fight would go the same way 99.9 out of 100 times.

also, I love how this dipshit forgot to inclue the fact that Frank Mir also had 11 months off between the Lesnar and Nog fights. him and Nog fought on the same fucking Feb. 2nd card! lol. Nog only had six months between the Couture and Cain fights and also got knocked out, soooo?

contenders always have to wait some time for #1 contender fights and title shots unless they happen to randomly fall into the same relative schedule as the champ or their #1 contender bout opponent.

you would think the extra time would help guys like Alves and Florian be more prepared to fight the best LW and WW in the world. the champs are supposed to fight less often as they're always training for 5 round bouts and always fighting the best competition. if Alves or Florian only had 4 months and lost this guy would be spinning it that the contenders don't have long enough to train and are set up to "loose" the title fights so the UFC can have dominant champions.

Randy chose to leave the UFC and he's the one who demanded the big money fight with Lesnar. he's also a LHW fighting the biggest HW out there.

they set up Sherk to lose to Penn by what? spiking his carrot sticks with steroids and getting him suspended?

he had to take that time off and he obviously wanted to fight for the belt that was still his.

Huerta lost to Florian and Maynard because those were the two best fighters he had faced.

the ludwig-elkins fight was an obvious work.

bang did that intentionally.

FAIL

Does this mean that Lesnar's next fight will be "fixed" against him?

Fucking retarded article.